“Great place for light meal!”

Babalu Tapas & Tacos
Ranked #33 of 1,304 Restaurants in Knoxville
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 17
Description: Babalu Tacos & Tapas is a lively restaurant that uses fresh and local ingredients to create bold flavors. You will find a variety of authentic gourmet tacos and Spanish-style tapas with a Southern twist. Every item on the menu, down to the blue corn tortilla, is made from scratch daily - our famous guacamole is prepared tableside. Our bar carries the finest tequilas, and all drinks are handcrafted daily using fresh squeezed lemons and limes.
Reviewed 20 May 2018

My mother and I were in town for a wedding and stopped in because earlier in the day we walked past and saw several people eating this big bowl of guacamole. We couldn't stop thinking about it because it looked so good, so when we wanted a light bite later in the day, we walked back to Babalu's and we're glad we did!
It was very busy and the wait was an hour but we were told we could sit at the bar first come basis. We chose to sit there and were greeted immediately. We quickly ordered the guacamole and two drinks. The mango margarita went very well with the guac. It was made at our table and you could choose all the ingredients or just some of them. It was made with about 3 whole avocado's so the $10.00 price tag was reasonable.
We also shared the crab cakes and the shrimp and grits. Both were very tasty and tasted very high end.
We will be sure to visit again if we are back in town. Extremely satisfied!

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

When this place first opened, I didn’t want to try it since it’s not the typical taco place. I regret not trying this place sooner! We had the table-side Guacamole where the server makes it in front of you! My fiancé had the chicken and waffles (which he said were amazing), and I had a grilled fish taco, grilled shrimp taco, and the pork. I honestly don’t know which was the best, but they were all equally as amazing! They also are not too spicy (medium at the hottest) for some of them. Definitely try this place if you are from out of town, or even if you live in town and need a new place to try!

Reviewed 19 May 2018

Whether you are looking for a smaller meal or you wish to have a normal meal size, this is THE place you want to choose before a movie, concert, show, or just walking around Knoxville's downtown district.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

A good, solid restaurant with some delicious dishes. I have been there a coupe of times. You cannot miss the guacamole made to order at the table (but ask for little salt if you don't like salty food). A new dish I have tried last time was the caramel cheesecake. It was really good, worthy of all its calories!

Reviewed 4 May 2018

I can't tell you enough what an amazing experience was lunch at Babalu this week. It was Taco Tuesday and red fish tacos - meaty chunks of blackened fish in a traditional corn tortilla with slaw and vinaigrette, along with the soup of the day and sweet tea - were as perfect a lunch as I can remember. And service was kind and attentive but never intrusive. Will be back for ceviche soon!