“Nice dinner with friends”

Mauricio's Italian Restaurant
Get food delivered
Ranked #4 of 177 Restaurants in Cookeville
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurant, formerly a residence, was built in 1910. It features hardwood floors, 12' ft ceilings, and 5 fine dining rooms, three with fireplaces. We have a full selection of spirits and over 20 selections of wine. We also have a patio that seats 25 guests. We host weddings, rehearsal dinners, showers and parties. When you dine with us, we want you to have a dining experience rather than the typical restaurant that tries to turn tables as quickly as possible. We serve each course separately allowing you to relax, take in the ambiance, enjoy a glass of wine and savor every bite of Italian cuisine. When you leave our restaurant, we want you to remember what it's like to slow down, enjoy one another's company and realize how nice and relaxing dining can be. If you have other plans after dining with us, inform your server upon arrival and we can speed up your service. Dress is casual and reservations are recommended during the week and especially on the weekends.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Class operation. Food was great. Good value. Nice atmosphere. Good selection of food and drinks, my wife and friend Julie loved the Cosmos drink.

Date of visit: March 2021
Jeffery C, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you Jeff for your rating and comments. We appreciate you dining with us and look forward to your next visit. Jeff and Tonya / Owners

Write a reviewReviews (263)

Reviewed 17 January 2021 via mobile

Mauricio's was the perfect place for us to celebrate our 6 year wedding anniversary! We ordered the calamari & lobster ravioli for our entrees. The calamari was really light and fresh, and the ravioli was AMAZING! We will definitely be back. Thanks Mauricio's!

Date of visit: January 2021

Thank you Mindy for your review and all your comments. You are very welcome and we look forward to your next visit. Jeff and Tonya / Owners

Reviewed 4 October 2020

We moved here a couple of years ago from Rhode Island, which has many fabulous independent restaurants of all types, but especially Italian. We've missed the great restaurants, but otherwise are very happy here in Tennessee! So, I scoured the internet looking for a good Italian restaurant for my birthday dinner and decided on Mauricio's. What a find! We had a wonderful, leisurely dinner and a great experience. We got a nice bottle of cabernet and started our meal with the calamari. So good! Husband got his favorite - veal parmesan - while I got MY favorite - eggplant parmesan. Both were excellent, although I'd rather a different pasta than angel hair - there's no way for angel hair to be cooked al dente. Salad was great and we split a piece of New York cheesecake for dessert. Super yummy! So happy to have found this wonderful restaurant!

Date of visit: September 2020
jeffandtonya, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2020

Thank you Dixie for giving us a try on your special occasion. We appreciate your review and look forward to your next visit. Just remember, you can switch to any pasta you would like with that dish... Just let your server know when ordering. Jeff and Tonya / Owners

Reviewed 23 September 2020

We were there every week for date night. Janice was always our server and she was fabulous. Monty and Michael, the previous owners prided themselves on quality food and drinks and since I am gluten intolerant always accommodated me.
We thought we would try for a second time. The first time the new owner was cold and never checked on us. Her husband did come and speak to us and we talked for a bit. The second and last visit we will ever make was absolutely horrible. We had reservations. The table was not ready and we had to wait. The young lady was rude and service was atrocious. Janice always brought the bread out first thing. She brought the bread out after the so called lobster bisque after I had to ask about it. I never could imagine anyone emasculating lobster bisque. I can cook this soup. It had no flavor, no sherry and actually was a really thick, pasty flour mix. There aren’t many good restaurants in Cookeville so if we want to have a nice meal, we go to Nashville or Chattanooga now.

This place is a darling, romantic setting which is why we wanted to like this place again. but that’s it.

We won’t be back. Having bad food was one thing but there was no reason for bad service and her rude behavior. September 2020

Date of visit: September 2020
jeffandtonya, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2020

I am sorry for your experience and I have tried to contact you to get more information with no reply. It has been since 2014 since Mike and Monty has owned the restaurant and we have made a lot of changes. We have owned it over 6 years. We have continued to improve our service as well as the food since taking ownership and with all our reviews, we feel that we have. We have never had a complaint with the lobster bisque before and there is a possibility that something happened with this batch. We do make it from scratch with real lobster unlike the previous owners. I always want to know if something is wrong so I can fix it immediately. In addition, I had asked you about the server whom you said was rude. We provide great customer service and I will not tolerate any rudeness from our servers. Again, I have asked you for more information to explain who and what they had done so I can take appropriate actions with no reply. I appreciate you dining with us and I apologize for your experience. I can promise you that is NOT the norm. You can check our reviews and see that we rarely have any problems with our guests and if we do, I try my hardest to correct it and also try to take care of my customers. Again, I ask you to contact me in which I have given you my telephone number to include a way to reply to my request with no avail. I still would love to talk to you so I can try and resolve this situation with my servers and food. Jeff / Owner

Reviewed 12 September 2020 via mobile

We always love visiting Mauricio’s! The ambience of the 1910 era home is absolutely wonderful while enjoying the delicious meal made to order by the staff of Mauricio’s. Last night we dined on the chicken parmesan (my absolute favorite) and my fiancée enjoyed the filet- which he said was the best he has had in Cookeville, hands down. All meals are always served piping hot, and are just the best. The wait staff is very attentive and you never feel rushed while dining there. The owner stopped by our table while there to check on us, and she was a delight! Very professional crew. If you haven’t tried Mauricio’s you definitely need to! Do not miss this hidden gem in Cookeville!

Date of visit: September 2020
jeffandtonya, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2020

Thank you Julie for your rating and comments. We appreciate you dining with us and are happy you enjoyed yourself. We look forward to your next visit. Jeff and Tonya / Owners