“Dissapointed”

Lodge at Palmer Gulch
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Hill City
Reviewed 7 October 2008

We are from Rapid City, SD----which is 30 minutes from Palmer Gulch. My family & I have used the Palmer Gulch KOA campground 2 or 3 times in the past few years & have been very pleased with the beautiful views, pool, fun for the kids. However, this year we opted to take advantage of the cabins that are affiliated with The Lodge at Palmer Gulch since we would be camping with other family members. I had numerous conversations with reservations at the Lodge to get a feel of the various cabins & their sizes and amenities. After finally making a reservation, I had asked many times if this was a "modern cabin" & the reservationist reassured me it was. Upon arriving----it was not quite what we had expected for $150/night. The cabin was sunk down in a valley with rocks for steps to the front door----not real great for small children or older folks. The fire grate was at the back of the cabin----10 feet from another camping spot & their fire grate. The property manager did come & put in a new fire grate in front of our cabin.
The cabin itself was far from what I would consider modern. The kitchen table was from the 70's & had four chairs---but there wasn't enough room for anyone to sit around it since the only spot for the table was in a nook. Also, instead of a light over the table--they had a large table lamp in the middle of it. Very tacky! The walls in the kitchen & living room were dirty. The small room off the kitchen w/bunkbeds was unacceptable---my kids refused to sleep in it. The bed was probably 30 years old as well as the bedding on the bed.
The bathroom was awful to say the least. The linoleum was in dire need of replacing.
However, the 2 larger bedrooms were very acceptable for sleeping, as well as the pull-out couch. We always look forward to spending time in our beautiful Black Hills, but unfortunately did not enjoy these accommodations and feel as though we were deceived.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank stgoody
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Lodge at Palmer Gulch

Reviewed 22 August 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Lodge and campground. My parents stayed in their motorhome and my husband, daughter and I stayed in the lodge. We first had a "Row Cabin" #6. We got there late and did not really check out the room until we went to bed. The cabin was disgusting. It had missing knobs on drawers, dirty counters, stained carpet, stained mattresses and the floor in the bathroom was coming apart from the tub. I cant believe they actually charge $100 a night for it. It was small and basically not a cabin, but a room in a building far from the lodge. I have never stayed in such a dump!
Make sure if you stay at this property you do not get a Row Cabin. They are not worth it! I barely slept that night and we moved into the lodge the next morning. The lodge room was clean and definately nicer. Even the towels were nicer. It was also cheaper for the same size room, but did not have a fireplace. Big Deal!
The campground and facilities are great for families and we had a great time despite the bad room the first night. If I was to return, I would stay in a Lodge room or an executive cabin.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My family just returned from a stay at the Palmer Gulch Lodge in Hill City, South Dakota. We booked a three night stay at the lodge while we were exploring the Mount Rushmore/Black Hills area. On the day we were to check in, we arrived after 5:00 p.m. Tired, after traveling all day, we were told our room was not ready and would not be for at least 30-45 minutes. Check in time was supposed to be 3:00 p.m. When we were finally given our room, I was surprised to find that there was no toilet paper or even a toilet paper holder. My husband had to go to the office and request it. The lodge and adjacent KOA were very, very, crowded and took a little of the peacefulness that we were seeking away. Also, housekeeping was terrible. We would leave early in the morning for our different day trips and would return in the early evening to find our room had yet to be cleaned Then when they did clean the room, it was just barely acceptable. Also, they charged a daily resort fee for the amenities. Great location, but overall Palmer Gulch was mediocre at best.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank FloridaLuvtotravel
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We loved our stay at the Palmer Gulch Lodge. I had read about the continental breakfast running out of food - but our experience was the opposite. We were there from 6:45 a.m. to as late as 8:45 a.m. and there was plenty of selection (from cereal and milk to English Muffins, blueberry and cinnamon muffins, bagels, milk, juice and coffee. We ate at the Ponderosa (restaurant on the premises) and it was delicious. There was a pizza and sandwich shop also on the premises, but we didn't make it there. By the amount of people going in and out of there I'm sure it was good. We did make it into the ice cream shop and it was good.

In our party was a mom, and three teens. The room was clean and the balcony overlooked the woods. The kids didn't have a single thing to complain about. The staff was extremely helpful with directions to the local sites and activities (we went ATVing at Deerfield Lake and on the Buffalo Safari at Custer). They gave us suggestions about restaurants in the nearby towns (Hill City and Custer). The staff was very friendly and very helpful with whatever our needs or concerns were (very refreshing). There were many families there and none of them we spoke to had any complaints.

When I saw on the websites that it had 2 stars, I was worried (with NO reason). I would highly recommend the Palmer Gulch Lodge to anyone and will return again. It was very reasonable and close to everything (just down and around the mountain to Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park).

We were there for the week of July 14, 2008 and are from the Chicago, IL area.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wscsoccermom10
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Several friends traveling together and one selected this lodge for our stay in Hill City (also has a KOA campground on premises). Our rate was $140+ per night which in my opinion was not a good value, it was more like an under $100/night motel. Rooms were clean, rooms facing the rear have balconies, front facing rooms do not, continental breakfast OK but no fresh fruit, breakfast room large & nice, lodge is convenient to Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park. Because of the campground there is a nice camp store on premises, fairly reasonable prices. On site restaurant OK. They have a shuttle to Rushmore but we didn't use it. Lodge lobby has coffee, tea, hot chocolate available most of the time and staff is nice.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
High Country Guest Ranch
#10 of 12 in Hill City
9.2 km away
Rushmore Express Inn & Family Suites

Been to Lodge at Palmer Gulch? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK