Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
All reviews the river host chris charming b b self catering walking distance lovely garden double bed visiting glendalough great base for exploring home away from home short stay a lovely stay minute drive local area couldn't do enough the main house ireland
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I'm just back from two nights in the Tudor Lodge. We arrived on Saturday, left this morning. For a B&B in a relatively small and remote area of Ireland, Tudor Lodge is an extremely impressive place to stay. The rooms are large, clean and bright, the beds were comfortable and the food was great. The hosts - especially Chris - were brilliant. Extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much of an imposition and he went out of his way to make sure we were okay. Every question was answered promptly, every request acted on immediately.

The gardens to the rear of the house are wonderful - make sure you see the river. Lovely for a barbecue or just a chat in the night time.

The fact you can show your room key in the local pub for a free glass of wine is a lovely touch.

All in all it was a fantastic base for our writing and creative weekend and I'm extremely glad I went. I will be back and I will be recommending Tudor Lodge.

Date of stay: August 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2009

myself and a group of friends had a really good time at this beautiful setting in the mountains of clendalough, the tudor was very clean,had some very helpfull staff and the owners, Chris&Jane could not do enough for the whole group and we were a group 15, the breakfast was like a 4course meal and would keep you going for a whole day and we were always being asked would we like more, this is a great little place to stay it you wont good food,very nice people that will look after your every need and a great setting.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2009

myself and three of my friends stayed at the tudor lodge in laragh, everything was perfect, it was very clean,frendly and the food was the best, the staff could not do enought to help us, we were looked after by a little man called chris who was a very kind helpful person that would go out of his way to help us, i would recommend the tudor lodge to anyone.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We anually visited Tudor Lodge Glendalough for a weekend break for the last number of years, it is a very nice house with plenty of character, with the river to the rear & a barbeque decking area it has a great setting.

Unfortunately the hospitality levels were very disappointing, im not quite sure if the house has been taken over by new owners, but it was a new couple looking after the B&B, on previous occasions we felt much better looked after, we returned to the BB on the saturday nite of our stay only to find the electricity did not work. Customers previously were allowed to sit in the sun room during the day & have a quiet drink or read a book, but the sun room was out of bounds for customers.

To finish of when we were checking out we were over charged, my Mother & Aunty booked a double room yet they were charged for a triple. I argued that i had booked a double room but the owner was having none of it.

A b&b like Tudor lodge requires to be managed properly in my opinion the current owners do not live up to the mark.

I won't be staying here again & ill make sure non of my relatives do either. But i know because of its location it will always do well, maybe now while we are in a recession, people will read reviews before they decide on where to stay.

Duff

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Duff09
Reviewed 25 August 2008

A big part of the B&B experience is the hospitality of the owners. I didn't experience a great deal of it here. Although the rooms were a nice size and the property was pretty, this property is run more like inexpensive hotel than a B&B. The owners (especially the hostess) seem uncomfortable interacting with the guests.

The only time I saw the hostess was when she checked us in and when she was shuffling through the breakfast room, to her personal quarters, without stopping or saying a word to any of her guests while they ate their breakfast. The host was more friendly and if you happened to bump into him in the hallway he'd offer some ideas on what to see and do.

We booked almost 2 months in advance and yet were placed in a room facing the gravel parking lot . Our car stared at us inches from the window, while the rooms on the other side of the hallway with a view stood empty for days. The shower stopped working several times in the morning with no water coming out for 10 minutes or more.

Breakfast was advertised as "Full Irish" but no white or black pudding was found on the plate. Other than that it tasted fine and is included in the price.

They do have internet access, but the information we were given to connect was invalid (bad key).

A 2% additional charge was taken because we used our credit card (no other place we stayed did this).

There are plenty of nice places to stay in this area -- skip this one. It was by far our least favorite during our vacation.

Date of stay: August 2008