See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The lodge was very welcoming and helpful since I arrived after midnight. The room was very clean , the bed was comfortable. The Wifi was easy to connect to. This is a great spot for low budget students looking for nice place to stay to visit Eastern State Tennessee University. The staff was helpful with direction. It is a comfortable place to sleep for a short stay.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ecotanya
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a low budget $50/night motel. It is older with some updating, definitely like the old motor lodges. We'd requested non-smoking, but it obviously was not smoke free. Rather unique colors, pink and red walls. The bed was standard motel mattress. But it was clean. The managers are from India and the gentleman that checked us in said that the continental breakfast was from 7 - 10 AM. At 7 AM his wife, assuming here, opened the door and said no breakfast just coffee and she would get creamer and sugar if we wanted. We opted to go through McDonald's instead.

Room tip: This is two levels with no elevator. I'd opt for a first floor room for ease with luggage and to keep an eye on the vehicle. There is a grocery store right across the street and fast food and gas close by.
Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank mtshroom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

First off, I don't know where to start. Either with the sticky-stained carpet, brown streaky stained tub, the broken toilet with do-do stained feces, the towels and sheets which appeared to be stained with years of bodily fluids, the dark gloomy room which was probably used to disguise all of the filthiness or them just being cheap [--], and etc. Also, it is important to mention how our 3 old daughter could not sleep a wink because she was so terrified that one of the monsters on the ceiling was going to get her. This is when we noticed the bug problem. The owners are all eastern indians and speak very poor english. They are extremely rude and have horrible business etiquette. For instance, the night before we left we were loading the car up and all of sudden heard a big BANG right beside us and looked up and saw the cleaning lady throwing open loose trash that nearly hit us as we were walking to the car. We made eye contact with her expecting an apology but instead we were greeted with a smirk. IT MAKES ME SICK AND DISGUISTED THAT I NOT ONLY LET MYSELF STAY HERE BUT MY FAMILY AS WELL. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I DID.

Date of stay: October 2013
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My son and I went to the Bristol Nascar race in Bristol, TN. We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, the night before the race and the night of the race. We arrived at 11:30 PM Sat night. They said they had to rebook because I arrived so late. Although they called my wife at home around 11:00 pm to see if I was still coming. I called them back and said what time I would be there. So I don't understand why they cancelled my reservation. So I was told that I would have to pay each night separate. I said ok. They charged my room for the first night. We get up go to the race come back and we are not in are room five minutes I get a call from the front desk that I need to come pay for the second night. ok. We leave Monday morning ~ check out ~ nothing else said. I get home check my checking account a few days later, they are 3 different charges from the Volunteer Lodge. 2 charges and then the third charge which is the total of the 2 other charges combined. So I called the hotel, the person on the desk said she would give the manager the message that I was double charged. Never heard from him. In the meantime I contacted my bank to reverse the third charge and after 2 weeks received notice back that the charge would not go in my favor. The hotel had sent their reply that I paid for my friends room also, who is a man from Florida and I live in Pennsylvania. When I called the hotel again finally getting to talk to the manager (after 10 calls) he said very nastily that he did not charge my card 3 times and started using language no where near appropriate for this site. I told him I was holding the 3 charges in my hand from the bank ~ he kept insisting he didn't charge my 3 times. He was so rude would not let me explain a full sentence without cutting me off and calling me explitives. I will NEVER stay here again, I will NEVER recommend this hotel. I will post again when my lawyer straightens everything out.

Room tip: Do NOT stay here!! location was the only good thing about this hotel.
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sam D
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Nastiest room ever.not cleaned or painted in years.he carpet is sticky to touch.no place to hang clothes.holes,stains and mold covered walls.mirrors and windows all smeared and not wiped.bedding and towels badly stained.bad smell in there. no bath tissue in room. police patrol all around.owner not nice and ripped me off when i said i was not going to stay the second day.warned everyone i know who goes to bristol or johnson city to steer clear of this horrid place.wish i'd slept in the truck at wal-mart instead.

Date of stay: February 2013