“Fabulous”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chagford
England
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Unfortunately we only had one night here but it was amazing. We arrived by motorcycle in pouring rain and to say we were soggy is an understatement. The staff were charming, showed us to our room (we'd been upgraded to one with garden view and balcony) and came back for our soaking wet jackets, trousers, boots and gloves - to take them to the boiler room to dry off. There was only a short break in the rain for us to explore the grounds - the gardens are immaculate and the setting is gorgeous. Our room was lovely and the bathroom very well set out. The bed was exceedingly comfortable.

Dinner was amazing (see separate restaurant review), the service was very good without being intrusive and the staff knowledgeable. As mentioned in other reviews the attention to detail is impressive - my allergy to fungi (including truffles) being fully catered for. Breakfast next morning was also really good. My husband thought the Full English one of the best he'd had, my smoked salmon and scrambled egg was just right, the croissants were to die for.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the final bill but it was definitely worth it. I don't often give 5 stars but I'd just say - if you can afford it then stay in this fabulous place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Brackley
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I'd read the reviews of Gidleigh and was impressed but my main reason for booking was what I knew about Michael Cains and his restaurant. I booked the gourmet break and was stunned by the overall impact of the hotel. The accommodation is comfortable (not stuffy) and feels like home and our room was fabulous. The staff are friendly, efficient and fun. The food is spectacular.

What makes it different? I'm allergic to mussels, which was noted. Every time a menu was presented to me it had been adjusted to accommodate my allergy. Where an adjustment was unavailable I was told without having to ask. There are very few places that will go to that effort, and I've been to a lot that haven't. On top of that I had organised the weekend as a birthday gift for my partner and with our coffees at the end of dinner a discrete birthday wish iced on chocolate arrived with the petit fours. Very well done!

I can't imagine coming to this part of the world again and staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: I wouldn't worry about which room you are in - we were in one of the cheaper ones and it was gre...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
St. Albans, UK
Reviewed 6 June 2012

An outstanding hotel set in a beautfiul and tranquil part of England. The garden room was very comfortable and luxurious. The service in the hotel and restaurant is quite exceptional. A great deal of attention to detail and nothing is too much trouble. The food was lovely and very well presented. The wine list is fantastic and so was the selection of cheese.
Gidleigh Park exceeded it's reputation on every level. The grounds are wonderful especially the water garden.
Hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fiona G
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Overnight treat was absolutely delightful. The quality of the food matched the fantastic service and surroundings. The walk through the Blue Bell wood after breakfast finished the trip off perfectly. We are already making plans to return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
East Horsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Gidleigh Park is located in a beautiful tucked away corner of Devon, with a river tumbling through the grounds, coming down from nearby Dartmoor
The hotel is well known for it's food, but nothing could have prepared us for the quality of food and service, especially the taste of food and it's presentation. Absolutely stunning.

• Stayed May 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chagford
6.5 km away
24.3 km away
Tavistock House Hotel
Tavistock House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Tavistock

Been to Gidleigh Park? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK