“Minor problems really add up”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sioux Falls
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Storm Lake, Iowa
“Minor problems really add up”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I always hate when a review has only positive or negative comments so I am going to try to include both in this review.

Positives:
-Breakfast. This was probably the best complimentary breakfast that I have had at a hotel. We enjoyed it two mornings and along with the make your own waffles, oatmeal, and cereal there was also eggs and sausage one morning and French toast and bacon the next. I do have to say that I was a little disappointed with the staff that worked the kitchen since I thought one of them was very rude to an 8 year old that told her the basket you put your dirty dishes in was full. She responded "Well do you want to see my kitchen that is full too." I didn't feel that this amount of sarcasm was necessary to a little boy who was only trying to be helpful.

-I did like the location. It was close to downtown and right next to the river and walking trails. I will say though that the view of the river was lackluster and not worth paying extra for.

-The woman who checked us in was very nice, but she was the only one of the front desk staff that would say that about.

-Our room was clean and the maids left quite a few bottles of shampoo and conditioner which was nice instead of trying to make one tiny bottle last all weekend.

Negatives:
-The conference room - The River Front Room- we rented for the weekend (to have a room for all of our group to gather) was very small. We had 49 people in there one night and barely fit, and if some of them hadn't have been standing there wouldn't have been enough places for all of us to sit. I think that they exaggerated the size of this room when we reserved it since they told us it was used for wedding receptions. If it is, it is a very small wedding with no dancing. Like I said 50 people could not comfortably fit in this room.
Because we had so many people there was also quite a bit of trash since we had pizza one night. We did try to keep everything picked up by stacking up the pizza boxes and clearing off the tables and putting plates and cans into the trash, but in the morning we were told that they would appreciate us cleaning up after ourselves. Um, no, that's why we are paying you to use this room. I don't know if they expected us to vacuum it or what else they wanted us to do, but then what am I paying you for? A too small room, with a bad view and a ceiling that drips.
Because on the second night of use in this room we also had water leaking from the ceiling, not sure where it came from, but it was dripping.

-The water in the shower would not stay a constant temperature. It started off very cold, even though I had the hot turned all the way on, so I braced myself for a quick cold shower. After a few minutes it did warm up, but then a minute or so later became cold again. This happened throughout my shower from cold to warm (I would say it never came close to hot).

-The toilet clogged easily. I understand that this happens but a person should be able to use the bathroom in their hotel room without worrying about it clogging up and having to call the front desk after every time for them to come fix it. And after talking to some friends who were there with us they had this same problem and finally had them leave a plunger in the room. I know plungers are ugly, but if you are going to have small toilets, just put the plunger in there, it will save the staff time and the customer embarrassment.

-I was also disappointed in the customer service. At times it was great, like when we checked in, but then everyone else seemed rude and that our requests were taking them away from more important matters. And I feel that if a lot of these little things could be addressed (the toilet, the water temp...ect.) that there would not have been so many requests and the staff would not have felt so overextended/overworked.

-The pool. Where to start? The room was falling apart. Paint peeling, tile missing and falling off the walls and no ventilation. I was in there watching my daughter swim and could barely breathe. When I got back up to my room an hour later, my eyes were so red from the chlorine that I looked like I had been swimming. The only way I could stand being in there was to sit next to an open window so I would get some fresh air. I know that any indoor pool is going to be hot and smell like chlorine, but this was overpowering. The state of the paint and tile just shows how badly ventilated the room really is.

Overall I wasn't impressed with our stay and we won't be going there again. I understand that there were a lot of people (since our group alone had 50) staying in the hotel this weekend, but the staff knows ahead how full it will be. Maybe extra staff should have been brought in if this is more than they are used to (the kitchen didn't seem to be prepared if the worker was complaining to an 8 year old), or a lot of these trivial things could be addressed so there isn't a need to contact the front desk as much.

I also just want to give a warning to anyone planning on blocking rooms for a large group like we did. They seemed more than happy to have us stay there, but then made us feel very unwelcome. They assumed that we were 'the leader' of the group and then told us that we would be held responsible for anything that happened instead of holding each room accountable like normal. There were 15 rooms blocked for our group, I don't understand how they can make one room responsible for 15 when everyone reserved their own room. They even slid a copy of their code of conduct under each person’s door who had a room under our reserved/blocked rooms.

