All reviews bantham beach the pub fish pie bracing walk service was friendly and efficient family meal sunday lunch friendly staff and locals dog friendly pub lovely lunch crab great beer burgh island coastal path pudding south hams fantastic location
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Friends took us to the beach for a walk and then suggested a drink. The Sloop inn looks small but has a large restaurant area. The bar area was warm and cosy after a bracing walk. The staff were friendly and it was a shame we had lunch plans as the food looked very nice.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

We came in a party of 11 on a stormy Saturday. Staff were very friendly and accomdating. Food was very good, mixture of seafood and pub classics. Fish pie looked cracking. Fairly expensive but worth the money.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Booked for lunch ,glad we did . The pub was really busy but we were served quickly with drinks and shown to our table in the bar area not the restaurant part.
We had the soup brocolli and Stilton which was delicious. Then fish and chips , huge portion cud have done with half.very good batter crispy and tasty fish.Really well cooked.It was lovely to be back as we hadn't been in a few years.we will definitely be back soon.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2017

This pub is in the middle of nowhere and when my friend took me to it I though she had taken me down the wrong road as it seemed never ending!

The pub has recently been done up and the restaurant area now looks like the inside of a ship. It has been done very tastefully.

The pub was busier than they expected and the staff were run off their feet but they still managed to make us feel welcome and take our orders quickly. The food was superb and came through on very hot dishes, keeping the food hot to the very last mouthful. It would be nice to see more vegetarian meals on their menu as there was very little choice for those of us that are vegetarian.

We managed a sweet as well as a main course and that too was very good. I would highly recommend a visit if you are in the area!

Room tip: I didn't stay here so can't comment on the rooms but the food is superb.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank sarahZ5705MQ
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I grew up in the area and also spent a summer many years ago waitressing in this pub in Bantham. Now on visits home to see the family this is our first choice for a family meal. It's definitely worth the drive as it's one of the few pubs in the area that maintains its traditional and cosy atmosphere. Although there are clearly a group of locals that visit the pub everyday, there is a warm and welcoming atmosphere as you enter. As a group of adults we always choose to sit in the bar amongst the hustle and bustle, but there is also a family friendly restaurant. On this visit home, we actually went for two meals at the pub because the first was so good! I had the fish pie the first time I visited, and it was as delicious as all the other reviews described. The second time was today, a Sunday lunchtime and I braved the vegetarian roast. In my experience these are usually a dry nut roast that has been sat in a freezer for a while. However, the Sloop's version of a vegetarian roast was a wonderful surprise - grilled halloumi with mushrooms and tomatoes, homemade gravy. Definitely the best vegetarian roast I have ever had. The rest of my meat eating party were all equally satisfied with their meals too! The chef at this establishment is clearly worth keeping, I hope he has no designs to move on because I am already looking forward to another portion of that fish pie!

Fast, friendly service. Clean and cosy environment. Great food. What more could anyone ask for in a cute country pub?

Trip type: Travelled with family