“No stay at the hotel, checked out the food first!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Queensferry Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Queensferry Hotel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“No stay at the hotel, checked out the food first!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were planning on a impusive overnight stay close to Edinburgh where we stay so decided to check out the Brook.
I assumed that if they look after a party of four for food then the hotel would be great - we decided overwhelmingly not to stay!!

The food in the restaurant which does have a fantastic view was less than basic to say the least, we ordered 2x BBQ chicken burgers @ an incredible £10.95 each, expecting at least a quality burger for the price.
The chicken was around half a filet in size, absolutely no taste and well overpriced. The decor reflects what the others reviews say in that it is tired and grubby.
All the staff are miserable and even though there were only 3 customers in the empty plates still sat on the table for a considerable time, we eventually had to go up to the bar to pay, when we did the immensely overpriced bill gave us a near heart attack! £4 for a lager and £3 for a soft drink!!

My advice travel a bit further in your journey and spend the money elsewhere, McDonalds do a better meal for half the price!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hungarian first
Bathgate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were shopping locally and knew of this place so decided to stop here for some lunch on Easter Sunday.

After parking we should have taken note of the shabby exterior, but we didn't. Once inside we approached the restaurant we should have taken note of the empty seats and left, but we didn't.

There was noone around as we waited to be seated so I picked up a menu from the wait here to seated area, only to be greeted with a rather abrupt older waitress asking what I wanted. She offered the 3 of us a menu eventually and went to set a table for 3 of us. This is point I now know we should have left, as she was so rude.

Anyway, she set us a table with the views over the bridges and water and this was actually the nicest thing about this experience. The menu offered little choice 4 or 5 starters, mains and desserts from a set Easter special menu.

2 of us decided on red wine for drinks. No wine list to pick from, no offer of what type of wine, or was house ok. Not very good at £5.60 per glass, served freezing COLD

I ordered a soup which was supposed to come with a warm crusty roll and butter. I had trouble getting my knife into the roll, it wasn't warm, and quite clearly baked off much earlier in the day and just left then thrown on the plate when I ordered soup. When the waiter came with our drinks, I mentioned the roll, he took it away and never bothered bringing another one. No apology and no discount to the billing.

The mains consisted of 2 chicken dishes and the sirloin beef, it would have better read 2 x dried out chicken with shoe leather breakfast bacon on it and sirloin beef with burnt edges. Probably worth stating at this point, my Dad who was with us is an retired chef and banquet manager.

None of us finished our meals, there was no presentation worth talking off, the food was dried out, lacking taste and just an absolutely terrible dining experience from start to finish.

The desserts were probably the pick of the food here, albeit at a guess bought in frozen options.

What we all found amazing was the complete lack of customer service or care. Not replacing the roll, noone asked at any point how our food was, noone asked us for a drink after the first one, we had to ask them.

They even managed to get the bill wrong charging us for 4 meals instead of 3. After we were done, my Dad was at the toilet and I was reading their inviting flyer for the Easter Sunday options, apparently it was supposed to include coffee. My wife actually did ask for coffee and was charged £2.50 for it, it should have been in the paid price and wasn't even offered.

I rarely write reviews but I hate being ripped of and this is what this place is for food.

Please, please, please if you are a foreign tourist visiting do not be drawn here only to leave thinking this is what Scotland has to offer in terms of food and service, we have much nicer places than this, cross over the bridge and go down to South Queensferry, goto the Hawes Inn or the Oroco Pier - both will leave you feeling better than this terrible place staffed by unpleasant people who don't care.

This place is terrible, I will never be back, I'm also writing to the hotel manager to complain about my experience and at least let him know why his restaurant is empty if he doesn't already know.

I hope this review stops someone else wasting their hard earned money in this dump.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these North Queensferry hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

This is one of those hotels where you have to take a lift up to reception which dopey has always found to be a Bad Sign. The welcome was a bit indifferent after the long trek from South London with no offer of help, but Grumpy and Dopey managed to totter off on the long route march to their rooms. Dopey got into her room but Grumpy could not open his door, so they sat in Dopey’s room and called for help. Eventually after rather a long time someone came and tried to let Grumpy in but couldn’t make it work so they had to wait for another person to come and try. This man finally opened the door, cursing the system, and then Grumpy finally got in to his room. This was well over half an hour after we got to the hotel. After going out to High Tea they went back to the hotel where once again Grumpy could not get into his room and they had a repeat of the afternoon’s events, waiting for someone to come and help.

