“Skip it.”

Coco Palace
Ranked #206 of 292 Restaurants in Rapid City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Reviewed 4 July 2016

"Experience" starts at the parking lot that looks very abandoned with weeds everywhere. Bad smell "greets" you at the door and although the place is always ( I drive by everyday) empty, we had to wait to get attention of the host/waiter. We had a bad experience 6 years ago and never went back buy they started to advertise Korean BBQ, which is my absolute favorite! I had to try it. Bad idea. Price was way too high (but looking over menu we realized it was double for everything you can get elsewhere in town) so we decided to order different things. Appetizer was spring rolls that had rice noodles and lettus in it with a scoop of "Skippy" as "satay sauce". My husband had Padthai, that tasted according to him like pasta with tomato sauce, kid ordered udon which came cold, i got sushi with old smelly fish and weidest tasting wasaby ever. Wasnt even spicy.... The only good thing about our food was beer! It came in a can, so... Bathrooms were nasty and the whole place felt dirty. Needless to say we never going back.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank hybiscus25

Reviewed 24 February 2016 via mobile

The place was empty Sunday at noon, but sushi was good. The service, host, and cook was the same person. I like a busy place and this was not it. Not sure it has a good location but did like the atmosphere they were out of some of the menu items which I thought was odd, but overall kinda a sad place, I felt bad for our waiter, cook and host.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 13 September 2015

we have sushi here about once a month for several years now and I have always had fresh, good quality food as well as good service.
I have had sushi all over the U.S. From San Fransisco, Hawaii, Florida etc. the sushi at Coco Palace is as good as any.
I will admit that part of the good, quick service is likely because many people wont stop due to the poor landscaping.The lawn always looks like it needs to be mowed.. Weeds growing in the parking lot and trees that need to be trimmed. Thank God that the inside appears to be clean and tidy.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 8 January 2015

Located in a pretty low income part of town, I had low hopes for it. I was blown away by how spacious and beautiful the decor was. Occupancy of about 300 and this place was empty.

Great service, attentive, and my water was never empty. I like how quiet it was and the staff didn't harass us to order, gave us plenty of time to look the menu over.

The food itself was very good and their hot and sour soup was some of the best I've had.

This is the first time I've written a review but this hole in the wall restaurant is definitely a local treasure. Don't let the exterior fool you, this is some good food.

Date of visit: January 2015
Reviewed 19 September 2014

I'm not sure how this place is still open. My date was ruined because of this place. The server took forever to get our drinks and the food took over an hour to come. We almost left. They did not even apologize for the wait. To top it all off, they were not even busy for a Friday night.

Date of visit: October 2013