Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
  • Bar/Lounge
Devon Bay Hotel(Ilfracombe)
  • Bar/Lounge
Palm Court Hotel(Ilfracombe)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate beachchefs cornerbronze caravanholiday parkplatinum caravanon sitefoxy clubentertainment staffoutdoor poolthe cliffsun holidaysea viewkids clubsteep stepsjohn fowler holidayssoft play areasafari tent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Sadly disappointed.

The day we were due to arrive, we received a phone call around 11am to say due to the weather, the park had been closed and we couldn't sign in, we were already over half way there by the time we got the call, so turning back wasn't an option. We had to panic search for somewher else to stay the night and pay out money which we weren't expecting to do. This also meant that we lost a night of our holiday, when we finally managed to get in the next day, the woman on the counter told us that we would be refunded for the night we lost, we also found out that there was other people staying in our caravan the night we were meant to be?? We hadn't been refunded during our stay, so I asked at reception when to expect the refund, only to be told that I had to contact their booking office to arrange my refund?? I'm not sure why it is down to me to do the leg work but emailed them anyway. Still nothing, so as it stands, I paid for strangers to enjoy an extra nights holiday and had to pay for an over night stay, 2 £90 rooms at a nearby inn!

We paid extra to go for a platinum caravan, but were greatly disappointed, thete just so mant little things wrong with it
- Firstly, it was a pokey little van, hardly enough room for 3 adults, both bedrooms were damp
- There's a door in the masyer bedroom which goes in to the shared bathroom, the lock on this door stuck locked
- The outside light wasn't working, which made it difficult to navigate the swamp of a drive way to get in to the caravan
- the built in sound system was poor, you can only use modern apple products with it (not mentioned in the listing) we managed to get the radio working, but only one speaker worked but was blowing, so useless really. We had to Google the manual.
- The curtains smelt bad of mould and damp
- A dial on the cooker kept falling off
- There was chewing gum under the dining table, which I cleaned off myself as i kept getting it stuck to my legs
- The lights were full of dead flies
- Cigarette ends littered around outside.
- The free welcome pack which seems to be a high light on the website was nothing, a tiny map, a rubbish entertainment pamflet and a feedback form.
- parts of the edging on the surfaces was missing, exposing the chip board.

Not the standards you'd expect of a top end package and platinum caravan, so really disappointed, especially when you pay the extra, for the extra, even if we got a cheaper rate as it's out of season, bearing in mind that the same deal snd accommodation is almost £1000 in the summer. All the above was mentioned to the girl on reception the morning of our departure but she seems uninterested and didn't even apologise!

We had a look in to the 'arcade' room and play area, but left quickly as it smelt horrible, was really dusty/dirty, very out dated and nothing worked.

The food was okay, nothing special just frozen food cooked to order but the price and portion size was good, we brought a lot of our own meals but had a meal to take away for our last night.

There was very little entertainment, went along for cash bingo but only us and 3 others turned up so played music bingo and a quiz, which the two Stripeys made them fun, Maria and Zac were brilliant, fantastic entertainers and made us laugh ridiculously.

Cannot fault the veiws.

Didn't see any bins around the park for the caravans, so took our rubbish home with us.

All in all, a disapointing visit and probably won't be looking to return any time soon. I'd suggest spending your money else where.

1  Thank emmalouisevd
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Emma Louise

Thankfully, poor reviews are few and far between as you can clearly see and we have the satisfaction of knowing that this year well over 50,000 families will have enjoyed a John Fowler Holiday at our 11 holiday parks.

Nevertheless, occasionally we let a customer down and it is imperative that we make a full investigation into what went wrong for the benefit of future guests.

I shall be contacting you shortly and I feel sure that the matter will be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As ever we had a brillaint holiday at John Fowler. We have returned to Sandaway beach several times. The caravans are always clean and tidy,the grounds are always kept well and the club entertainment is always fab. Freddy fox is always a winner with my daughter and the stripeys are always full of energy and fun.
We will be returning to John Fowler again and again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Cristie

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how helpful and friendly the staff were.

We take great pride in the standard of all grades of accommodation and our customer care. It’s brilliant that this isn’t going unnoticed. Your comments will be passed on to our manager Denyse and her housekeeping team.

Loyal customers such as yourselves are so important to us and regularly make up 50% of our visitors, so we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed in a platinum caravan it was a okay caravan upon arrival it was extremely boggy and I almost slipped mulitple times luckily there was a person on site who sorted it out , in the master bedroom two orange stains were on the sheets we did report this When we saw it . It has a heated outside pool and a children’s playa area I only popped my head in it seemed okay . The entertainment for kids lasted for a hour and staff were lovely and made kids very welcome it isn’t as big as some dogs recently visited . Worth a visit but maybe book in advance to get a nicer caravan . But of confusion as there are two sites of John Fowler within 500 m of each other

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Hello Friend of Sandaway

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to leave this review, we really appreciate it. Our customers’ thoughts are so important in the future development of the park.

I somehow don't think you were in a platinum caravan, because they are brand new this year and you would have certainly noticed. Yes, the park is a little muddy, partly caused by mother nature and partly by the massive crane that was recently on site putting in the new caravans.

I am sorry if there was confusion over the two parks, This doesn't normally happen, I can only assume that your booking agent was not clear in their travel instructions.

I would like to think that you would come back to see us again - our returning customers are so important to us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have been to a few John fowler parks over the years some good some not so good, I have to say this is by far the best one we have ever visited.

It's a lovely quiet park with stunning views and a superb location.

Staff are really friendly ( especially the guy calling the bingo who I had a good chat with about Nottingham!)
The only thing I would say that could do with a bit of an improvement is the steps down to the beach, it was a little bit hair raising! But in fairness they do mention this when booking.
We will definitely be back

Hello Hopley

Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed on to all departments.

I will pass your thoughts on to Zak, the entertainer who calls the bingo. Our 2018 Stripey team are proving to be an asset to the park and are already attracting good reviews. There is no doubt that they deserve it - they are all doing a brilliant job this year and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.

I am pleased to hear that you will be coming back to see us again - our returning customers are so important to us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here as part of The Sun’s £9.50 caravan deal. So yes the caravan was a bit tired, but at that price it’s to be expected, and who cares!

The location is superb and an easy walk into Combe Martin. Clubhouse was ok but busy and quite expensive for drinks.

I must say a HUGE thank you to the 4 lads (and the man with the 4x4) from the park staff who helped push my car out of the mud at the side of our caravan. They would not be defeated and had a smile on their face throughout, even when we had trouble finding the towing eye. Superb customer service.

Would definitely return for the hospitality and location.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Hello Yeltzer

Thank you for your four stars. It is satisfying to hear that you had a great time on our park.

We are happy that you found the staff to be friendly and we will pass your comments on to them. There is no doubt that the quality of any holiday park is mostly dependent on its personnel and we are very fortunate to have such a marvellous team.

Once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our park very soon.