“a grand stay in a grand old place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Killashee - Hotel Spa Leisure

Killashee - Hotel Spa Leisure
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Naas
UK
“a grand stay in a grand old place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Had a great short stay at the Killashee during the Punchestown race festival.

The hotel is a grand old thing that actually used to be a Nunnery.
It's a real old fashioned place with great colour, lush furniture and fittings, a great sense of history and a real sense of grandour.
There lots of weddings here and you can see why, its very plush.

My room was very clean and old fashioned, bathroom was immaculate.
Food was great, service was great and the drinks were not badly priced (for a hotel anyway).
Staff were very pleasant and helpful and not able to fault the place at all.

Location is about 3 mile away from Naas high street (e8 taxi) and there's plenty of good bars and places to eat here if you fancy getting out and about.

Pool, sauna, jacuuzi, gym etc all available and enjoyed them all.

A great stay at a great place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DurhamPitLad
ManagerKillashee, General Manager at Killashee - Hotel Spa Leisure, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear DurhamPitLad,

Thank you for choosing to stay in Killashee for Punchestown 2012. After an eventful, fun, busy and at times slightly manic week, reading your review truly motivate the team and I alike. I am pleased that every aspect of the luxury Killashee resort was to your taste, from the history to the service to the pricing.

We look forward to welcoming you back for Punchestown 2013, or hopefully sooner.

Dee Nix
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
monaghan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Went away for a night with mum and sister, we had a beautiful time. The staff wre really helpful and did everything to make the stay really enjoyable. The spa and very relaxing and dinner was excellent. Our room was very spacious with beautiful decor, especailly the wallpaper. Will def. go back soon for another treat. Lovely foyer to sit and relax and people watch.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Drogheda, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Very good service in the dining room. Room excellent. Jack's bar and diner staff could be more friendly and welcoming. But overall a very enjoyable weekend!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ManagerKillashee, General Manager at Killashee - Hotel Spa Leisure, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Joseph G,

It was a pleasure to read your feedback on your recent stay to Killashee House Hotel. I am glad our newly renovated rooms and the quality of service in Turners was to your liking. I appreciate your bringing to our attention the service in Jack’s and I can assure you this is being addressed.

It is a priority to us that you become a regular guest at Killashee so we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here on the 20th of April for one night as I was attending a friends wedding with my wife. Unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy the full facilities the hotel has to offer but what I did experience was very good. Nice clean rooms and good service. The hotel is quite big and a little bit scattered in its lay out but had a very good time all the same.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagerKillashee, General Manager at Killashee - Hotel Spa Leisure, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear tango24778,

I truly appreciate your sharing you experience on tripadvisor.com of your stay on the 20thApril. I always love hearing that such an important occasion as a wedding was so enjoyable and memorable.

