“Ridiculous wait for at best average food”
Review of The Merchant

The Merchant
Reserve a table
Mon, 20/09
20:00
Ranked #15 of 25 Quick Bites in Exmouth
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As a table of eight, we ordered our food shortly after arrival to a reserved table. We had to wait a good hour for our food, which arrived looking woefully sorry for itself. A gluten free burger arrived as a burnt beef burger and a meagre side of chips; no garnish or salad. I left hungry. On the bright side, they managed to deal with my daughter's allergies so I give them credit for that.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (455)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food was well cooked and I am sure in better times it will be a popular place. I was a bit surprised that with very few diners in the restaurant we were told would would have to wait 45 minutes if we wanted lunch, which eventually proved the case. Not a problem as we were not in a great hurry and happy to sit and watch the world go by Also, as I was driving I was on soft drinks but was told they did not have any orange juice, my initial thought was it would not have been too much trouble to pop to the shops nearby but that is Covid for you. We could not complain about the food and the restaurant were trying their best in difficult times. It will be interesting to revisit in better times to get a fair and balanced view

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Fantastic service, lovely food great portions. The Specials were really nice. I had the tortellini and my partner had the Smothered Rump which was cooked to perfection. Relaxing atmosphere and a lovely garden. Dog Friendly with free Dog treats. clean toilets. Lots of flowers, someone had an afternoon tea next to us which looked amazing will definitely be having one of those. Lovely Cocktails and Gin selection. I look forward to returning.

Reviewed 12 August 2021

we had a long wait for a very over cooked meal , i'll never go to the merchant ever again ,choose any other pub in Exmouth for better food

Reviewed 9 August 2021 via mobile

Came here for tea, we ordered the set menu (2 starters & 2 mains) via the app. Waited a fair while for the starters to come (place was not busy by any means) Food was hot and delicious (prawns and calamari starter) The waiting staff did try to give our starters to another table even though we checked the app and the correct table number was given when ordering. Our starter was plonked on the table with no cutlery or even an offer of where to get any?
No-one came to clear our table and time was getting on and we hadn't had our main. So my partner went up to the bar to ask do we need to let anyone know we're ready for our main which the bar staff replies " No we'll see when you're ready there's always someone on the floor" Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Felt ignored by floor staff really... When mains came they were tasty and again hot so no complaints there. The toilets need improvement given covid.. No toilet roll in a few toilets not any soap in the dispensers in the ladies. The gents also hadn't been cleaned or checked since 11am that morning according to the chart on the wall. (this was 7pm) .