All reviews bantham beach the pub fish pie bracing walk service was friendly and efficient family meal sunday lunch friendly staff and locals dog friendly pub lovely lunch crab great beer burgh island coastal path pudding south hams fantastic location
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Having read other reviews we thought we'd try the Sloop. The 3 mile walk along the coastal path was fabulous and when we arrived the place was busy, but we were found a table.

The Sunday roast was okay for the money but the scampi and chips in a basket was 4 small pieces of fish and a mass of chips.

I left half of them as there was just too many and quite bland.

The choice of ales is also poor which is a shame.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

I have been coming to bantham for 28 years and seen the sloop go through it's several owners. It has been refurbished to a beautiful standard and has an excellent drinks menu, I am a gin fan and it has a good selection! yet unfortunately the food let it down and the service of the clearly part time student staff.
Our host was a lovely woman and pleasant ,she was responsible for taking our orders. I ordered the mussels 8.95 and the rack of lamb 17.95 followed by the pavalova £6.50. The mussels were in a cream and garlic and white wine sauce. The sauce was very bland and needed vastly improving. I had to ask for a finger bowl. Then our mains originally got taken yo the wrong table by a young waitress. We called her over and for my 17 pounds I had a 2 rack piece of medium well lamb (not lovely and pink as it should be) the lamb lacked flavour, the dish hadnt been seasoned and it was served with a few chargrilled Vegetables. The glaze sauce however was lovely but not nearly enough. The pea puree was not necessary as again bland and the other vegetables over powered it. The pavalova was nice but how can you mess up meringue cream and raspberry coulis. For such a cheap ingredient dish 6.50 is rather pricey. We had to ask cutlery for our mains and dessert. No check backs were made during our meal otherwise I would have said something at the time. I feel once we had our order taken we were left to the inexperienced staff. The specials menu aren't really that special so the chef should be a bit more inventive as the main menu is very simple.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I cannot praise this place enough we stayed for one night with our two dogs and it was faultless, we just wished we could stay longer. The last time I stayed was as a child nearly 40 years ago and I am so glad I went back. The evening meal was absolutely beautiful, staff very attentive and friendly and not once did they Moan about stepping over two large dogs. Lovely room and a delicious breakfast. Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bradley W
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Being born and bred in Devon, We're not strangers to beautiful old pubs in stunning settings. This is without doubt, a lovely old pub in a lovely part of our county.
We arrived just in time to order some lunch and wanted something light to eat. We decided on the basket meals and both ordered the plaice and chips. Although the food was acceptable, we both agreed that the meals were at best, average. I compared my meal to the type of supermarket frozen oven meals you can have at home in 20 minutes. We don't have a problem with eating those types of meals from time to time but, we don't think the £8.00 per meal was justified. We concluded that the lack of competition in the area and it's tourist trap location might be the reasons.
The staff were friendly and efficient.
Don't be put off by a couple of discerning locals who can't afford to pay holiday makers prices every time they venture out to eat.
The Sloop is a great place to visit for many reasons. It will manage perfectly well without our future custom.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Arriving in the village in the evening with not a supermarket in sight we were delighted to see any food-serving establishment; but what a treat was in store for us at The Sloop.
The staff were super friendly, the decor a mix of traditional country pub and scandi-seaside chic and well-behaved pups were made to feel very welcome.

The menu was varied and everything we tried was delicious. We particularly recommend the fries and the mussels - amazing!

We were stunned (and thrilled) to find this haven in the middle of this beautiful countryside. Most definitely worth a visit.

(We'll be going back again tomorrow).

Trip type: Travelled with family