“Very Nicely Done: An Enjoyable 1-2 Hours”

East Tennessee History Center
Ranked #6 of 201 things to do in Knoxville
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visit many local history museums and this is one of the best we've seen in the US. Well thought-out, well laid-out, and not too big. The exhibits are very nicely done with dioramas, artifacts, posters, writings, photos, and a very useful chronology, all logically arranged. For folks like us, with very little understanding of the region, we got a nice taste of its history, geography, and rightfully proud people. Everything looked new and well kept. The state's politics during the civil war was complicated, but well-explained, warts and all (at least it seemed so).

We had an hour to see the permanent exhibit and a special exhibit on quilting. Not quite enough time - I could have spent a full hour or more in the permanent exhibit, as there were audios and videos I would have liked to access. The quilting exhibit was enjoyable, but maybe not quite as amazing as some others I've seen (yeah, I've seen others).

For our first visit to Appalachia, we were astounded by its beauty; now we appreciate its rich history, and, hopefully, we have rid ourselves of some erroneous assumptions regarding the region's history.

1  Thank Wenwood
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

If you are unfamiliar with the Knoxville area, this is a must stop. You can find out anything you want to see, get info and brochures. The young ladyat the desk ws very friendly and knowledgeable.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Greeted by an old electric streetcar, a general store, and a dentist office from around 1915! Then the museum had a Cherokee display where I learned the Trail of Tears started here when the Cherokee was getting in the way of the US govt manifest destiny! I also did NOT know that the state of Tennessee was equally divided between the Union and the Confederacy in the Civil War which also divided families

So many displays and history from Tennesee,s early beginnings to almost the present A must see for tourists and history buffs like me!

Reviewed 17 July 2017

We attended a reception at the East Tennessee History Center, offering us the opportunity to walk through the museum. The museum is quite good for a museum of its type and size. Exhibits are well laid out, informative, and interesting. We could easily have spent more time in the museum. The museum staff were courteous, although "closing time" means closing time!
When you are in Knoxville, visit the East Tennessee History Center. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I enjoy learning as much as I can about an area when I am traveling to other states. This is a very nice history center with so much to learn and see. I would recommend it to anyone. I spend half a day in it, but you could see it in less time. I am a history lover, hence, I spent more time than may be required.