“weekend visit”

Portland Lodge Hotel
Reviewed 11 July 2017

room location on ground floor (good as my wife has knee problem)basic facilities, clean and at the price acceptable breakfast was the norm -cereals toast or a selection of cooked plenty of hot coffee as this was a weekend visit for a local gardens open days it was suitable for a one night stop over
fair for the price

Room Tip: no lift in this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidjwguest

Reviewed 4 June 2017

when booking a single room I was advised that all single rooms were on the first floor & there was no lift, due to been disabled I was told that I would need to book a double room on the ground floor at the increased cost.
This double room was the size of a single with a double bed inserted, there was a chair that required to be continually moved to gain access to the bathroom etc.
the micro sink was situated very low & if the taps were turned on too far the floor was flooded
The television was positioned high on the wall making it virtually impossible to watch for any length of time
The room was cold with no heating available, plenty of rust & decoration was far below par

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank armitage805
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

I have no idea what all the other reviewers are complaining about. My family stayed at Portland lodge the bank holiday weekend and found it warm, clean and tidy. Everything was clean , beds were comfy and the hot water tap had hot water coming out of it. The chap at reception was friendly and welcoming. It's a b& b ,, I've stayed in hundreds over the years when working away. Was scared after reading the other reviews but felt loads better when we saw the room.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

This hotel was booked through my work. After an 8 hour drive our team of 3 engineers arrived at the reception desk to find the most rude and vile women I've ever met. She was very unhelpful and was acting as if we were causing her hassle by making her do her job. I had room number 1, a disabled room. Both tea cups were minging, poo stains on the toilet, dead spider legs all over the tiles in the shower, dust everywhere, cobwebs and dead spiders all over the place, a mix of old peanuts and hair behind the head board, room stank of stale wee, the shower head had a massive crack down the side so the water just flew everywhere and my towels had dead wood louse in them.

During the first night I was woken up by a moth under my bed sheets so I decided to sleep in my van. Breakfast was terrible, I asked for just pouched eggs and the women (same one from reception) huffed and puffed as if it was a big deal. Everything looked dirty and minging in the actual dining area, I took my own water to drink. The eggs were somehow greasy, can't understand that because they were pouched and I didn't enjoy it. Second night was just as bad but was woken up by a spider crawling on my leg. I struggled to sleep again and woke feeling exhausted but had a 8 hour drive back to my normal place of work so thanks for that and totop it off there was a note on the breakfast room door saying due to staff shortages breakfast is cancelled. So thanks for that Portland lodge, tired and hungry, winner,

All honstey I'd of rather taken my sleeping bag and had both nights in my van and had a pot noodle.

Terrible terrible terrible.

Good luck

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank clapperton90
Reviewed 23 March 2017

I stayed here one night on a business trip and it was just fine. This is straight forward accommodation. There was a friendly greeting at reception. The room was clean, the bed comfy, the shower hot. A big thumbs up for having mugs on the tea tray so I could have a proper sized brew. Nice veggie breakfast too.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business