“Good food and atmosphere”

Mauricio's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 175 Restaurants in Cookeville
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurant, formerly a residence, was built in 1910. It features hardwood floors, 14' ft ceilings, and 5 fine dining rooms, three with fireplaces. If you like good Italian food, old music from the 40's and 50's, and great atmosphere, come see us. Dress is casual and reservations are recommended on the weekends.
Reviewed 16 August 2017

We went for dinner and my husband is super fussy. The menu had a nice selection. The servers were friendly and helpful. I had the alfredo that was good but I wished was more cheesy. Hubby had the lasagna and it was very good. The portions were great and the deserts were also very good. I would definitely go again.

Jeffery C, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

We appreciate your rating and review. Thank you for dining with us and we look forward to your next visit. Jeff and Tonya / Owners

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

It's a shame that such a nice romantic and cozy place with great servers can not match the taste in the food. We used to enjoy the meals. Tonight none of us were satisfied with our meal. The chicken dishes did not have any taste. The lemon butter pasta was dry and with no taste. The calamari was so hot and spicy I felt I was in a Mexican restaurant. It really is a shame that now you can have a better Italian dish in Olive Garden where everything is frozen and microwave then in this restaurant where the food used to be superb.

Jeffery C, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I apologize that you did not like the entrees you ordered. It is very rare that we have complaints with the food in the last year especially since we have worked on almost every dish to make it better. As you can see from most all the reviews, most people feel that it has improved greatly. We have went away from all the frozen premade foods and make most everything in house now. During our first year as owners, we listen to the guest and corrected most all of them to include adding some more/different entrees. Although we understand that we can not make it perfect for every individual, we strive to try. With the calamari, only the dipping sauce has some spice in it but if you thought it was too hot, we could have gave you some without the spice. If you had mentioned that to the server, I am sorry that they did not get you some more sauce without the spice. That should have taken only a minute to get. With the other food, I am not sure what you ordered, but I would be happy to talk to you more specifically on the dishes and try to figure out exactly what you didn't like about them so I am able to fix it also. You can contact me privately through the web site, mauricioscookeville.com and go to the contact page. Maybe through conversation, I can make it better and you might give us another try. Jeff/Owner

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Five of us celebrated a birthday there Saturday night - we had heard about Mauricio's for years, but most of us had never been. The restaurant changed owners a few years ago. It is best to make reservations, as the eatery is in a beautiful home and thus fills up quickly at peak times.
Our server was fast, responsive, and answered our questions. Drinks were above-average in quality, the bread and olive oil dip was outstanding, and our various entrees were all tasty. The menu had a good selection of pasta, chicken, steak, and seafood dishes, served with salads (you can order a Caesar salad instead of the communal salad bowl).
We had a small issue with the added gratuity for parties of five or more - none of us remembered seeing that on the menu (doesn't mean it wasn't there), our server did not mention it at seating, ordering, or when delivering our two checks, and it was not highlighted on the bill (apparently that's the usual practice). We were about to add a tip on a $100+ bill for three when one member of our group noticed it had already been added.
Apparently, management is about to change menus and will go to an added gratuity for parties of 6 or more, and this will be prominently displayed.
We certainly did not mind tipping 18%, because our service was excellent. The lack of communication caused some awkardness. Later, when I contacted the management, Jeff (the owner) was really responsive to our concerns about the gratuity information not being communicated in a timely/appropriate manner. We had a very nice e-mail conversation about the situation, and that's where I learned about the upcoming new policy/menu.
I am impressed by three things in this situation: the overall quality of this restaurant, the fact that the owner was so responsive to our concerns, and also that they are increasing their automatic gratuity policy from parties of 5 to 6. Frankly, and this is just my opinion, but automatically adding a tip for a party of 5 seems like a bit of a hustle. In my experience, most restaurants do this at numbers of 6, 8, or higher.
So good for Mauricio's - they already have great food, a wonderful setting, solid service, and years of community goodwill - that's all the hustle they need.

Jeffery C, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Thank you for dining with us and also contacting me with all your questions and concerns. My wife and I love seeing great comments but we also like to know when something is wrong or if something you didn't like whether it is with the food or service. The only way we can fix it is if we know. I really appreciate you contacting me through my website, private conversation, first so that we could give you an explanation to allow you then to make comments on line with ALL the information. My wife and I have worked hard to bring Mauricio's to a level that everyone can enjoy over the past 2 1/2 years and we can see the positive results through the amount of people who is now returning because they didn't like it before and decided to give us as new owners a chance. We have owned it now for over 2 years and are really happy with all the customer reviews. I read every review that I know of and that is the reason we are coming out with a better menu. We have changed our dishes so that 99 percent of people love them. Of course, we have some that do not enjoy a dish here and there but when 99 percent love it, I just can't change it for the one. But remember, if you already know the dish needs to be more spicy or less spicy, just let us know upon ordering. We sautéed or prepare almost every dish to order. We can adjust to your taste. I appreciate you taking the time and writing a review and we look forward to your next visit....Jeff and Tonya

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We saw this restaurant on Tennessee Crossroads and decided to make the trip from Nashville. It was worth it! Nice easy Saturday afternoon drive for some delicious food! The lasagna and chicken Mauricio were both great. Our friends got filets and loved them. We'll go back!

Jeffery C, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

Thank you so much for your comments and rating. Also, thanks for driving from Nashville to dine with us. We are happy that you enjoyed yourself and loved all we had to offer and we are excited that you will visit us again...Jeff and Tonya / Owners

Reviewed 7 July 2017

We have known about this restaurant for 2 years. We met the owner shortly after we moved to this area at her Whistle Stop restaurant in Baxter TN ( best pizza ever). She told us about Mauricio's. The food was delicious, the setting was perfect and the service was outstanding. Great for a romantic dinner or just any dinner. It is in an old home and the dining is in about 4 different rooms. This made you feel special. We plan to go back for a lunch one day. The lobster bisque caught my eye. A nearby dinner kept commenting how delicious it was. Go you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank midiman1942
Jeffery C, Owner at Mauricio's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Thank you so much for your rating and comments. Tonya and I really appreciate all of them and are glad that you decided to give us a try. We look forward to your next visit. Jeff and Tonya / Owners