They both agreed that once they were in their rooms, they were ok and it was all nice and clean.

So in the morning they went and had breakfast, which was not good. The waitress said that the eggs had to be individually prepared and after a long wait she brought four “fried” eggs. Well of course they’d been microwaved and were both rock solid, greasy, and generally horrible. All the food was very greasy, the jams were really nasty, and there was no Marmite.

Grumpy then told Dopey that his shower head had fallen off the wall when he turned the water on. She did manage not to laugh. But of course then once again they had to wait ages and ages for someone to let Grumpy into his room with the usual long delay. So they left as quickly as possible; one last effort from the hotel was that when Grumpy told the receptionist about the shower head she just said that she would let the handyman know, plus she showed no concern at all about whether he was ok or managed to have a shower, let alone apologising. Grumpy was livid and they both drove away saying “never again”!

Reading the other reviews it does seem as if it is two diferent hotels. Grumpy and Dope are sorry to add to the hotel's woes but it really was not good enough and they were crushed with disappointment.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bubblesalmighty
Paul S, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
I suspect Great Dissapointment in your experiences to be more likely the case than Grumpy and Dopey. Sorry your visit coincided with us going through a period of change and personnel and as a result we clearly did not meet your expectations when you were with us recently. Your comments add great weight to our repositioning of our whole service delivery efforts. Perhaps if in the area in future you will pop in and see our improvements for the better enjoyment of all.

Paul
General manager
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have stayed at the Queensferry previously and enjoyed the stay there. The rooms had been recently refurbished at the time and although I typically didn't eat at the hotel on my couple of previous stays I had enjoyed a hearty breakfast. There was a quiet bar where you could sit and relax and the staff were friendly. I recommended this hotel to other colleagues in the past.

OK so that was then.

I recently stayed at the hotel and found a completely different experience leading me to not ever want to return.

So before I go into the brief detail I just wanted to clarify that all the staff who I dealt with were warm and friendly and I did not have any issue. My major concern is how this hotel is letting it's former good status slide.

There are two major areas of concern:

Rooms. The rooms are really not in good shape. I had a few times where the rooms had various lights which would not work. At one point I had to change rooms due to the lack of basic lighting.

Then there are rooms which still smell of smoke as if they have been at one time smokers rooms and are now non smokers. These are pretty horrible.

Musty rooms. I stayed in one room which had a terrible smell in it and woke up the next morning with a sore throat which eased thru the next day and I truly believe this was caused by the mustiness in the room.

Some rooms look very good and clean. Other rooms have carpets which look visibly dirty. Even the carpets in the corridors look stained.

My second issue is with the restaurant. As there is no real options other than to walk down 15 minutes into North Queensferry for something to eat you are fairly much confined to the hotel. The menu typically contains a selection of 5 starters, 5 mains and 5 deserts. It was noted that this sometime doesn't change much from day to day.

I believe the food is not fresh. I have had to make a couple of comments to the staff regarding the taste of the chicken and also one steak which was so chewy it was barely edible. I really think the hotel management need to take a serious look at how the restaurant menu and quality of food is assessed,

It its a shame as this hotel could be something good. It has beautiful views and just reading other posts from the start of 2012 you will see that others are also complaining,

The management of this hotel needs to wake up and get some money invested into making it what it once was.

Very disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank A trip advisor from California
Worcester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Basically we had a pretty unpleasant stay. We arrived after a 5 1/2 hour drive to be met by receptionists (there were 3 people on duty) were more interested in talking to each other than to me. At first the lady I dealt with struggled to find my booking and then gave me my key card with a signature slip that she had to cut out with scissors!

The room was fine, except the bathroom waste bin still contained the previous occupants contact lenses, empty packaging and other rubbish.

Reception booked a taxi for us and off we went to Murrayfield for the rugby. We had spoken to a couple of the England rugby girls and knew the England ladies team were also staying at the hotel.

After the game we decided that rather than eat in Edinburgh, but we would come back to the hotel early & dine in the restaurant.

