All reviews bantham beach fish pie the pub bracing walk family meal service was friendly and efficient sunday lunch lovely lunch crab wonderful pub friendly staff and locals coastal path burgh island south hams feel very welcome dogs roast
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Was a lovely meal and the venue was lovely and kept very well.
My only gripe and it is only slight, I felt the pricing wasn’t particularly favourable I terms of a future visit, I don’t think so.
Lots of different gins available, but £7-£8 for a G&T albeit with fever tree tonic was very nice but so so easy to loose track of costs. 4 adults couple of courses each with a few drinks each totalled nearly £240.
Keep an eye on how many drinks you have!

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Visited for an early evening family meal. Very pretty coastal location, pub menu was predictable and dished-up ok, but not exceptional food - it was all ' good enough' to be eaten without complaint, but 2 adult meals, 2 kids meals, a couple of glasses of juice and wine came to over £100, and we didn't really feel it was brilliant value. Still, staff were attentive and they accommodated us at late notice, so worthy of a 3-4 star all the same.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Having read other reviews we thought we'd try the Sloop. The 3 mile walk along the coastal path was fabulous and when we arrived the place was busy, but we were found a table.

The Sunday roast was okay for the money but the scampi and chips in a basket was 4 small pieces of fish and a mass of chips.

I left half of them as there was just too many and quite bland.

The choice of ales is also poor which is a shame.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

I have been coming to bantham for 28 years and seen the sloop go through it's several owners. It has been refurbished to a beautiful standard and has an excellent drinks menu, I am a gin fan and it has a good selection! yet unfortunately the food let it down and the service of the clearly part time student staff.
Our host was a lovely woman and pleasant ,she was responsible for taking our orders. I ordered the mussels 8.95 and the rack of lamb 17.95 followed by the pavalova £6.50. The mussels were in a cream and garlic and white wine sauce. The sauce was very bland and needed vastly improving. I had to ask for a finger bowl. Then our mains originally got taken yo the wrong table by a young waitress. We called her over and for my 17 pounds I had a 2 rack piece of medium well lamb (not lovely and pink as it should be) the lamb lacked flavour, the dish hadnt been seasoned and it was served with a few chargrilled Vegetables. The glaze sauce however was lovely but not nearly enough. The pea puree was not necessary as again bland and the other vegetables over powered it. The pavalova was nice but how can you mess up meringue cream and raspberry coulis. For such a cheap ingredient dish 6.50 is rather pricey. We had to ask cutlery for our mains and dessert. No check backs were made during our meal otherwise I would have said something at the time. I feel once we had our order taken we were left to the inexperienced staff. The specials menu aren't really that special so the chef should be a bit more inventive as the main menu is very simple.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I cannot praise this place enough we stayed for one night with our two dogs and it was faultless, we just wished we could stay longer. The last time I stayed was as a child nearly 40 years ago and I am so glad I went back. The evening meal was absolutely beautiful, staff very attentive and friendly and not once did they Moan about stepping over two large dogs. Lovely room and a delicious breakfast. Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

1  Thank Bradley W