“Great Restaurant”
Review of The Pier Head

The Pier Head
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Kinvara
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Description: Located on the quay in the village of Kinvara, breath taking views overlooking the bay and Dunguaire Castle. We cater for all tastes. Daily lunch menu served from 12, a la carte from 5. Large upstairs room overlooking bay can be used for private parties.
Reviewed 16 August 2018

Arrived for our 7.30pm booking to find a restaurant packed to the hilt - post Galway Races revellers. Our table wasn’t ready so we were happy to have a drink at the bar. I was very happy with the barman’s suggestion of a local gin. The reason I have only given 3 stars for this restaurant is we did not get our table until after 8.30pm - over an hour after our booking and it wasn’t the table we had booked beside the window - not good enough! Once we ordered our meals came promptly and were absolutely delicious. I had the biggest bowl of mixed seafood ever!

1  Thank Elspeth M

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Thank you to the lovely gentleman on tonight in the restaurant (Friday 10th August). My partner and I arrived in very late at 9.40pm and were not very hopeful that we would be served food at this time of the evening but the young man (Barnabas) who greeted us at the door reassured us that it was no problem at all. Barnabas looked after us personally and was so attentive that it honestly felt like we were in a 5 star restaurant. The food was lovely and the place itself is located in a lovely place but it's the service that really sells this place. Thank you Barnabas and the other staff who looked after us tonight!

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

We ate here as a couple over the busy August Bank holiday weekend. The restaurant was buzzing all evening with a very good atmosphere.

The food was fabulous.....one of the finest meals I’ve eaten in many years. Starter of seafood chowder was superb, followed by one of the day’s specials of steamed mussels, clams, king prawns and crab claws. The portions were huge.

There is an good choice of fresh seafood on offer as well as very generous steaks.

Service was excellent and very friendly.

Highly recommended but maybe a reservation would be wise during busy periods.

Reviewed 8 August 2018

This is really a pretty good place, it's just the house-that-Jack-built impression that jars a bit once you get past the welcoming entrance. Service is prompt and friendly and most of the dishes are pretty good - we really liked the chowder for example, but the untidy impression created by the different rooms and the "afterthought" and untidy toilets really took the good out of it.

Reviewed 8 August 2018

We popped in here on our last night in Kinvarra. I'm really pleased we did. I was a bit unsure about the bar vs the restaurant but it all seems to be the same and the same menu. The upstairs restaurant referred to in some reviews doesn't appear to be operating and that does have spectacular views (I had a peek when I went to the bathroom which is upstairs). I had tried calling to make a reservation and the phone wasn't answered and it worked out well as the restaurant area was full and we were seated in the bar. The downstairs restaurant area has no view and I really preferred the more airy space where we were plus the view. Service wasn't impeccable but very good with young people well dressed and well trained and clearly trying hard to deliver.

The food wasn't amazing but very good and certainly an improvement on some o the meals we had while in Ireland. It was nice to see cod service pan fried as I was getting a little tired of cod deep fried in chips - so well done to the Pier Head.

We would certainly return.

1  Thank travellingbuzz