1,561 results
All reviewsentertainment teambad reviewsgreat holidaydvd playerevening entertainmentdawlish townoutdoor poolfrankieshowsjackmarkcyrilpubs
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

For my first stay in Devon, it has not been pleasant. The caravan that me and my family stayed in was meant to be a silver plus.. But we found quite a few things wrong with the caravan and the service provided by the park itself. First off our caravan, one of the twin bedrooms had a shelf missing from between the beds, the nails had been left in the wall and only bent over slightly so they were still very sharp. As it was all adults staying in the caravan we obviously knew it was dangerous but if this was a child they could of seriously hurt themselves. Next are the windows, they neither open nor shut properly and are sometimes difficult to open. Next thing is that the plates we had in the cupboard where dirty and dusty. Also the fire alarm that was installed in the caravan was very nearly out of battery and this is going against fire safety. The steps leading out of the caravan are what I consider a little bit dangerous. They were quite angled and when wet, very slippery. The last thing I was not very happy about with the caravan was the microwave. I purchased a frozen ready meal and it was to be placed in the microwave for 12 minutes. My meal that should of taken 12 minutes ended up taking nearly 30-35 minutes. Even then it was still only warm and not suitable for eating.
On to the park itself. The first night that we came here we went to the club house for our meal. The first thing I noticed was that they only had one person taking meals at the bar as well as taking drinks orders and two people only taking drinks orders. There was a lot of people queuing to pay for their food and it was getting very busy. The next thing I noticed was that there were very few empty tables and the ones that were empty had dirty dishes and cutlery on them. We sat down at a table for 40 minutes before someone came along and cleared the table away. Next thing was that a family member went up and ordered our meals. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for our meals to arrive but whilst all my other family members received their meals, I did not. I waited for a further 15 minutes until a family member called someone over and asked where it was. This took another 5 minutes for the staff member to go and retrace our order. They came back and said that no order had been placed for the meal I had asked for. Though we distinctively remember ordering all of our meals. We went back and said that because of the loud music coming from the stage that is located right next to the dining area, the staff member taking the orders did not hear properly but also did not read the order back to make sure it was correct. The day that we went to the club house, it had been heavily raining. Whilst we were sat down we started to hear the sound of rushing water. We looked over to where the cutlery stand was which is located right next to the kitchen and saw that water was rushing down the wall and onto the floor. We continued to look at this water for 10 minutes and in that time about 6-7 members of staff looked at the situation and walked straight past it. It would of been a lot better if someone had put buckets down or a wet floor sign to notify people that the floor is slippery as a family member did nearly slip on the water.
Overall my stay at Golden Sands was not a good experience. Although many other people seem to enjoy it we may have just booked at a time where there wasn't as much staff as needed to complete all jobs as it seemed to me that this resort is unstaffed.

3  Thank missbunny12
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Golden Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2016

Sorry to read of your disappointment, and that your experience did not meet your expectations. I can only apologise that the staff did not provide their usual friendly and attentive customer service on this occasion. Your feedback will be taken on board and acted upon where possible but I am sorry that on the whole the park is not for you.

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

I've just got back from a 10 day stay at golden and once again it was amazing!! I've been coming down for 10 years and still love everything about it. The entertainers this year were again excellent, very talented and they always put 100% effort in to making sure everyone has a good holiday,they're amazing with the children and are always up for a laugh. This year the swimming pool has been updated and there is now free lockers for anyone to use,it looks so much better and the lifeguards were always very helpful and friendly. We were in a gold chalet, it was clean and had all the basic needs in it,there is now more than 1 mirror in the whole chalet which is an improvement. Gareth and Steve were very helpful and friendly,they were always there to fix any problems in the arcade. I feel that the receptionist could have been more welcoming and friendly, It's a shame the shop closes so early as in the past years it has been open till 8. Overall it has been another amazing holiday, I would like to thank Rusty,Frankie,Heather,Jed,Amy and Jack for keeping myself and my family entertained and I hope to see you all next year!xx

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Scullyfamily

Thank you for your feedback, its great to read you had such a great time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on the park next year.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

Loved the holiday.
The room we had was disgusting don't get me wrong.
Things were broken and when reported nothing was fixed, and ants everywhere.
The lifeguard Charlotte was incredible, and now a friend.
The staff were friendly.
Very big park.
Entertainment was incredible!!
Food was good. Not to expensive.
We loved the bingo.
And the kids club was great.
Sort the accommodation out and we'd be back in a shot!

Room Tip: Check room before paying!!
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank zoeandstu2

Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear that the accommodation did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We hope you will visit again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Absolutely terrible. First time we've booked with them. From start it was really bad. The key for the apartment wasn't ready(3.00pm), because they didn't finished cleaning it?? The receptionist didn't have a clue what time of booking we had. The bedding wasn't ready, we didn't get tickets for the shoes and worse of all, the mattresses were covered in wee marks???, Also one of them has been forced into fitting the room. We ask them to change them and they said they couldn't go to buy new ones. A total disaster. We ask to speak to a manager and there was no signs of one around. I hope Trip advisor won't carry on recommending this resort.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

This holiday park was a huge disappointment from beginning to end. Poorly managed, poorly organised and I need of a great amount of TLC and improvement to bring it up to an acceptable standard.
We stayed in one of the lodges, supposedly gold plus accommodation. I dread to think what the bronze is like if this is supposed to be the "gold".
The lodges are well situated for the beach, which is one point in their favour. You can easily walk from here without having to go back through the park. There's a nice beach and amenities which are far far nicer than what's on offer on the park itself.
The lodge we were allocated was scruffy. Peeling wood. Dirty. Stained & damaged carpet. Heating did not work properly. Fire in lounge did not work at all. No remote supplied for DVD player. Fridge not cold enough even when turned up full and plastic casing cracked. Cutlery & utensils put away dirty. Shower in ensuite bathroom ran at two temperatures, freezing cold and scolding hot. About three light bulbs worked throughout the whole place. Kitchen blind broken. Washing machine needs attention, very noisy on spin. Oven does not work properly. No light in extractor fan. Main bathroom smelt of urine. PAT tests very overdue on most items. One rock hard cheap as chips pillow supplied per person. Basically unloved and uncared for and certainly not clean enough. Windows in the front need blinds or even net for privacy. A huge letdown.
We ventured to try the clubhouse on one evening. Stayed for fifteen minutes and left, the only term I can think of is "dive" and to avoid at all costs. We are a couple with young children and felt extremely uncomfortable. We felt intimidated by other drunk clientele and as had our young children with us didn't feel the general language appropriate. They need security which they don't have.
My only positive comments are that the lodge was well situated and of a good size but in major need of attention and a good clean. They are obviously privately owned and the owners should invest more money in their upkeep. The park itself I thought was very poor and I would not recommend it to anyone from our experience.
Another note I will add is they need to add proper pathways throughout the park so you don't have to dice with death to try and get to the wonderful entertainment venue (don't bother).

7  Thank cathy701314

I am sorry to read of your disappointment and sorry that the park and facilities did not meet your expectations on this occasion.