We were shown to a table which was not set properly and had a side plate missing; I asked for a table with a view of the Forth bridges and was told that there was not a table available, (having stayed here before a few times in the past I knew the view was quite nice), the next 2 guests arrived for dinner and were taken to the very table I asked for, it was a set for them whilst they waited.

We ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio , which was brought to the table, the lid left on, and I had to ask for a chiller jacket or ice bucket. An ice bucket for beer was brought; clearly branded Coors Lite and clearly not really suitable for a restaurant dining table. (But at least it had ice!).

My wife and I both ordered pear and blue cheese salad, which when it appeared looked like a handful of supermarket leaves (complete with the white nasty bitter bit), with a sprinkling of blue cheese and two tiny pieces of pear (could have been tinned), no bigger than Mandarin segments. Certainly not worth the £4.50 or so. We had to ask if there were any bread rolls, which were brought, and then we had to ask for butter.

For mains, my wife ordered the vegetarian pasta which upon arrival was clearly made from dried pasta, overcooked and with large 5p sized pieces of garlic that made your eyes water. We had to ask for cutlery.

I had ordered the duck (there was only a choice of 4 starters and 4 mains), which I had specifically checked with the waitress, would be served pink. When it arrived, the duck was very overdone, the cabbage soggy and the roast potatoes were not crisp and they were hard in the centre. Certainly not worth £15.

I was offered a replacement but after seeing my wife pushing her food around the plate I did not feel confident or inspired. The waiter, to my surprise, offered me something from the lunch menu. So playing it safe, I went for a bacon cheeseburger.

When my cheeseburger eventually turned up, it did not look at all presentable, and again I had to ask for cutlery. The bun, although toasted, was soggy and I suspect defrosted. There was a paltry half a cherry tomato, some raw onion and two pieces of lettuce on the top half of the bun, and a 3 inch in diameter ‘burger’ with cheese on the other. On top of the burger with 2 pieces of what the waiter described as bacon. Rock hard, fatty, and not what I would describe as edible. The chips had clearly been cooked from frozen; Again not what I would expect from a ‘restaurant’.

By this time I have given up and told the waiter that I did not expect to pay for any of the food. When we left the restaurant I explained to the girl on the bar, as I signed my ‘bill’ that I was very unhappy and I would sort it out with reception in the morning. One of the girls apologised and said that she would make sure this was brought to their attention in the morning as she would be on duty for breakfast. This didn’t happen.

In the morning my wife and I came down for breakfast, looking forward to a veritable feast of Scottish fayre, and obviously quite hungry from not eating properly the night before we headed to the restaurant. After waiting 5 min to be shown a table, we were told to help ourselves from the buffet.

After a bowl of cereal and some watery juice, I was ready for the hot buffet but to my dismay and disappointment all that was left was tomatoes, black pudding that looked like it had seen better days and some unappetising mushrooms. I asked the waitress if the buffet was going to be replenished and she appeared not to have been aware that there was hardly anything left. I said I would wait whilst having some toast but there was no white bread and again I had to bring this to a member of staff's attention. The restaurant at this time did not appear to be overly busy.

The next thing I'm aware of is 20 or so England rugby ladies armed with plates and cutlery invading the restaurant. Apparently they had their own breakfast room but not sufficient food. Some had a slice of toast and scrambled eggs that they brought with them from their breakfast room in an attempt to get a full breakfast by raiding the restaurant buffet. Clearly they were unsuccessful as there was nothing to raid. I ended up with some more toast and eventually a sausage, a teaspoonful of scrambled egg and a spoonful of beans; not the veritable feast I had been anticipating. Especially when the breakfast was listed at £12.95.

Disheartened at the entire stay, we checked out, I complained - and the receptionist removed the food charges from my bill. I feel that this was all very unsatisfactory and the poor food and service ruined our weekend.
We were not the only guests to complain.

Their website states

‘North Shore Restaurant is ideal for all types of occasions. Our menus are created with care by our chefs, using the finest local produce and suppliers. Cuisine ranges from traditional dishes and our chefs signature and speciality dishes, and there is a children's menu available too, our restaurant really is a recipe for success.’

Recipe for disaster and mis-representation I think.

I am not entirely sure I would ever wish to stay in a hotel that was anything to do with Brook hotels if this is the standard. I wrote to the CEO and I have not had a reply after waiting 2 weeks.

Room Tip: Don't bother - Go into South Queensferry