“Very surprised at postive reviews”
Review of La Altena

La Altena
Ranked #121 of 873 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 24 October 2017

Based on the positive reviews we ate here while passing through after mountain biking. This place was not taken care of. See picture of restroom. The bean burrito was like a fast food restaurant and our daughter cheese Quesadilla was very rubber like. My husband said his chicken burrito was good but he eats anything. Very disappointed. We love eating at small authentic Mexican restaurants. This was a bad experience. If I had seen the inside of the restaurant (ate outside) or restroom before we ate we would have left.

1  Thank L S

Reviewed 19 September 2017

On a recent visit to Chattanooga, my old home town, I visited a friend who took me to La Altena. So glad he did. This small, out of the way, family-owned restaurant was a delightful surprise in Chattanooga. The menu has authentic Mexican food and is served by family members and their friends. The food was delicious.

First I ordered a special made margarita as I do not like them too sweet. It was prepared perfectly and was so good I had a second one. We shared a cheese dip and the chips were fresh and terrific.

We also shared a main course. it was the slow cooked pork marinated and cooked over low heat with beer and Dr. Pepper. Man, was it good. The rice and beans were a nice complement to the tasty meal. By the way, the meal was modestly priced unlike some of the more touristy restaurants closer to the river.

If you are in Chattanooga and want a taste of real Mexican food served by lovely people, try this place. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank atljpb
Reviewed 17 July 2017

This little restaurant had the best Mexican food I've had East of Arizona. We had excellent, friendly service. Every meal we ordered for our family was delicious!. Great drinks too, especially Horchata and Margarita! We would visit this restaurant again if ever in the area. It was recommended by my son, and he was certainly right!

1  Thank DLB1832
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Stopped in for lunch early on Saturday morning. We had the restaurant all to ourselves. Our server was polite and friendly. My husband had the tacos while I enjoyed the eggs with chorizo. The food was served very quickly. We were in and out in less than 30 minutes. Very reasonable prices.

1  Thank paigesmd61
Reviewed 10 March 2017

Authentic Mexican cuisine and fast service. Always seated very quickly and you get great food at a great price.