“Not what I was expecting...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #444 of 815 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Many years ago, in the state of Jalisco in Mexico, the land was dotted with farms growing the blue agave plant-the plant crucial for making tequila. There were inns scattered among the farms, inns that had stables, restaurants, bars, and were a place where the workers from the farms would come together, a place where they could be comfortable together. That comfort-that togetherness-was exactly what the Ruiz's were aiming for when they opened El Meson Restaurante Mexicano over twenty years ago at Hamilton Place. In early 2009, a second El Meson Restaurante Mexicano opened in Hixson. The new restaurant is at 248 Northgate Mall Dr., Suite 114 in the Northgate Mall area and seats approximately 250 people. It too, hearkens back to the comfortable atmosphere and family cooking that have made the original such a favorite.
Resaca, GA
“Not what I was expecting...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

I was excited to learn El Meson had opened a restaurant in Hixson. My husband and I recently had dinner there, and I wished we had gone somewhere else.

The food wasn't bad-just a poor average. I love Mexican food, and have eaten at Mexican restaurants from Texas to California, and this was mediocre.

The server was unconcerned. and not well trained.

If you want good Mexican food you might want to visit La Altena or El Monterrey. If your exposure to Mexican food has been limited to Taco Bell you might enjoy El Meson.

3 Thank SGApeach
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Springboro, Ohio
“Very Good "Typical" Mexican Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

This is a very good Mexican restaurant, but do not expect much different than your typical Mexican restaurant.

We walked on on the night after Thanksgiving (a very busy night) and our party of 12 was seated within 5 minutes. Our server was very attentive, and took our drink orders immediately.

I ordered the Fajitas (chicken, shrimp and Mex sausage). Very good, and more than enough to bring home for dinner the next night. All members of our party enjoyed their food, except for my father, who ordered A HAMBURGER. Don't order the hamburger, but that really ought to go without saying.

Overall, a nice experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The restaurant was so clean, it smelled more like cleaner than food - but we got there at opening for lunch - so I'm...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

The restaurant was so clean, it smelled more like cleaner than food - but we got there at opening for lunch - so I'm sure as the day went on, the clean smell gave way to the aroma of the food. the food was excellent! Great chips and salsa - could not get enough. So much so that I was given (free) an order for take home. THANK YOU!!! My husband and I enjoyed our entrees, and had too much food, so we took most of it home. We used a kids first coupon and ate (twice) for under $15. The service was attentive and friendly.
I have heard good and bad stories over the years, but I enjoyed my first visit very much.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This place has it's ups...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

This place has it's ups and downs... right now it is up!!! Delicious and big servings!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Clermont, Florida
“Not sure what I think...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2007

The food was pretty average. It seemed a very family friendly place and the prices weren't too bad. Odd things, they give the children one crayon each to color the children's menu, which doesn't really keep the children occupied, especially as my children seem to lose their crayons pretty easily under the table. Also, there was odd musical entertainment. It was a man, playing the guitar and singing 70's music, like the Eagles, Wings, Steve Miller type songs, and every single song sounded exactly the same. He was in the main entrance, where very few tables are, just facing the door and singing with a tip jar in front of him. I felt kind of sorry for him--it reminded me of the rejects they show from American Idol that are more bizarre and sad then talented. Our server was nice enough, but she didn't automatically fill up our water or soda glasses, we had to ask her whenever they ran low. the salsa with the chips was runny, and the chips were kind of rubbery. It wasn't horrible, but I doubt we'd return since there are so many other options in the neighborhood.

5 Thank georgiagrl