“Fresh guacamole made in front of you, tastes as good as it looks!”

Babalu Tapas & Tacos
Ranked #34 of 1,304 Restaurants in Knoxville
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 17
Description: Babalu Tacos & Tapas is a lively restaurant that uses fresh and local ingredients to create bold flavors. You will find a variety of authentic gourmet tacos and Spanish-style tapas with a Southern twist. Every item on the menu, down to the blue corn tortilla, is made from scratch daily - our famous guacamole is prepared tableside. Our bar carries the finest tequilas, and all drinks are handcrafted daily using fresh squeezed lemons and limes.
Reviewed 15 January 2018

That was my first visit to Babalu's, and the waiter took his time kindly answering our endless questions about the food. Their guacamole is just made on the table, and it tastes great! I tried their shrimp and grits, and have to admit it was the best shrimp and grits I've ever had! I tasted other dishes which my friends ordered, and they tasted good but not perfect. The only problem was that the portions were really tiny and we ended up grabbing pizza few hours later.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

Fourteen people on a Saturday night at 6:00pm, no reservation.
Seated within twenty minutes. Timely service, never felt rushed or forgotten.
We ordered many things as a group. There were several standouts and no mistakes. I highly recommend the table-side guac and the house-made hummus. They are both fresh, flavorful, and unique. The pork belly taco (Carne de Cerdo) is among the best things I've ever been given at a tapas bar. The Rosti Potatoes is THE best thing I've ever been given at a tapas bar. High marks to the chicken enchiladas as well.
Bringing up the rear was a decent chicken taco (Pollo Frito); it was good but didn't hit the amazing level that the other stuff did. The taco Carnitas was good but the salsa rojo was too spicy for most of us at the table. They replaced it with one sin salsa and it was fine, but it still needed some kind of sauce.

Overall, everyone had a great time and the food, staff, and atmosphere were superlative.

Reviewed 10 January 2018

This was my third visit to Babalu's in a year and it didn't disappoint! Once again, service and food delightful. I will return for more tapas next time I am in Knoxville.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

An amazing cold winter afternoon lunch! Excellent table side guacamole, the fresh house chips, were excellent...The Carnitas Tacos,were amazing and the peanut cole slaw was just superb! The Pollo Frito tacos were excellent as well! The Mexican Corn and Black Beans and Rice Sides were another perfect dish or two, to be shared! My second time here and it’s a new experience all over again! Love this place and highly recommend!!! Different and authentic tapas....

1  Thank PaulyPauly2014
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Taking a break from holiday festivities, my husband and I headed to downtown Knoxville on December 28th. Babalu’s Tapas and Tacos seemed appropriate for lunch on a cold winter’s day. We were seated immediately at a cozy, warm table. Drinks were ordered, as we pondered what taste delights we would order. Our drinks arrived in a timely manner, just as we had made up our minds on what we wanted to eat. We decided to share the broccoli/cheese soup, an order of lamb sliders, and an order of tuna tacos. Mmmmm!!!! Every morsel of food lived up to our expectations! We had eaten the lamb sliders in the past, and they did not disappoint this time, either. Service seems to be consistently very good—both friendly and efficient, which is a bonus find in the Knoxville area.

If you haven’t yet tried Babalu’s, I highly recommend it!