Excellent accommodation in an ideal location to explore this lovely part of Ireland. The standard of cleanliness and attention to detail is second to none. The facilities provide everything that you will need - even an electric blanket. Although the owner could not be there when we arrived, arrangements had been made to ensure that we had a warm welcome.We were then visited later to ensure that we had no problems. We will certainly consider visiting this property again should we be in this part of Ireland.
We spent 10 days in this cottage. And, it was wonderful. It was exactly what we had hoped for and more. The location was rural (between Killybegs and Donegal Town) with the owners a house away. Jennifer and Willie were the best. We can't say enough good things about Wild Rose Cottage. It was quaint, clean, good beds and good wifi. The only downside was the roses weren't in bloom!!
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|
|Families with young children|
The Travelers (background):
Since 2007 my wife and I have visited Ireland 7 times staying at numerous cottages during our trips. During our 5 week vacation this year we selected the Wild Rose Cottage the week of 11 – 17 April 2015. Our party consisted of 3 females and 1 male. Ages were 30, 60, 61 & 64. Party origin: 2 – Oceanside, CA; 1 - Grand Forks, ND; and 1 - Rochester, NY (USA).
Of all my visits to Ireland, this is the first time I felt compelled to submit a review and share just how outstanding this cottage was. Simply stated, the cottage is ideally located for discovering Co Donegal as well as other nearby Counties. If your goal is to explore northwest Ireland, this is definitely the place to stay. It exceeded all of our needs.
Cottage (positive points):
1. The cottage was clean.
2. All the appliances worked.
3. Bedrooms were spacious.
4. Beds were comfortable with clean linen.
5. The fire place was excellent (we used it every night).
6. Flatware and silverware were clean and ready to use (unlike 2 sites this year where I had to wash everything before using it).
7. There was plenty of car parking.
8. The cottage was close to Dunkineely to allow for walks into town and back (especially important so everyone could have a pint or two without anyone having to drive).
9. Wi-Fi was available (we used it at night to research potential sites to visit the next day).
10. The information-binder was current.
11. The road by the cottage was not high-traffic so one was not awaken to vehicles rushing back and forth in the morning or at night (we were out site-seeing during the day).
12. There were numerous electronic devices/amenities, i.e. TV, VCR, etc. which were available for use but our interests were in enjoying Ireland, not wasting time doing something we could do any day back home.
Cottage (negative point):
1. Overly sensitive smoke detector (taken care of by owners).
Willie & Jennifer Mackey gave us a full tour of the cottage when we arrived pointing out all the features and how everything worked. They made us feel truly welcome and were available 24 x7 for our questions or needs (whether it was the problem with the overly sensitive smoke detector or obtaining more Wi-Fi data download due to my daughter forgetting to turn off her auto-sync on her i-pad and i-phone (data-killer)). They provided that extra touch that I haven’t found very often at cottages I’ve rented in the past.
I most definitely recommend this cottage to others to rent (as long as they don’t interfere with when I want to rent it again).
We had a wonderful stay in this cute, cozy and clean cottage! Not to mention, very affordable and in a great location. Thanks Jennifer and Willie for your hospitality. The cottage is equipped with every thing you would want during your stay, but is also very authentic and Irish, giving you a true experience. Great for families as well, plenty of room for kids to run around and even a swingset in back garden! Beautiful views especially at sunset. We will probably be back on our next trip to Donegal!!
Stayed in the wild rose cottage last week for a relaxing family holiday with the kids (2yo and 3mth old) and we had the most amazing holiday! Willie and Jennifer run this letting perfectly with everything you could ever need for young and old. With walking access to dunkineely town where the locals are really friendly we recommend trying out the local bars and baskins cafe. Both donegal town and killybegs are within a 15 minute drive with plenty to offer. But most of all willie and Jennifer made our stay memorable by making sure the kids had plenty of things to do...never met a more thoughtful couple. Thanks guys!