“Surprisingly good!”

Captain's Galley Seafood
Ranked #7 of 48 Restaurants in Dandridge
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: We have been serving the area for 18 years. Our business was built on serving quality seafood that is hand breaded and seasoned and served fresh to you...our valued customer. Most of our items are homemade or made from scratch including our hush puppies, onion rings, sauces, dressings, and slaw. We have a large area that can accommodate large parties. We serve seafood, steaks, chicken, pasta, sandwiches, and salads.
Reviewed 15 October 2018

I’m not sure, perhaps because the restaurant has been around a long time but I was pleasantly surprised recently when we had an early supper here. I choose the simple fish and chips and my husband had the fried seafood sampler. He continually praised the flavor richness of each sample and I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of “fishy taste” of my grouper. The meals were so hearty, that we decided to take dessert home with us. The restaurant itself was clean and well-lit and our server was always prompt and friendly. We will be back.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 2 October 2018

We went in at about 7:30 on Saturday night. We were seated immediately. The menu was what you would expect for a seafood restaurant in the East Tennessee hills, but completely adequate. I am not sure, but I don't think that they serve alcoholic beverages. I ordered the Boom Boom Shrimp for an appetizer. It was a huge portion and tasty. Fried shrimp tossed with a sweet and spicy sauce. I had one of the fried combos as my meal. It came with coleslaw and I had the fried zucchini as my second side. Oh yes, I cant forget the crispy golden hush puppies that were brought out when our drinks were served. I enjoyed the Alaskan White Fish, fried oysters, and quite large fried shrimp. I was surprised that the deviled crab tasted and appeared to be made fresh in house. I was a fan of the tarter sauce, made with sweet pickles and nicely seasoned. We left with two take-away boxes, so the portions were large. The service was good and the interior of the restaurant was clean and well lighted. Overall, it was a great experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

We ate here last night as we were just out driving. I searched TripAdvisor for restaurants near me and this gem popped up. Best. Seafood. Short. Of. Being. At. The. Beach!! It was really delicious. I had popcorn shrimp, stuffed crab and clams. My friend had the ultimate broiled platter with fish, shrimp and oysters. We were served endless delicious hush puppies while we waited for our food. Our server, Alex, was very attentive and friendly. It was a great find and we will definitely be back!!

Reviewed 25 August 2018

My wife and I stopped here on a cross country trip. We had eaten here once before a few years ago but couldn't remember what it was like. We let them have a second chance for a first impression.

First problem,,,,NO ALCOHOL. Second problem was the staff. They were not particularly busy so we were shown to seats before we could look at the specials board. The specials were not included in the menu given, Here is where the wait staff failed. They had no idea what the specials were.

For beverages, my wife ordered peach ice tea, apparently a house specialty as you could take out by the gallon. The tea itself was quite peachy and sickeningly sweet. We were given a basket of hush puppies to much on which were nice and crunchy and not at all greasy,

For dinner I had a combo of deviled crab and stuffed clam. I got one of each. The only difference I could surmise between two was one was crab and the other was clam. Both had the same cracker and too much green pepper base and not enough meat. I honestly could not find anything I could identify as a piece of crab meat. My wife on the other hand ordered shrimp scampi over linguini that was done well and she reports was very tasty.

All in all, given the other choices nearby, we'll skip this place next trip.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Don't get seafood so far from shore. I got the Ultimate Broiled Feast and while the food wasn't terrible, it wasn't good either. The oysters were gritty, really chewy, and a bit bitter. The shrimp and crab tasted a bit sour. What's worse is that it made me sick. I was on the verge of hurling directly after. We ate around 12 or so and it's 8:30 by the time I'm writing this and I've had to use the restroom at least 7 times since. Not the best way to return from vacation. The rest of my family seemed okay but they didn't particularly enjoy the meal either. Servers and atmosphere were nice and the hush puppies were tasty but that's the only redeeming qualities.
Total Score: 2/10