2,099 results
All reviews terrace lounge sea facing room sand dunes stunning location family suite main restaurant indoor pool lovely hotel short break brend hotels north devon scones cream tea table tennis relaxing break brend group great facilities
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We stayed over the August bank holiday weekend.

The location is fantastic and provides extremely easy access to Saunton Sands beach via a path. We went surfing and then walked straight back to our room for a hot bath afterwards - luxury!

The surf shop two minutes' walk away is very friendly and good value with plenty of boards and wetsuits. Above is a good cafe, also run by Brend Hotels.

We opted for the inclusive hotel meal and the food was excellent but the service was poor. The staff did not have very good command of English and there was much confusion at dinner as we were served by about eight different people.

We then arrived for breakfast at 9.45 (it closes at 10.00) and our table had already been set for dinner, with our waiter 'Tomas' (sp?) already in a bad mood!

The facilities at the hotel are excellent with an indoor and outdoor pool, friendly bar and terrace cafe and restaurant. Guests are also allowed to use them for the whole day, so even after we had checked out and been for a surf, we came back to use the showers.

A word of warning: our inward-facing room had a pronounced 'herbal' smell despite it being a non-smoking hotel!

A very enjoyable visit but the hotel does not really meet expectations in its price range. (I attempted to give feedback to Brend Hotels for their comment but could not find any links on their website.)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank LondonTomsk
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I took my wife and 2 children (3 and 1) to Saunton Sands Hotel over the Aug 08 bank holiday weekend. We were planning a weekend of luxury so booked the Clovelly Apartment (£388 a night). Our first impressions we terrible to the point we nearly turned back home. Very dated communal areas to get to the apartment, lots of stairs and no lift, dirty cutlery and child seat, noisy TV, noise from kitchen below can be heard from room, broken bedroom furniture, all in the first 10 minutes. On the positive the apartment does have a lot of space, a brand new kitchen and leather sofas and a view of the dunes. We decided to try out the rest of the hotel and see how we felt after that. There is no mistaking the location is superb and the rest of the hotel is of a high standard. We liked the indoor pool as it was very warm for the kids, the creche facility and the terrace lounge server excellent food and were child friendly. We were put off by the type of person that seemed to stay there though. A lot of 'hoorah henrys', stuck up snobby types who you can't have a real conversation with. On reflection we made the most of our time and will look back with fond memories because the children had so much fun. It was a vastly over-priced experience however with a bill of £900 for the 2 nights once you added on food and drinks. We won't be returning in a hurry!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
9  Thank KingOfMoss
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I stayed at Saunton Sands with my husband and 2 daughters aged 3 and 11 in August for a mini Summer break.
Firstly, the price: A tip, if you book through Superbreak, the adult rate is the same as if you book direct with the hotel but KIDS STAY FREE! Can save you a fortune.
We were overall so happy with this hotel. Location is breathtaking. A steep climb from beach back to hotel but worth it. Lovely sandy beach (full of surfers), rockpools to explore and a great shop and cafe.
Rooms are best on 2nd floor, they have been refurbished in the last few years. Not fantastic, a little shabby and chintzy for my taste but it served a purpose. Family room had a single bed and tiny put-u-up bed, fine for my toddler but not for over 5's I would say.
Food for us was gorgeous. Breakfasts freshly cooked, regularly replenished fry up buffet, together with fresh pastries, cereals, fruit and yoghurts. Evening meals were divine. Some of the best desserts Ive ever tasted.
Staff were absolutely charming, helpful, attentive and most importantly for us, had personalities. From maids to restaurant and reception staff nothing was too much trouble.
My only complaint, and this did affect our holiday a fair bit was the evening arrangements for young children. This is the current set up: 5pm-6pm - children's buffet supper (plenty of choice and yummy for the kids). 6pm to 7pm- Children's entertainment (painful for us but kids loved it) 7pm onwards - parents can dine in restaurant while kids can sit with you. I think I speak for most parents when I say that my kids just did not want to come back into the dining room again with us and watch us eat while they are expected to behave like little angels. Hence, they got irritable and our meal was stressful for us. I also felt sorry for fellow, childless diners. There are lots of simple things that the hotel can do to rectify this, and I hope they do as we will then have a pretty much perfect family hotel

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank beachloverHerts
Reviewed 10 August 2008

stayed at the saunton sands in July 2008 for three nights across
a weekend in a family suite, at a cost of 390 pounds per night (!)
including dinner.

some of the hotel has been refurbished, and the corridors are the best I have ever seen. The rooms were not quite so good, a little worn. The rooms were clean enough, but could have done with a spring clean. The family suite consists of two rooms and a small bathroom. The sea views are stunning - yes really. Nice flat screen TV. Baby listening in room, ( although our phi lips baby listener also worked in the restaurant ). There is a tea and coffee tray in the room. The selection is nice, and includes biscuits. However, it comes with a warning that you only get one 'kit' during your stay. That seems a bit mean. Despite this warning, our tea tray was topped up every day.

The staff were efficient, and anything we requested was immediately supplied.

The hotel suffers, as many do, from wedding fever at the weekend. The extra guests strain the resources of the hotel. The service in the restaurant was very slow because of this. The food was reasonable and the restaurant staff were friendly.

The hotel has an outdoor and indoor swimming pool. Both are
very good. On the other hand, the changing rooms and toilets are
unclean and very grotty. They really let the hotel down.

The hotel has two apartment complexes on site. One is situated behind the hotel in the car park with views of the sand dunes or the back of the hotel, the other is set to one side of the hotel with stunning sea views. The apartments in the hotel have been refurbished and are very good. The sea view apartments a well worn inside and must sell on the view alone.

The hotel is situated on cliffs overlooking the beach. Its a short
walk down to the busy... and windy ... beach.

In a nutshell, stay in a sea view room, only eat in the restaurant
mid week, and don't use the changing rooms :)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Treehousepig
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I stayed here for a wedding. The wedding itself was very nice, wedding staff were good, food was good etc. But I found the hotel staff and the room a joke!.

My room was dirty, dated and inadequate. This isn't a budget hotel, so I didn't expect to receive such poor quality. Neither my kettle or television worked, I reported it 3 times! and still no one bothered to replace or fix it. My duvet had blood on it and stank!

To ad insult to injury I complained in letter after my visit and just got ignored. To top it off I receive stupid promotional emails that I have unsubscribed to hundreds of times. I've also emailed the hotel directly to have my email address removed and yet they persist on sending me their promotions.

Don't bother staying here!

• Stayed: May 2007