“A very nice place to stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
New York City, New York
“A very nice place to stay”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The staff members were friendly. The food was pretty good. The rooms were comfortable and practical.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 23 January 2012

First – this is a gorgeous, new (6 months as of this writing) hotel with modern décor and a kind of Western themed motif carried through the lobby and common areas. Nicest HGI I have experience in terms of décor ever and I hope Hilton continues this type of theme as it rolls out new HGI properties. It is – probably by far based on other hotels in the area – the nicest hotel in Rapid City and anywhere nearby.

Finding the hotel is hard – directions are vague on their own website and even Google maps and most GPS can’t place it. To find the hotel, exit at La Crosse Ave. and head north (toward the mall) briefly and it’s an immediate right at the first traffic light by the Boston Pizza and a gas station (there is a sign, along with that of Travelodge and Outback) and then down the (poorly lit) hill to the hotel which sits by itself. The hotel is well off of I-90 and busy streets so traffic noise is not an issue.

Curiously, there are no pictures at all of this hotel on their website (through Hilton.com) either which I don’t understand as being open 6 months why wouldn’t they want to showcase their great property? The lone pictures on the website are of some other, generic looking Hilton Garden not this one. They seriously need to get with Hilton’s marketing people and rectify this. Look at Trip Advisor user photos if you want a more accurate depiction of the hotel.

The bulk of this review has to do with an unfortunate major problem when I stayed there for what was supposed to be a 2-night stay –and caused me to check out within 3 hours of checking in: their fire alarm system.

When we arrived around 8:30 p.m. or so, the fire alarm was going full blare and of course continued until the fire department arrived. We drove around the perimeter of the hotel and curiously there were no guest evacuated out of the building. We weren’t given an explanation of why the alarm went off or what the result was, other than the front desk staff hoped it wouldn’t happen again. They seemed genuinely embarrassed, but still should have been more forthcoming in an explanation as best they knew.

Then, at around 11:45 p.m. it happened again – jolting my wife and I out of a sound sleep in a dark room. To say we were freaked out is a major understatement – we were very scared, and were on the top floor. The alarm is extremely loud, as it should be and would surely wake the dead. We rang the front desk asking what was going on and were told there was a malfunction with a clothes dryer and were told guests or staff weren’t supposed to use it. Whether that is the real story, who knows.

Not intending to wait for this to happen a 3rd time, we checked out and went to another hotel at midnight in the freezing cold. We were informed upon departure it was some kind of heat sensor that was malfunctioned and the problem was or would be fixed after the fire dept was there a 2nd time – but even if was, I’d be fretting all night and wouldn’t have slept. To their credit, the front desk said they wouldn’t charge us for any of the stay and understood why we wanted to go.

But, the hotel has an issue in terms of its emergency evacuation procedures – apparently it has none. Yes the alarm was blaring and light strobes flashing and yes they have procedures written in the hotel manual in the room.

Having been through this a few other times, I was concerned by a lack of any direction from the hotel – usually there is a recorded and live message that is broadcast through the hallways and guest rooms regarding evacuating out of the building. Most modern new hotels would have this capability I assumed.

Based on my observation that apparently no other guests had evacuated outside or at least to the lobby during either alarm, I seriously question their staff’s training. It was a bitter cold night, yes, but this in my view is a potential serious health and safety concern. If it had been a real fire, I can only imagine the consequences.

Having said all of this I would consider staying here again in future – if there were assurances their fire alarm system issues have been thoroughly rectified.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the hotel if you want more of a view than the parking lot of rear-facing...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hotelreviewer333
Monte H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I want to personally apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm, while there was a malfunction in the system which is in place to protect our guest. This thought the situation was corrected by the fire department on the first alarm; however that was not the case. I do understand your concern and I am glad our front desk did what they could to handle your situation. I hope that if your travel brings you back to Rapid City, you will look at the Hilton Garden Inn has your accommodations.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Very new and very clean! Staff was so polite, friendly, and very accommodating. They went above and beyond my every expectation to make my stay comfortable. The Hilton Garden-Inn also hosted my wedding in their amazing banquet room. Jill Morgan did an outstanding job at making my day unforgettable and stress free! They put in so much work that wasn’t expected of them and I couldn’t be more grateful! I would highly recommend them to my closest friends and family if they ever needed a banquet room for a special occasion.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
CT
Reviewed 10 December 2011

This hotel is brand new and lovely.
The room is spacious and beds super comfortable (pillow top?). Fridge in the room very convenient.
The coffee is always on, the cookies come out in the afternoon, and the breakfast buffet was fabulous - as a Hilton Honors member I get 2 free breakfasts - I think they were $9.99 if you were paying cash - well worth it, I think.
I was a bit worried after reading the other reviews, but found no odors, and no noise...there was a Christmas party one of the nights I was there (people from the Air Force base) - but I only heard them when I was in the lobby - once upstairs I didn't have any noise issues.
The staff was very friendly, and helpful pointing us in the right direction for local color - downtown Rapid City is enjoying a resurgence with new restaurants and shops - when we were there it was "tax free saturday" - horse drawn carriages, music in the new square, ice skating, lights - really fun!

Room Tip: With a high floor you get a neat view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank CTMomCt
New Mexico
Reviewed 23 November 2011

My family stayed here one night while passing through the area and had a totally negative experience. The hotel was a bit hard to find because of the road construction, but when we arrived it looked nice. It didn't smell too good---it still had some fumes from its recent construction. We settled in and tried the hotel restaurant. The food was totally mediocre--- barely edible if you weren't starving. The bar crowd was rowdy. In the middle of the night about midnight, a car stereo in the parking lot outside our window started blasting music. I cannot describe just exactly how loud it was---wall shaking is a start. We were about to call the cops if the front desk didn't do something about it. The front desk apologized for it the next morning, and when I complained in my survey a week later Hilton made it okay, sort of, but the damage was done. I can't recommend this place to anyone for any price.
Also, doors are thin so you can clearly hear if, for example, children are running down hall screaming/playing? in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Maybe the 2nd floor rooms are more quiet?
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank SavvyTraveler11
Monte H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
I wanted to thank you personally for filling out and for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not find everything to your satisfaction. It is my goal to exceed our customer’s expectation and it appears that you had a few issues related to your stay.. I looked into your concern and please be assured that the issues you mentioned will be taken care regarding the meal. As far as the music, once the first guest advised us of the situation, the individual was removed from the property.
I hope to serve you as a customer again in the near future. We would be happy to show you that our customer concerns are our concerns. We strive to accomodate every guest that stays with us and will continue to work on exceeding our customer’s expectations in very situation. Once again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.