“Great food and good value”
Review of The Hungry Monk

The Hungry Monk
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Greystones
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 46
Cuisines: European, Irish, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family run restaurant and bistro established in 1988. Great food and ambience with an emphasis on fresh, seasonal and local produce. Multi award winning establishment with a HUGE wine list, over 700 listings!!!!!!
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This is a family friendly restaurant that’s not hung up on formalities. You put your jacket on the back of your seat if you want and sit down to great conversation and a lovely meal. The background music is not over powering the lights are down low and candles illuminate the table creating a lovely atmosphere.

The kids menu was great my six year old wolfed down the home made burger which is a feat in itself as he normally picks at the food. He was also kept occupied by the colouring page on the back fo the menu. My twelve year old went for the curry chicken and was also really pleased with his choice.
I went for the Chicken Andalucia which was full of flavours and nicely presented. My wife had a burger, they gave her a chicken option even though it was not actually on the menu.

The kids menus came with cordial and ice cream and we shared an Eton Mess which was delicious.

All the portions were nicely sized and we were all full but not overly so and nothing went to waste.

The whole meal including soft drinks and service came to just over seventy euro.

If you are thinking of going it’s worth while booking as it seems to always be busy and I can understand why.

Thanks to all the staff and we do hope to go back.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Great food, friendly staff, lively ambiance, altogether enjoyable birthday celebration. Not at all monastic!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

I ate here, yesterday infact. Myself and my wife went in with a couple of friends and our children. We were there by opening time on the button and were enticed in by the who I can only assume was the manager or owner. Their eagerness to impress was there from the get go with an in your face comedic humor that made our minds up for us while browsing the menu. So, in we went.
I have to say I loved the decor. An eery, Gothic, church like design and theme was spread throughout, staying religious to the name. It was almost like being brought in to a different dimension when we went in and sat down. The toilets were gas, low ceilings and even lower doors. Spotlessly clean with some crazy monks singing hymns being played through the PA.
The menu was a great size, large enough to cater for tastes and moods, but not too big to become overwhelming. I tried a french onion soup starter which was beautiful and makes me salivate as I type, my only drawback would be I would have liked more bread to have accompanied the soup. We also had chicken wings, burgers and chicken "andalucia". My chicken was absolutely mouth watering. The flavours were great. I tried my wife's burger as she could not finish it. Looking at the huge slab of meat between the brioche buns I expected it to be as dry as a monks sandal although it was light, moist and moreish. The chicken wings were flavoured very well with a nice crisp to them. The chips that accompanied the burgers were also very nice, home cut chips. Dessert followed, and there was a mix of "Crunchie" cheesecake, chocolate biscuit cake and marshmallow brownies. Great dessert menu and great portion sizes.
There drinks menu is something to marvel at. As it was lunch there was no heavy drinking although I wish I was here at dinner time without the kids! The wine list is huge with a vast array of different grapes and regions to suit any palette and accompany any meal. The beer menu is great too, I managed to get a bottle of my favorite, Spaten beer which was a huge bonus. A few sneaky espresso martinis were ordered, more so out of curiosity , and were also guilty great!
All in all a fantastic meal. We did pay for it though. The bill came to €160 for 4 adults and 1 child who had a portion of chips! We did order alot to be fair. A service charge was put on the bill too, I am not sure why considering there was just the 4 adults and 2 children, one child 2 years old and another 6 months old. I planned on leaving a nice tip although it felt a little odd seeing a service charge put on a menu for 2 couples and their children. A small flaw in an otherwise excellent experience.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

We regularly use the Hungry Monk for meals out with friends & family. The atmosphere is great, the food is good, the wine range is good and it's all reasonably priced. Have never been disappointed with the Hungry Monk experience!

Reviewed 1 March 2018

Had a wonderful family Sunday lunch. Great food with friendly and attentive staff. The owner found an old friend of mine a 1994 Domaine Tempier from Bandol . Absolutely DEVINE. Looking forward to going back asap.