All reviews breakfast sandwich outdoor pool jimmy dean sausage no elevator room was clean bit dated cable tv black hills tourist season would stay here again place to sleep the ground floor fridge and microwave free breakfast visiting mt stayed two nights first floor
Reviewed 19 August 2017

We stayed here for 3 nights to see Mt. Rushmore and other local sites. The staff was very nice. The room was big and clean. The beds were comfortable. Continental breakfast is included. It consists of cereal, bagels, toast, and a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich every morning. My only complaint that is we had to have breakfast in our room because the eating area is small and gets filled up quickly. There is an outdoor pool that looked very nice but it was a little chilly for swimming when we were there.

Room Tip: Request a first floor room if you can because there is no elevator that I could see.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay. My expectations were low - just looking for an affordable place to crash and catch some zzz's after a day of hiking and adventure in the Black Hills.
The staff was very friendly.
The room was comfortable and clean.
I didn't take advantage of the free breakfast, but what a nice bonus. The pool looked really inviting too.
If I had more time I would have enjoyed it.
This hotel will be on our priority list when we are traveling to the Black Hills area again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Twice before we had stayed at the more expensive Grand Gateway next door, which was full (according to the booking site) for Memorial Day Weekend. That was untrue. This property was about 1/4 full and the Grand Gateway perhaps a little more. Based on misinformation, this was the best value accomodation we could book in advance in the area we like - off the Interstate, near half a dozen malls, close to the National Parks, near the cinemas, next to Perkins family restaurant. In other words, a great location. Reception was not modern, nor were the common areas, however the rooms were quite up to date without being showy. Our upstairs double Queen was spacious, comfy beds, very clean, good sized bathroom, cable TV, overlooked a meadow filled with birds, was reasonably priced, plenty of parking at rear, properly served for 4 days running. Downsides are the lack of a lift and the tiny breakfast area ,where an overworked receptionist tries to mollify guests who are unhappy about a "breakfast biscuit" token system, lack of seating and paultry offerings. We popped across the car park to Perkins. Will stay again when next in the US because Rapid City is always on our must see list and the accomodation here was more homely, than next door. The staff are friendly, helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: Upstairs in rear
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Our family only stayed one night. Room was clean, outdoor pool was fun for the kids. No elevator so staying on the second floor required hauling all of our luggage up stairs. The included breakfast was ok - basic cereal, bagels, and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. For a no-frills hotel option during vacation season this was a solid option.

Room Tip: Since there is no elevator, try and get a room on the first floor unless you have very little luggage.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2017

The rooms are old and the 2nd night of our stay I was up most of the night due to a storm blowing the windows off the tracks. While the rooms are old they were clean. The outdoor pool is terrible. Way too many chemicals. Both my son & I had burning eyes. The continental breakfast was below expectations. Your basic fare of cold cereal breads & the highlight being a microwave Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich? Disgusting choice. Next time we come to Rapid City we will not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family