Both the team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another mini luxury break in Kildare.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I had occasion to ring the hotel before our spa break and, just as a ‘by the way’, checked if dressing gowns and slippers were supplied. They were not, unless ordered in advance! I duly ordered them. The driveway leading to Killashee House is splendid as is the view of the house and grounds. The lobby is dark but well-furnished and has an olde worlde charm. At reception they announced that we’d been upgraded which came as a welcome surprise, and that our dressing gowns were in the room. The trek to the bedrooms saw me becoming a little less enamoured. A lift took us up three floors and then we had a very long walk (anyone using a Ryan Air Terminal will know what I mean) to another lift which took us down two floors. Throughout our stay we met confused residents unable to discover their rooms.
Our room was clean with a good sized bed and a small television sitting inside a very large TV cabinet. There was no fridge, no mini bar, but there was a kettle and a supply of tea bags. The kettle had seen better days and one had to be careful of the steam escaping through the handle as it boiled. Despite the beautiful grounds our window overlooked a vast expanse of tarmacadammed car park. So much for the upgrade! I had an immediate appointment for a treatment at the spa but there were no dressing gowns in the room. I lifted the phone to call reception and it fell to pieces in my hand! Thankfully, I cobbled it together, got through to reception, complained about the phone and lack of dressing gowns and was assured of immediate attention. I couldn’t wait – I had to find the spa. Another walk, down one floor in the lift and follow the arrows to a door marked Villa Spa. It opened onto a filthy outdoor staircase (blackbirds were building their nests in the eaves and the stairs were littered with twigs and cigarette butts). The Spa was on the other side of the large car park and I walked through the icy rain to get to it. Killashee House fails to state the distance between the hotel and spa and also that the leisure suite, gym, pool etc. is open to the general public. If one is expecting a relaxing swim or sauna, this is not the place for you. Hotel guests were expected to walk in their dressing gowns (provided) through the large gym where a number of people had come to work out on the weekend and to share the steam rooms with them. On a bank holiday weekend, the pool was quite full with families. I decided not to use these facilities.
Far from feeling relaxed after my treatment I arrived back in my room exhausted and soaked to the skin. Umbrellas are not supplied by either the spa or the hotel. I decided to take a nap. The mattress was good quality and very hard which is ok if you like that. The pillows were equally hard and uncomfortable. Unfortunately, just as I was dozing off, my partner decided to wash his hands and the plumbing sprang to life like an old fashioned steam train running along a rickety track. I literally leapt up in fright. I just wanted to go home at that stage but my partner had organised the trip so that I could spoil myself for a weekend so I gritted my teeth and decided to take a shower before dinner. The bathroom had a bath with a shower head and a free standing shower with a glass door. It looked fairly modern and there was a plentiful supply of hot water but the door stubbornly refused to close unless really yanked shut. The same amount of force had to be applied in order to escape it. The hair dryer extended from the wall like a hoover hose with a nozzle on the end – not ideal but… I began to dry my hair and within seconds the nozzle fell off – it was only held together with sellotape.
Turners, the restaurant which only opens on Saturday night btw, was a beautifully large room with ornate pillars, cornicing and glistening chandeliers. For want of a few dimmer switches the ambience was destroyed but staff was attentive and friendly and the food, much to my surprise, was really excellent.
Killashee House had two weddings on that particular weekend so unfortunately the grounds were closed off to us after dinner. Instead of the walk we expected we went to Jacks Bar which is large and open with an outdoor area for smokers. Unfortunately, the patio heaters were broken and smokers froze as did the women in their wedding outfits who just wanted a break from the celebrations. They were not fixed for the entire 3 days we spent there. Some people complained that they had no heat in their rooms and that they couldn’t sleep as it was bitterly cold. On the way back to our room we noticed various receptacles catching water beneath the radiators in the corridor. The carpets were wet underfoot.
Breakfast was held in the Turner room and that is when it comes into its own – it is spacious and flooded with light. Again, staff members were attentive and there was a wide choice of juices, cereals, fruit, pastries, yoghurt and a good number of cooked breakfasts. On the second evening we ate in Jacks and the food, although simpler fare, was equally good.
On the evening of our third day the heating stopped working in our room and we put a call in to reception. I decided to take a bath. Again the hot water was plentiful but when I went to use the shower head to rinse my hair, it sprung a leak and sprayed all over the place. My partner noticed a line of water appearing on the carpet in the bedroom, quickly followed and criss-crossed by another line. A pipe under the floor had obviously burst. I think we’d been beaten into submission by then and just decided to report it when we went down to dinner. Later that evening, staff told us that they had handled the leak in our bedroom – they’d put towels down on the floor to soak it up!! On the bright side, the heating was now working. In fairness, they offered to move us but stories we’d heard from other residents convinced us that it was best to stick with the devil we knew as we were leaving the following morning. That was a mistake. The heating would not turn off and in the morning the mirrors, windows and walls were all steamed up and I had a sore throat.
Killashee House is beautiful but the extensions added to the original were over ambitious, built cheaply without due regard to the overall aesthetic and with a complete lack of thought with regard to convenience. I can safely say that I will never, ever, be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Frances K
Dear Pamela52,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback of your recent stay in Killashee House Hotel. We appreciate your highlighting the beauty of Killashee, and the high quality of service in both Turners and Jack’s.

I would like to sincerely apologise for your experience with the accommodation, we are in the process of renovating our rooms and I am sorry you did not get to fully enjoy your stay due to this. I would also like to apologise for the speed of service from our reception.

I am truly disappointed I did not get to meet you personally during your stay and I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you ever have occasion to be in Killashee again and I will ensure to personally oversee your stay or dining experience.

Dee Nix
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naas
2.5 km away
23.3 km away
Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
28.7 km away
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Killashee - Hotel Spa Leisure? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK