“A Summer evening in Ambledown Tea Rooms”

Ambledown Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Glaslough
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 14
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2018

6th July 2018 Its a beautiful summers evening in Ireland today and I decided to visit a friend in Monaghan and she suggested that as I was "ravenous" that we should take a trip on to Glaslough in Co Monaghan for a quick bite to eat . Now Glaslough is famous for the beautiful Castle Leslie Estate and Equestrian Center and having dined and stayed there before we decided to go to the Ambledown Tea Rooms beside the main entrance gate of the Castle and as the name suggests we Ambled down a hill to a very picturesque Tea Rooms about 100 metres from the gate of the castle to a little Magical piece of Monaghan a far throw from the Poet Patrick Kavanagh's "Stony grey soil etc" to a beautiful flower festuned Oasis with friendly staff and in an unbelievable setting.
We were asked did we have a reservation which we did not and we were given a choice of tables either inside the tearooms or out in the Back Garden to dine Al- fresco. Our waitress Ellen escorted us to a table out side ,seated us and asked us did we want a drink and offered us the menu .
This is a BYOW restaurant (bring your own wine) and as we did not have wine we opted for soft drinks and the menu.
A nice menu with loads of tasty bits to choose from.
We went for Nachos , Pizza and Garlic bread all together to share and followed up with the Ambledown Assiette and Ice Cream, completing our dining with a Americano coffee and a Baileys Coffee. All excellent in price, quality and in this occasion quantity ( we could not manage to finish the Nachos) My only complaint and it is probably my own fault is that when I was asked which dips I would like, having not really studied the menu I went for Garlic dip and the Spicy Mayo dip but we were charged 1.50 each for each dip. (I felt they should have been included in the price) But as I have said that could well have been my own fault for not really studying the menu .
I visited the bathroom which was spotlessly clean , The garden was a series of little odd shaped rooms housing tables for those who wished to dine indoors and the floral bed around the garden gave the place a truly picturesque and colourful .
Ambledown Cottage is really worth a return visit .
I have just read some of the other reviews and I will say this . If you want Fine Dining with Silver Service then the Castle next door is the place for you, this is a laid back friendly place with cheerful helpful staff and it was a pleasure to dine there.
When I finished I went to my car to discover the battery was flat and Ellen our waitress got me sorted in less than 5 minutes . Well done Ellen

1  Thank Austin B

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

My friends went to this establishment for an evening out but left very disappointed with everything ! Time waiting on menus , time waiting for orders to b taken , getting orders wrong , other customers being served first ( even though they were in after my friends ) ! All in all , a very un-enjoyable evening !

2  Thank Niall M
Reviewed 21 June 2018

Dined on a Friday evening and would happily have stayed all evening. The food, welcome, attention and atmosphere are second to none. When I asked for something not on the menu for my gluten free daughter they happily obliged. Ordered a pot of tea for two and how wonderful enough for many cups. Also the tray bake bites which were such a delight. We will be back and recommend Ambledown to one and all.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

We visited here on a Sunday afternoon after hearing lots of people rave about the place. I had rung up to book as there were 5 of us. 2 adults 3 children. On entering we were met by a girl who explained our table was in a room by ourselves or we could eat outside. We asked if we could eat in one of the outside rooms and were rudely told the table was needed back for 6.30. I will note the place wasn’t overly busy at this stage one or two tables at most. We ordered off the menu which was lovely apart from limited offerings for children as such. My little girl like chips and the only had wedges?!
Our food came and was delicious but we did have to ask for cutlery more juice our little boys pizza to be taken out when it was ready etc.
I would have understood if the place was crazy busy but it wasn’t.
Anything we asked for seemed an inconvenience to the serving staff . We decided not to have dessert at this stage as we were half afraid we’d be putting the staff out at such a request to be honest. I did note as we were leaving a young chap taking an order from a table. He seemed very pleasant and friendly. Perhaps if we had been served by him our experience would have been different. I wouldn’t be in a hurry back and this is solely down to the service. Sorry!

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Beautiful venue, very quaint and full of character. Weather was beautiful so we sat in the courtyard.
Had my 13 year old with me, menu was nice but having a fussy eater, there wasn't much for her to choose from but the lovely staff tried to accommodate with a ham and cheese ciabatta.
I ordered the pizza due to the amazing reviews on here about it but being honest, it wasn't anything near amazing...sadly.

While the menu is nice, it does lack variety especially if you intend to bring children there isn't alot on offer. (Not saying they should do nuggets and chips as generally I don't like kids menus due to lack of anything resembling healthy food).

I would like to say the staff were lovely, the place itself is a stunning quaint place but I do think the food on offer for the price isn't up to standard. It's a shame.

1  Thank Eilish123959