“Birthday Dinner ”

Beamers Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 117 Restaurants in Brixham
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 23
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked for my birthday by my wife based on trip advisor reviews as we are visiting the area and had no knowledge of the local restaurants.
So glad we did as the whole meal was excellent along with a very friendly waitress who looked after us for the evening.
We had the sharing platter for a starter which consisted of mussels, prawns and scallops, really nice and a great way to start the meal.
For the main, we chose from the fish specials menu which was all freshly caught that morning and an absolute delight.
Really enjoyed the whole experience and would heartily recommend.

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

Fantastic night. For starters I had scallops with bacon and cheese which was gorgeous, my family had Elberry mussels which were wonderful.
Main courses were sirloin steak and brill and monkfish and duck. All food was cooked to perfection.

Had window seat which made it plus the fact that they had laid the table with pink serviettes and pink and white balloons!!!!!

Definitely will go again.

Reviewed 9 November 2018

Beamers is well located being on the first floor overlooking Brixham Harbour and although fish is its specialty (no surprise being in Brixham) it offers a respectable choice of meat dishes too. This was our first visit as we are new arrivals in Torbay. It is not cheap and that’s fine for top quality dishes but we felt the food failed to hit the high spot.

I had scallops in cream with bacon (£9.95), my wife crevettes in garlic butter (£8.95). We had no issue with the starters – the scallops were soft and delicious in a creamy sauce. I had skate (£20) for a main course while my wife had Dover Sole (£25). The skate was fine – nothing special but perfectly fine. My wife’s Dover Sole was less impressive. We suspect it had been frozen as it arrived on the plate curled up – as if it had been folded in half when fresh and popped in the freezer and cooked just as it came out of the freezer. The dauphinoise potatoes were slightly dry and not as creamy as they should be. Various whole fish on the menu had been substituted with fillets. We may be wrong but we suspect the fillets were taken from whole fish that had not sold and were then frozen. The hand cut chips were excellent and the home-made bread divine.

The bill topped £90 for the two of us with a bottle of house wine and no pud or coffee. It felt expensive for what we had.

The evening we visited there were just four tables occupied – the kitchen was not exactly over-pressed. We think Beamers thinks it is better than it is. Perfectly respectable meals but was it worth more than £90? I don’t think so. Beamers either needs to up its game or reduce its prices.

Reviewed 9 November 2018 via mobile

Whenever in Brixham and it’s a special occasion my wife and I tend to book Beamers as it’s by far the best fish restaurant. This was my 50th and therefore Beamers was the obvious choice. When we arrived the table was prepared with balloons and we had a window booth. My favourite dishes are crab, John Dory and gurnard, so imagine my delight when they were all on the specials. Starter was tempura soft cell crab and main was John Dory & gurnard with a soy, ginger & chilli sauce. My wife and I had the same and we both agreed they were absolutely fantastic. We can’t wait for our next visit.

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

My husband and I came here for an evening out. I love seafood and I wasn’t disappointed!. I had salmon for starters which had a centre of cream cheese and prawns, with caramelised red onions on top and salad, it was stunning!. My husband had pate and enjoyed it, he thought an extra toast would of been good but thought it was lovely. Main course I had muscles, scollops and giant prawns in garlic sauce which was so nice I could eat it daily. My husband had steak and garlic mushrooms, he said the steak was cooked to perfection!, he asked for medium/ well done. We also tried onion rings, cheesy garlic bread and fried anchovy’s, all very nice. Well worth a visit.

Date of visit: October 2018