All reviews mexican restaurant all you can eat dog park excellent amenities gift store rv sites laundry room nice campground rv trip clean restrooms camp store level sites crazy horse tent camping full hookups stayed two nights convenient location
Reviewed 24 October 2017

The Spearfish KOA RV slots are more spacious than almost any other RV campground we've visited which is important to us towing a big 5th wheel trailer. The shower, restroom, and laundry building is new and well maintained. The office, lawn, and roadways are well maintained. We were pleased to see the owners out doing cleaning and maintenance each day. There is a pathway from this KOA to a city park area along Spearfish Creek where there is some fun trout fishing. This is the sort of RV park we would recommend to friends.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Unbelievable! ....for the first time in over 50 years of camping I was told we would be unable to camp there because of the breed of my two dogs. The woman actually had the audacity to come out to my vehicle to "eyeball" my dogs. If you love animals....stay away. This was a flagrant act of breed discrimination. What made it even worse...if that's possible...is that she had no idea what she was doing. The ending was happy though because we never would have known about the Spearfish City Campground just a couple of miles away that was, without a doubt, one of the loveliest campgrounds that I have ever been at. They had paved trails through woods and campground, clean modern showers, deer wandering through the park and playing on the green through the night, bubbling streams throughout, friendly staff and it's all part of the larger park...all for $20. Skip the KOA and go right to the Spearfish City Campground!

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank hikenow68
SpearfishKOA, Owner at Spearfish KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

We are very sorry we could not accommodate your stay with us. We unfortunately do not allow Pit Bulls or mixes on our campground. When we asked you the breed, you were unclear so we came out to your vehicle to take a look and determined that they were in fact pit bull mixes. We apologized for the inconvenience that was caused to you by our enforcement of our policy. We love dogs and have a lovely fenced dog park and direct access to the city rec path and creek. We're glad you had a nice stay while visiting our beautiful Black Hills!

Reviewed 26 September 2017

This is the BEST KOA we have ever stayed at. There was not one aspect of this CG that I was not pleased with. It was an easy on-off to US-85 and very close to I-90. To the sites were grassy and graveled and we had a lovely big tree to shade our picnic table. The bathrooms were brand-new with well heated sink-toilet facilities and uni-sex showers that were spacious. The owners were delightful. Since we were there in mid September we missed out on the all-you-can-eat-for-$3 ice cream social every night but we took advantage of the 25% off everything in the gift store. Spearfish itself is a delightful town if you want to stay a few days for recreation. In fact there is a walking path adjacent to the CG that meanders along scenic Spearfish Creek. And what a surprise the price was - we were used to paying $40 to $55 a night for a KOA but this CG was less than $30 before tax.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017

After a really bad experience in Seattle, we swore never to stay at another KOA. But a trusted friend praised this particular KOA camp . . . and we are so very glad we gave it a try. Big RV sites, great location, and excellent amenities. Hooking up was easy. We saw RVs of ALL sizes . . . no kidding. We didn't use the pool, but enjoyed seeing others have fun. The laundry room was almost spotless. The owners (new for the last 3 years) are on site and working hard to make this place a success. For us, the best part was the direct access to a fantastic public space with a beautiful creek. Although it's not an official dog park, it apparently has become the off-leash place for dogs in Spearfish. I met lovely people, saw brook trout and beautiful birds, and my dog had an adventure every day. Hope to return. So many things to do in Spearfish . . . we barely scratched the surface.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

We usually stay at Elkhorn Ridge when we visit Spearfish. When I called to reserve a spot I was told that the were full due to a car show in Deadwood. Called this KOA and we easily got a spot. The campground is very nice. Excellent bathrooms, nice site with good hook ups. I did go to the ice cream social one night. All you can eat for three dollars. I would have gone more often if it was earlier in the day. It is more reasonable than other camps and well worth the money. We will stay here next visit.

Date of stay: August 2017