All reviews market square great location gay street nice hotel underground parking breakfast buffet fire station covered parking within walking distance per day restaurants and bars fitness center walk in shower self parking an older hotel indoor pool would highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Ms. Deborah Longston upheld the best customer service and showed her appreciation for customers. She also presents a friendship and has a deep love and respect for what she does. Your company will succeed with people like her. Keep up the great work and thank you for hosting me and the other personal pursuing our military careers!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Ken K, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Thank you Zach. I will pass your kind words along to Deborah. Thanks also for your service to our country.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

I stayed at this property for three nights and, all in all, was pleased. I initially had a problem accessing the wifi and the staff took the time to go with me to a proposed new room to check the signal there, as they said the hotel was preparing to completely replace its wifi system and the old system was, at best, hit-or-miss. The bed was very comfortable, although the cotton blankets/bedspreads have seen better days and are getting a bit stiff after so many washings.. The bath looked to be recently refurbished and had a great tiled shower. The room decor is nice and fairly fresh but nothing luxurious. The hotel is one block from Market Square where there are several trendy little restaurants and there are also things a block further on Gay Street, with restaurants, cinema, and the Tennessee Theatre. Knoxville has come a long way since I last lived there in the 1990s. For the modest price I paid, this was a good deal, but I would not pay a premium rate. This hotel was built for the 1982 World's Fair as a Radisson and is showing its age somewhat, expecially in the lobby areas.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south have nice views of Market Square and (on higher floors) the Smoky Mountains.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback. As promised our new WiFi system has been installed and is lightning fast in all areas of the hotel.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

If you want to be downtown, this certainly fits the bill in Knoxville. They have valet parking reasonably priced, and very convenient self parking under the hotel which is going to run you $8 a night on top of your room rate.

You can walk to the market square where there are a bunch of restaurants and boutique shops. Plenty to see and do without getting in the car which is nice.

The main areas of the hotel such as lobby and entrance have a traditional upscale feel, nothing amazing, but pleasant. I only dined in the restaurant for breakfast but the staff were attentive and friendly, remembered names or something about you. The food was decent for a buffet, but there are also menu options if you want something bespoke.

The room was nice, but unfortunately lacking a refrigerator. It looked like the bathroom had been recently remodeled with the traditional small tub replaced with a very nice tiled shower.

Climate control worked well, and the bed was comfortable. However, the walls are fairly thin. I could hear another guest coughing in the next room and the TV. I get the impression that had I been unfortunate enough to have been next to a boisterous group or couple, I'd have known about it. Over breakfast I heard one of the other guests talking about being disturbed by a party on their floor.

The staff were very attentive and helpful. No sour attitudes, just warm smiles and good service. My two nights there were perfectly enjoyable, the price reasonable and frankly nothing to complain about.

Give me a refrigerator and sound proof the rooms a little better and it would be worth top marks.

Room Tip: One direction (the entrance side - South East) faces the market place area but is overlooked by the TVA high rise, so you might want to draw the privacy curtains before taking a shower! The other way faces the opposite direction (NW), and I'm not sure what you see that way - less sun I suspect.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing the Crowne Plaza Knoxville.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

The hotel itself and all amenities were exceptional & I would recommend staying there. My rating is reduced to a 3 due to reservation issues. My daughter had a contract to guarantee a block of rooms for her wedding at a discounted rate for out of town guests. We understood that if these rooms were not booked, we would have to pay for the empty rooms (a considerable sum). Our guests were told to request rooms blocked for the wedding and this was handled properly by the in-house representative. However, when he was busy or not working, the calls were routed to a national reservation desk that gave the incorrect information that the block was full. This actually caused some of our guests to stay elsewhere. We had to call guests, explain, and try to track down where everyone was staying & ask them to change so we could fill those rooms. This was an aggravation we didn't need the week before the wedding.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

I always stay at the Crown Plaza when I work in Knoxville. Recent room and bathroom updates make the hotel more appealing. The best part about the hotel the proximity to Market Square, Tennessee Theatre, and restaurants on Gay Street.

The corporate discount sways my perspective on the price per night, but I am guessing it is worth around $125 at open market pricing.

Overall, I suggest it strongly if in town for a concert, especially if it is at the TN Theatre.

• Stayed: November 2012