Best Western Golden Spike Inn & Suites(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 110
US$ 97
Comfort Inn & Suites(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 113
Quality Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 121
US$ 113
Whispering Winds Cottages(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 122
US$ 115
Mountain View Lodge & Cabins(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 97
Trails End Cabins & Motel(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 148
Harney Peak Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 136
US$ 142
US$ 119
Lantern Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 100
Restmore Inn(Hill City)(Great Value!)
US$ 154
US$ 145
All reviewspalmer gulchexecutive cabinmini golfi can't think of a betterhost hotelblack hillsgift storeall you can eatpancake breakfastchuckwagon dinnerthe ice cream shopmain restaurantfamily reunionspotty wififun placewine shopsmall bathroom
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Lodge and campground. My parents stayed in their motorhome and my husband, daughter and I stayed in the lodge. We first had a "Row Cabin" #6. We got there late and did not really check out the room until we went to bed. The cabin was disgusting. It had missing knobs on drawers, dirty counters, stained carpet, stained mattresses and the floor in the bathroom was coming apart from the tub. I cant believe they actually charge $100 a night for it. It was small and basically not a cabin, but a room in a building far from the lodge. I have never stayed in such a dump!
Make sure if you stay at this property you do not get a Row Cabin. They are not worth it! I barely slept that night and we moved into the lodge the next morning. The lodge room was clean and definately nicer. Even the towels were nicer. It was also cheaper for the same size room, but did not have a fireplace. Big Deal!
The campground and facilities are great for families and we had a great time despite the bad room the first night. If I was to return, I would stay in a Lodge room or an executive cabin.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My family just returned from a stay at the Palmer Gulch Lodge in Hill City, South Dakota. We booked a three night stay at the lodge while we were exploring the Mount Rushmore/Black Hills area. On the day we were to check in, we arrived after 5:00 p.m. Tired, after traveling all day, we were told our room was not ready and would not be for at least 30-45 minutes. Check in time was supposed to be 3:00 p.m. When we were finally given our room, I was surprised to find that there was no toilet paper or even a toilet paper holder. My husband had to go to the office and request it. The lodge and adjacent KOA were very, very, crowded and took a little of the peacefulness that we were seeking away. Also, housekeeping was terrible. We would leave early in the morning for our different day trips and would return in the early evening to find our room had yet to be cleaned Then when they did clean the room, it was just barely acceptable. Also, they charged a daily resort fee for the amenities. Great location, but overall Palmer Gulch was mediocre at best.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank FloridaLuvtotravel
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We loved our stay at the Palmer Gulch Lodge. I had read about the continental breakfast running out of food - but our experience was the opposite. We were there from 6:45 a.m. to as late as 8:45 a.m. and there was plenty of selection (from cereal and milk to English Muffins, blueberry and cinnamon muffins, bagels, milk, juice and coffee. We ate at the Ponderosa (restaurant on the premises) and it was delicious. There was a pizza and sandwich shop also on the premises, but we didn't make it there. By the amount of people going in and out of there I'm sure it was good. We did make it into the ice cream shop and it was good.

In our party was a mom, and three teens. The room was clean and the balcony overlooked the woods. The kids didn't have a single thing to complain about. The staff was extremely helpful with directions to the local sites and activities (we went ATVing at Deerfield Lake and on the Buffalo Safari at Custer). They gave us suggestions about restaurants in the nearby towns (Hill City and Custer). The staff was very friendly and very helpful with whatever our needs or concerns were (very refreshing). There were many families there and none of them we spoke to had any complaints.

When I saw on the websites that it had 2 stars, I was worried (with NO reason). I would highly recommend the Palmer Gulch Lodge to anyone and will return again. It was very reasonable and close to everything (just down and around the mountain to Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park).

We were there for the week of July 14, 2008 and are from the Chicago, IL area.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wscsoccermom10
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Several friends traveling together and one selected this lodge for our stay in Hill City (also has a KOA campground on premises). Our rate was $140+ per night which in my opinion was not a good value, it was more like an under $100/night motel. Rooms were clean, rooms facing the rear have balconies, front facing rooms do not, continental breakfast OK but no fresh fruit, breakfast room large & nice, lodge is convenient to Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park. Because of the campground there is a nice camp store on premises, fairly reasonable prices. On site restaurant OK. They have a shuttle to Rushmore but we didn't use it. Lodge lobby has coffee, tea, hot chocolate available most of the time and staff is nice.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank goneagain2
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I say "above average" because of the location. Yes a campground is within view, but so is a forrest- the campground is a distance away and did not bother me. Plus you get the relaxing campfire smoke wafting on a breeze without having to wake up outside on the ground in a damp sleeping bag or in a wobbly pop up camper or a portable living room 5th wheel trailer. We had a porch just off our room (most rooms do) and it was very relaxing to sip a beer on the porch in the sunset after a day of hiking the hills. Very quiet, you can hear the sounds of birds and the breezes passing through the pines. I highly recommend for family who wants an escape from camping, but still wants to enjoy the outdoors when they are awake.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tpg_02