“Well down”

Ranked #6 of 203 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

This museum is very well done in representing this beautiful part of Tennessee and its history. We thoroughly enjoyed the quilt exhibit that is currently on display. The museum flows nicely and offers many insights to the people and history of the area.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

This is a MUST-SEE museum.....we were very impressed with the layout, organization, amount of info, videos, artifacts, jam-packed and so interesting. Because there is so much reading to do, I think this might be more geared towards teenagers but I am sure the little ones would still love seeing what is offered. The price for seniors was only $4. There is so much covered here from TN musicians, Cherokees in the region, manufacturing, pharmacies, appliances of the time, a real log cabin, just on and on....absolutely incredible. Great job done by the city!!

Reviewed 10 August 2017

This history center was excellent. So much history and so many artifacts. It was a great stop. My children also liked it. We are not from TN, so this really gave us a good education about East TN.

1  Thank amcmommy
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visit many local history museums and this is one of the best we've seen in the US. Well thought-out, well laid-out, and not too big. The exhibits are very nicely done with dioramas, artifacts, posters, writings, photos, and a very useful chronology, all logically arranged. For folks like us, with very little understanding of the region, we got a nice taste of its history, geography, and rightfully proud people. Everything looked new and well kept. The state's politics during the civil war was complicated, but well-explained, warts and all (at least it seemed so).

We had an hour to see the permanent exhibit and a special exhibit on quilting. Not quite enough time - I could have spent a full hour or more in the permanent exhibit, as there were audios and videos I would have liked to access. The quilting exhibit was enjoyable, but maybe not quite as amazing as some others I've seen (yeah, I've seen others).

For our first visit to Appalachia, we were astounded by its beauty; now we appreciate its rich history, and, hopefully, we have rid ourselves of some erroneous assumptions regarding the region's history.

1  Thank Wenwood
Reviewed 29 July 2017

If you are unfamiliar with the Knoxville area, this is a must stop. You can find out anything you want to see, get info and brochures. The young ladyat the desk ws very friendly and knowledgeable.