The Fountain Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$ 164
Travelodge Okehampton Whiddon Down(Okehampton)(Great Value!)
US$ 75
Mill End Hotel(Chagford)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssteakoverlooking the riverbig bathroompub foodexcellent valuebunk bedsgood sizeopen firebreakfast roomwarm welcomefamily roomledgedevonmirrorensuite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I have just come back from a five day stay at the Fountain Hotel; I was dealing with a flood that had occured in my father's house as a result of the recent cold snap. The Fountain was a wonderful place to come back to; warm and welcoming. The staff couldn't have been more helpful; one very kind staff member even lent me her reading glasses when I lost mine. The food was excellent - I particularly enjoyed the pheasant pie with juniper berries. The breakfasts were just what you wanted on a cold morning - only problem is I have put on a pound or two. My room was comfortable - a good size for a single; the macerator toilet complained of in another review was working fine though it did make the odd gurgle. In all excellent value and I will certainly return if I need to come back to that part of Devon.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2010

The bar staff when we arrived were exceptionally nice and helpful and the morning staff were very nice too. However, the room was really pretty awful due largely to the macerator toilet which was giving out a smell of sewage and also kept working all night. There was clearly a serious problem as when you emptied the bason brown bits bubbled up from the shower tray. We did not move rooms as we were undressed by the time we became aware of this and guessed this would be a problem elsewhere but also because we didnt intend having a shower. The staff took £10 off the room but quite honestly if I was the owner I think I would have refunded the cost of the room and just charged for the breakfast and supper. Such a shame to criticise the hotel as the staff were really exceptional

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2009

This was the first time I have stayed at the Fountain Hotel and we will definitely be going back. The food was fantasic and I understand that they have recently appointed a very high cailbre new head chef. The rooms are very cosy and the lounge bar has a wonderfull open fire. I would definitely recommend the Fountain if you are plaaning to stay in Devon.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkie021
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Make sure you ask for your fried eggs runny if you want them, otherwise they'll be solid at breakfast and for the mixed grill, where everything else was overdone too, horrid. Careful about the Sunday roast as well, veg seemed to have been done days in advance. Had a lamb shank for dinner and it was rubbery. I'd eat somewhere else, though the pub and service there is warm.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Stayed three nights at the Fountain. Beds were child sized 2' 6" wide so sleep proved difficult. Room had radiators but was unheated. Wash basin was cracked. Bathroom window was plain glass so had to close curtains to use. No extracter fan. No internet, No phone in room, No robes. No handrail on steep stairs. Single glazed sash windows ensured you shared street noises and outside temperatures. You could clearly hear everything from adjacent rooms, from bathroom noises to conversations. If you're used to staying at a back packers this might appeal to you but it is a long way from a hotel experience.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business