All reviews church bells wild rose the pub deluxe suite family room christmas decorations good size an evening meal beautiful church friendly village ensuite bathroom received a warm welcome great beer great hosts lovely place fantastic room be visiting again
Reviewed 9 October 2018

The Globe Inn was surprisingly upscale for such a small town in a remote area accessible only by single lane roads. The rooms are over a classy pub/restaurant. Our room was cozy, and a little larger than what we have been used to in England. Our dinner was great, and others must have thought so too, because the hostess had to turn away people without reservations on a Sunday night. The breakfast was equally good. The little town of Chagford was interesting to walk around. Driving in the area is not for the faint-hearted, with some single lane roads where you hope no one is coming the other way.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Popped in here for a couple of drinks whilst staying in Chagford, went in the bar, roaring fire, welcoming locals and a great atmosphere, will definitely be back. Especially as they’ve got sams cider on draft.

Reviewed 26 September 2018

We stayed at The Globe for two nights on one of our road trips around Devon and Cornwall. Chagford itself is a chocolate box type place, with three key pubs, The Globe being one of them. Our room was spacious, which is always a plus. The decor could do with a bit of updating, but was perfectly fine. Breakfast with generous and well cooked. The only thing that stopped me giving The Globe more stars was that the windows were painted shut, so the room got a bit stuffy in the night. Obviously if you're looking to stay outside of summer than that won't be a problem. We also had a bit of an issue with noise as we could hear music from another room, or from staff quarters. That said, we would stay there again.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2018

A very nice pub with delicious food. The steak and ale pie melted in the mouth. We didn’t stay the night so can only review the meal. Slight criticism was that the lamb cutlets were a bit overdone. Staff were friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

This reviewer has to admit he has an emotional attachment to the Globe. Way back in the nineties I walked into the Globe after a day walking on Dartmoor when it had been raining like it can only rain on Dartmoor. A deep, pervading rain that soaks bits of you that you didn’t know could get wet. While I stood in the hallway with a puddle gathering around me I first met June Dando, the then owner, with her husband Bryn. I came back, with my mother in tow, when we scattered my father’s ashes. When Mum died, it was back to the globe again for a similar ceremony.

It is now 2018 and I travelled to the UK once again on the sad occasion of scattering my wife’s ashes. Where else could I go but the Globe? However, what was the 2018 experience going to be?

I need not have worried, the Globe, is unchangeable except to the extent that it keeps getting better. Mary and Graham and the whole staff did that thing that the Globe does, it just wraps you in a lovely warm, welcoming blanket.

Up the torturous stairs with a heavy suitcase, the stair treads groaning in the process, I entered Wild Rose, a huge and beautifully appointed room. Everything was the same (but better) than my previous visits, right down to the gurgling plumbing that gargled away to itself whenever I or my neighbours performed the necessary ablutions. As an early riser I think my fellow guests suffered more than I did.

Great internet connection and an up-to-the-minute smart TV. Being that pariah of modern society a SMOKER I could enjoy the lovely little garden at the back of the pub, lovingly tendered to by Brian, AKA Whiskers. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for anybody in this place. Even the regulars will lend a hand and scuttle off into the depths of the hotel to find a member of staff to help a hapless arriving guest.

This place is just an honest, welcoming country pub with a great team and anybody who wants to experience what “The heart of England” really means must make a beeline for the Globe. Don’t expect five star luxury. If, however, you can just relax and enjoy a bunch of people who do their absolute best to make you feel “at home” this is the place for you.

Thank you Globe, this is not the last time I shall enjoy your wonderful hospitality.

Room tip: Try to stay in Wild Rose, a fantastic room
  • Trip type: Travelled solo