So if you are an individual person or family this might not be a bad place to stay, but as a group especially with children, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sara T
Shelby K, Owner at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sioux Falls, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for your detailed review regarding our property. With a new General Manager in place we are certain that the sort of problems you experienced won't happen again. We have gone over your comments in detail and are certain we have addressed all issues. Regarding the pool room, the dehumidifying system had gone out, our new system along with a complete renovation will be complete by the end of May. The guest rooms have all been completely redone as well. We hope that should you come back to Sioux Falls you will give us the opportunity to correct our wrongs and give us another try.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
rockies
Reviewed 21 January 2012

As a Club Carlson member who frequently travels throughout the midwest and to Sioux Falls 6-7 times a year, I thought I had found a great place to stay while in Sioux Falls and a nice alternative to the pricier Holiday Inn nearby. I was sadly mistaken.

On a recent stay, my family and I were exhausted and needing some sleep before embarking on a 14 hour drive the next day. Unfortunately, there was a youth basketball team staying in the hotel and their parents/coaches/chaperones let them run wild in the hotel until all hours of the night for two nights in a row. I understand that kids like to have fun, but they also need to be considerate of others especially late at night. The "adults" with them were drinking and didn't care, laughing off the complaints of several people. Numerous guests, including us, complained to the front desk. One guest switched rooms (downgraded from the suite he reserved) but still got no relief from the noise. Another guest left altogether. Police were called at least three times but the antics resumed as soon as they left.

We were told by the gal at the front desk that there was nothing she could do because "they are paying guests, too". She should have asked them to leave and the hotel should give their staff the authority to do so in situations like this. We have been in contact with the corporate office seeking a refund and were told they "would take care of this right away". We were promised a call back that afternoon, but it has been 6 days.

Don't stay here if you need sleep or if you want good customer service. There are plenty of other hotel chains that offer the same amenities in the same price range.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank travlercrew7
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I deeply apologize for the experience you had at the hotel. It is always challenging when there are groups with children in the hotel as we try hard to make sure the group members are happy as well as the rest of the guests. It does not sound as if this balance was reached during your stay. We have a new general manger at the hotel now, our customer service scores are very high and am sure that what you experienced won't happen again. Please come and give us another try. We have taken your comments to heart and have improved our service based on them. Thank you again
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I enjoyed this hotel and really enjoy the ever improving downtown area of Sioux Falls. Great breakfast, adequate exercise room and the beds were comfortable. Even though I didn't take one they even give out free passes to the local YMCA if you want one which is a nice amenity.
I would definitely go back to this property again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
So glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for taking your time to let us know!
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I stayed at this Country Inn and Suites and the front desk girl who checked me in was very sweet and accommodating. I am typically not a very need guest, but on this trip, I had forgotten everything. To top it off I had my wallet stolen. The bar/grill attached to the hotel allowed me to charge to my room. It made the night a bit better. Behind the hotel and restaurant is a nice patio overlooking water! I would definitely stay here again. Love the down comforters.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Glad we were able to help you have a good experience especially after having your wallet stolen. Also happy to hear it was good for you to be able to charge your meal to the room. We appreciate you letting us know. Thank you
Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Highly recommmend this hotel. Great location right on the river; only 2 blocks north of a vibrant downtown scene, and 4 blocks south of a wonderful park surrounding the famous 'Falls'. Everything about this hotel was a pleasant surprise. We had a 'suite' room with a livingroom and separate bedroom. Very nice for a 4 day stay. Internet worked well in the room (good enough to surf and stream a radio station at the same time). The Grill bar/cafe was surprisingly good. We had soup, salad, and sandwiches which were all well prepared. The biggest surprise was the breakfast. Though the hotel website said 'continental' breakfast, it was actually a full buffet. There was the ubiquitous waffel maker, very popular just the same, but they also had scrambled eggs, bacon, and potatoes. The cereal and bread bar had good bulk yogurt, fresh fruit, and granola as well as the usual cereals, and breads for the toaster. THe coffee was plenty good enough, not watery or acidic.
Staying here was quite a good value, all around.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family