Travelocity
eDreams
travelup.com
Destinia.com
1,327 results
All reviews curry room crown club afternoon tea brasserie restaurant nothing is too much trouble breakfast was delicious lovely hotel peter port full english guernsey island harbour luxury sark teas hill
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

Back at the OGH again after a break of 4 years, having first stayed 30 years ago with a babe in arms..who has also since returned!
Returned many times since...it is just a fabulous place to stay..staff are sensational-led by Andrew C as General Manager - always smiling and can never do enough for you. Facilities, food and location are fantastic and stress oozes out of you when you cross the threshold and are greeted like an old friend. A real home from home.
We will be back in September!

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andrew Chantrell, General Manager at The Old Government House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear 487careye,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback following your most recent stay with us at The OGH. It is always a joy to be able to welcome back guests who have stayed with us so regularly over the years and who have become friends but this year particularly so after having been closed for accommodation for so long. It feels wonderful to be back in the business of hospitality again and I know my team will be delighted to read your comments when I share them with them.

I hope it won't be another four years before you return to visit us and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2021

OGH is a magnificent hotel with beautiful views overlooking the harbour and Herm in the distance. OGH has such interesting furniture, artwork and works of art.
The swimming pool and spa are such a bonus.
OGH has an extremely dedicated staff and nothing is too much to please visitors - our fourth visit and it is so good to see so many familiar faces.
The restaurant provides superb food, we have never been more than 100% satisfied.
Even after a horrendous period of close down due to the pandemic, the standards remain as high as they always have been.
Needless to add we look forward to returning to this absolute gem of a hotel. Thank you Andrew Chantrell and the team for again making us feel so welcome.

Room tip: Book a King or Queen room over looking the harbour for stunning views.

Dear David S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a wonderful review.

After being closed for accommodation for such a long time, it is wonderful for us to be able to welcome guests back to enjoy not only the island but The OGH as well. I am so fortunate to have such a dedicated, loyal and friendly team and it will give me great pleasure to share your wonderful feedback with them.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2021 via mobile

We loved our stay at OGH. The staff are very unique and friendly and make you feel very welcome. The room was amazing having the balcony with views over the harbour. It was a delight to watch the varying scenes unfold. It was a great mix of traditional formality and yet informal at the same time. I imagine a lot of the team had worked at the hotel for a long time.

The only gripe we had was the Kitchen
We ate in the brasserie in the first night and the meal really was quite unpleasant. The main course of turbot wasn’t very tasty and my partners fish and chips was very greasy we both came away from the meal with unsettled stomachs! We did wonder whether there was a chef issue. Hot breakfasts were very inconsistent varying from waiting 45 mins but tasting hot and fresh to being delivered very prematurely and luke warm like they had been sitting on a buffet in the kitchen. One eggs Benedict had weird hollandaise steeped in vinegar. I tried one again later in the week and t was ok! The breakfast buffet though was excellent as were the waiting staff.

I imagine it must be a tough time with staffing post covid and I was impressed the hotel is up and running again

Room tip: Parking is difficult as 5hr parking zones nearby difficult to find. The valet system works well. Best balcony rooms on the 2nd floor
1  Thank jonworld
Andrew Chantrell, General Manager at The Old Government House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2021

Dear jonworld,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback following your recent stay at The OGH.

I am delighted to hear you loved the hotel, appreciated the view from your balcony and found the staff unique, friendly and welcoming. I was however sorry to learn of your disappointment with some of the meals you were served.

Having discussed this with my team and although both the Executive Chef and Head Chef were on sick leave while you are visiting, this ought not to have impacted on your experience. We regret the disappointment caused and that we don't appear to have been aware of it at the time, as we would have welcomed an opportunity to try and put things right for you.

I hope you will accept our apologies that everything was not absolutely perfect with some of the food served and that this will not deter you from staying with us again.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on this occasion and for taking the time to highlight the positives and negatives of your experience. I very much hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The OGH.

Reviewed 9 August 2021 via mobile

We stayed at the OGH for 7 nights and had a great time.

Facilities are always clean and of the highest standard.

Jaro and Ula took great care of us with excellent recommendations on things to do in Guernsey and surrounding islands.

Reception staff including Concierge, thank you for your recommendations and for keeping our car safe.
Bar staff, thanks for your service. The complementary hot chocolate on return from a very wet day in Sark was a very thoughtful and kind gesture.

Restaurant staff were very attentive and eager to please. We have food allergies and we were very well looked after. The Brasserie, the curry room and breakfast are great and all cater for dietary requirements.

Roberto thank you for your positive attitude, great service and sense of humour.

Breakfast team, great service and delicious breakfast. Loved all the fruit, cold meats and generous breakfast menu.

Also, big thank you to house keeping for always keeping our room and bathroom so clean and for the turn down service. Housekeeping are often overlooked but without chambermaids keeping premises and rooms clean, there simply wouldn’t be a hotel.

Thank you all!

We can’t wait to return soon.

Dear CarnW,

My team and I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to share such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am very fortunate to have such a loyal, dedicated and caring team and I will be thrilled to share your lovely words with them. Thank you also for acknowledging our Housekeeping team; as you say it is often easy to overlook these unsung heroes.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Guernsey and The OGH very soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2021

Guernsey is a hidden gem, and the hotel location is fantastic, right in the heart of St Peter Port. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and the food is superb - one of the best places to dine in Guernsey. But what makes the hotel extra special are its people - too many to mention but a big thank you to Jack, George, Alessandro, Carl. Everyone who looked after us in the restaurant and bars and the housekeeping team are always smiling and caring for their customers. We’ve already booked our next trip, thank you.

Room tip: Sea view and balcony rooms are worth the extra
Date of stay: July 2021

Dear hendyanddidi,

What a wonderful review and thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with other travellers.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit to Guernsey and The OGH. I will be pleased to share your lovely comments about your stay and particularly the team, especially Jack, George, Alessandro and Karl, who I know will be delighted that they were able to ensure that your stay was a great one.

We are all very happy to learn that you have already booked your next trip and look forward to welcoming you back to Guernsey and The OGH very soon.