All reviewsbantham beachfish piethe pubsticky toffee pudbracing walkfamily mealservice was friendly and efficientsunday lunchlovely lunchcrabspecials boardwonderful pubfriendly staff and localsburgh islandcoastal pathsouth hamsfeel very welcome
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I grew up in the area and also spent a summer many years ago waitressing in this pub in Bantham. Now on visits home to see the family this is our first choice for a family meal. It's definitely worth the drive as it's one of the few pubs in the area that maintains its traditional and cosy atmosphere. Although there are clearly a group of locals that visit the pub everyday, there is a warm and welcoming atmosphere as you enter. As a group of adults we always choose to sit in the bar amongst the hustle and bustle, but there is also a family friendly restaurant. On this visit home, we actually went for two meals at the pub because the first was so good! I had the fish pie the first time I visited, and it was as delicious as all the other reviews described. The second time was today, a Sunday lunchtime and I braved the vegetarian roast. In my experience these are usually a dry nut roast that has been sat in a freezer for a while. However, the Sloop's version of a vegetarian roast was a wonderful surprise - grilled halloumi with mushrooms and tomatoes, homemade gravy. Definitely the best vegetarian roast I have ever had. The rest of my meat eating party were all equally satisfied with their meals too! The chef at this establishment is clearly worth keeping, I hope he has no designs to move on because I am already looking forward to another portion of that fish pie!

Fast, friendly service. Clean and cosy environment. Great food. What more could anyone ask for in a cute country pub?

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Visited here during our stay in Kingston. We had taken dogs over the beach for a good play and decided lunch was needed. I had the delicious soup of the day and my husband a substantial sandwich. The Inn is beautiful inside, with different areas so tables not crammed together, which I hate. Staff were very friendly and our food arrived promptly. The dogs were welcome too. There is a car park behind the Inn if you're not going to the beach but if you're in the area I think a walk down is well worth it, if just for the view of the hotel on Burgh Island. The prices here are acceptable and no higher than most places. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Was a lovely meal and the venue was lovely and kept very well.
My only gripe and it is only slight, I felt the pricing wasn’t particularly favourable I terms of a future visit, I don’t think so.
Lots of different gins available, but £7-£8 for a G&T albeit with fever tree tonic was very nice but so so easy to loose track of costs. 4 adults couple of courses each with a few drinks each totalled nearly £240.
Keep an eye on how many drinks you have!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Visited for an early evening family meal. Very pretty coastal location, pub menu was predictable and dished-up ok, but not exceptional food - it was all ' good enough' to be eaten without complaint, but 2 adult meals, 2 kids meals, a couple of glasses of juice and wine came to over £100, and we didn't really feel it was brilliant value. Still, staff were attentive and they accommodated us at late notice, so worthy of a 3-4 star all the same.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Having read other reviews we thought we'd try the Sloop. The 3 mile walk along the coastal path was fabulous and when we arrived the place was busy, but we were found a table.

The Sunday roast was okay for the money but the scampi and chips in a basket was 4 small pieces of fish and a mass of chips.

I left half of them as there was just too many and quite bland.

The choice of ales is also poor which is a shame.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple