New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Americas Best Value Inn of Cookeville

Americas Best Value Inn of Cookeville
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Cookeville
Nashville, Indiana
“Disgusting, cock roaches in the drawer in the room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2006

We use to stay at this hotel often when we would travel to Tennessee to see my grandparents. My parents had gotten one of those travel coupon books from a rest stop and this hotel was the best deal. It was a weekend so the hotel was pretty busy. We got an upper floor room. We got into the hotel room and it was musty, hadn't been used in a while smell. My mom went into the bathroom and was grossed out by the shower. So much that she went to the walmart down the street and bought cleaning supplies to clean the shower herself...she didn't mind since the price of the room was so low. We left all of our stuff in the room and went to walmart...came back...she cleaned the shower while the rest of us were deciding what we wanted for dinner that night. I pulled the drawer open to the night stand that was between the beds and there I saw two bugs staring back at me. I hate bugs and asked my mom what kind they were and her face just told me it wasn't good. We got our stuff together and left the room. This is where it got worse. My parents went in to get their money back because we weren't going to stay there and then the management first accused us of bringing the bugs in with us and then they accused us of finding a cheaper hotel down the road. My father got mad because they were accusing him of things and they then threatened to call the police on him. They finally got their money back and we went down the road to the Alpine Lodge...for 10 dollars more it was extremely worth the money. We will never stay in a Best Value Inn again.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — the cock roaches and very unprofessional management
  • Tips/Secrets — unless you are passing through and in dire need of sleep don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2005, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank onlyonethetor
Greg G, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn of Cookeville, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
We here at Americas Best Value Inn of Cookeville, TN do sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered when staying at our motel. We would have gladly have upgraded you and your family to a better room at no additional cost. We also apologize for your encounter with the staff during 2005. That individual is no longer with the company and we have taken steps to ensure that our current staff are always courteous and respectful.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2005

On our way home to Ft. SMith, AR from vacationing in VA, DC, NJ, NY we needed to get some rest. We decided on the the Best Value Inn only after driving through...it appeared to be nice and thrifty. We always have to experience how looks can be deceiving, don't we?! I am always concerned about safety first because it is just me and my 10 year old son traveling, I asked if it was safe and if there was security. The night desk lady said she is going to put us in a room right next to the desk, so she can keep an eye on us. This "safe" room had bad words spray-painted on the walls and spray paint on the furniture and TV. The wall paper was hanging down over the headboard. The bathroom was dirty, never been clean dirty! My son was a little nervous at this point, he was even to afraid for me to ask to be moved. But I had to! The front desk lady said she just did not know how housekeeping missed that, apologized and moved us. Yep, to another dirty, nasty room! The carpet was so dirty with huge black spots or stains. We did not dare to remove are shoes. The bathroom was just as dirty as before. Just to be certain the tub was dirty and not stained, I wiped it with an anti-bacterial wipe! YUCK! Black grime came off! I do not even know how a shower curtain can get as dirty as that one. Black grime every where! By the sink, on the soap holder was dirt, grime, and hairs! It was already 2am, we where tired and stayed until 8am. After writing a letter of complaint and leaving that for housekeeping instead of a tip, I went to check-out. This hotel appearantly is ran by a family, housekeeping and the daytime desk lady where similiar. I told her how nasty the rooms where, she wouldn't even look at me, nor did she apologize! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
manaharpatel, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn of Cookeville, responded to this review, 8 July 2009
The rooms have been significantly rennovated and remodeled since 2006.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2005

I usually associate "Best Value" with "Worst Rooms" but this hotel was pretty clean for the price. I took a baseball team there on a recent travel trip and was suprised that it wasn't a total dump. The pool was not open yet (my players were ready to swim) and looked liked something from a witches stew. We didn't have any problems though I would stay there again next year. There were by far the lowest priced hotel in Cookeville. I wouldn't recommend it for a family that is going to hang out at the hotel but for someone who just needs a place to sleep on a budget it will work.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business