Powell Valley Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in La Follette
See available hotels
Comfort Inn(Pioneer)
View Hotel
Lamb's Inn Motel(Rocky Top)
Econo Lodge(Rocky Top)
View Hotel
Blue Haven Motel(Rocky Top)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2010

The worst houseboat we have ever been on. The Houseboat smelled of sewer the whole trip, rundown, decayed, hottime time machine horror, carpets had so much mildew, afraid to sit on couch fear of bugs, place was a nightmare. We ran out of fresh water, lost power to boat we had to Mcguver an extension cord to jump battery, no cables.Mary owner disappears when we come back to give us our 800.00 deposit. DO NOT RENT FROM HERE. There are so many great Maruna on the lake , this was something out of the Ghoulies movie with Chevy Chase.Place. Oh did I mention no radio to contact anyone. I felt dirty everyday. Only good thing was my friends and we made the best of it and had some great laughs over this floating horror.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank ckllag
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I tried to reserve the 60 ft houseboat for our vacation and since it wasn't available, we were offered the 75 ft one for the same price. We arrived and the marina (Powell Valley) was unkept and rundown with no air conditioning & poor lighting. But we were excited to be going on a weekend vacation & thought things would be better once we were on the houseboat----we were so wrong. I noticed that the houseboat didn't have a swim ladder and asked the employee about it and he said that it would take 3 or 4 hours to weld one on & that they didn't have time. Once we were parked in a cove many things became evident. The fridge wouldn't cool (never did)- we had to keep everything in the freezer or on ice in the coolers. The microwave worked when it wanted to. The TV, VCR, DVD players did not work. The gas stove was not hooked up or the pilot light lit (we grilled everything- even scrambled eggs). The only knives on board were butter knives, no spatula's-not enough cutlery. The radio or speakers didn't work. The upstairs lights didn't work. The CB radio for emergency use didn't work either. Fans in bedrooms didn't work. Half of the outlets didn't work. The grill was filthy and nothing to clean it with. The biggest inconvenience (for me- since I've had knee surgeries) was that we didn't have a swim ladder. When we arrived back at the marina I asked to speak to Mary the owner- just to bring all of these things to her attention. She was rude & very unprofessional. She said that if we would've let her know of the things they would have fixed them before we left. My point is that if you pay $2000.00 for a weekend on a "luxury" houseboat, then everything should be in working order BEFORE a customer boards it. She then said that we got it for a discount & she didn't agree to that. Which I had called the day before and confirmed it, just to avoid problems like this. She also said that if she would've known that, she would not have filled up the hot tub, since it is an additonal $450.00 (for cleaning & filling up)..even though we watched the employee dump "Generic" Bleach in it before we left ( like that adds up to 450.00) She offered to not charge us for the gas we used, but being fed up and an honest person, I told her I'd pay it because I did use it, and we would NEVER be back. The gas was a dollar higher than elsewhere too. If she keeps running her business this way, she'll be out of business in no time! We were planning to return with 2 other trips later this summer (if she would have made amends, or offered a discount, or even apologized), with our employees & families, but not with customer service provided by Mary. ....She should listen, the customer is always right. Norris lake is awesome, but not powell valley marina.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank johnniereb
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Our week long vacation was cut short after the second houseboat we were on broke down for the second time.

First Boat: engines failed, as we were motoring in the lake, refrig did not work, Sink leaks on pots and pans stored below. We waited most of the day to be transferred to a second boat.
The 2nd boat had no screens so in the evening we had bats in the boat. The toilets did not work. We had to dip a bucket in the lake and use that water to flush down the previous renters poop. There was a short of something that caused the batteries to not take a charge. If the generator was not running you had no electric which meant no toilets no lights. They came out to fix the battery problem changed something so we had to run the engines for power. The next day the power died again, so we cancelled the rest of our vacation.

The boats have no way of contacting the marina. Cell phones work only in spots. We had to paddle out to contact the marina to get help and it took 1/2 a day for them to find us in a clearly marked area.

I could go on, there was more but I do not want to remember.
The last kicker was after we got home from a disaster vacation, the owner called and wanted to charge us an extra $25 for flea bombs since we had our dog on TWO boats! Gee, if the boats worked we would have only been on one.

Bottomline, avoid these boats.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LousyHouseboat
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Family & I stayed at Powell Valley Resort. First we stayed in the campground it was awful! Abandoned boats everywhere, playground was outdated & tore up.

The bathrooms & showers were a joke, ENTIRE PLACE WAS A JOKE! We moved from the camping grounds to their motel. didn't think it could be any worse than the campgrounds but was I wrong!

The room was full of nats, flies, spiders, etc....The bed didn't have a sheet on it, floor hadn't been vacuumed in a LONG TIME, chair in the room had gum stuck on the seat,we flipped the cushion over there was bugs inside the chair, bathroom didn't have any towels/ wash clothes, kitchen was from the 60's hardly any plates or any items that should be there, bugs in the coffee pot.

We went down to the dock & the ramp was falling apart, dogs running around in the restaurant, the help was very rude, not to mention when I asked to speak to the owner it took this lady (named Mary) over 30 minutes to come speak to us &when I told her about our experience in the room she REFUSED to believe it, I offered to show her the room & she basically accused my family & I for the cause of it all. She didn't take ANYTHING off our bill, instead she charged us full price.
Oh and how could I forget, there was a constable by the name of "McCulley" that came and harassed us, for his reasoning saying "We looked like we were up to no good" when we were simply walking to the bathroom.

This was a horrible vacation!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank OhioCampers
Reviewed 16 March 2008

This was the best trip my family and I have had in a long time. We rented a beautiful House Boat and proceeded to have a blast. The boat was clean and like new. The camp grounds and lake were so beautiful that this time we will be returning to rent one of the new chalets that is 5 bedrooms and 3 baths. I really can't say enough about the experience. The employees saw to our every need and the owner made sure we were happy and well cared for.

Missing Powell Valley Resorts all the way from Texas.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)