All reviewsfull kitchenblack hillssatellite tveasy accesscuster state parkcomfortable bedsneedles highwaymount rushmorececiliacabinattractionsgrandchildrenswing
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I used my delightful, quaint, clean and convenient cabin at Lodestone as a base of operations to motorcycle around the Black Hills for a week. The location near Hill City is ideal, right in the heart of the Black Hills. It was easy to plan day trips in any direction and return to my clean, quiet cabin for a comfortable night's rest. The cabin had all the amenities I could desire: wifi, TV with DVD and VCR, AC, stove, fridge, microwave, ceiling fan, dishes, towels and cooking utensils. I plan on bringing my family back here next year. They were also very reasonable in price and Tom Janssen and his family were great hosts!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank hackpilot
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We had a very enjoyable stay at this complex last month and we were only sad that we weren’t staying there longer. We stayed in one of the cabins and were very impressed with the size, cleanliness and convenience of it. It had everything we needed including an adequate bathroom and fully stocked kitchenette with large fridge, hob rings and all utensils needed for self-catering. The Wi-fi worked very well. My favourite aspect was the porch area and grill, as we sat out all night eating and drinking while watching the storm until late. Our late arrival (22.30) was no problem and even assisting me with the grill (the pilot spark wouldn’t work) at that time was no trouble for the owners. The location is great in the heart of the Black Hills, a short drive from Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial, while nothing in the area is far away. We loved this cabin and thought it to be very good value, we would definitely stay again if in the Black Hills.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BorderRambler
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Extremely clean. Very friendly and real log cabins. The kitchens were nice and having grills outside a big plus.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank trailsend1
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We loved our 'motel' room at the Lodestone. It felt more like a cabin and having a full kitchen was a big help to our budget. Watson was a hit with the family and the owners were friendly and helpful. Their grandchildren were visiting during our stay and were very nice and great playmates for my son who is 7. The rooms are priced right and central to almost all the attractions. I honestly have no complaints and suggest that anyone planning a vacation to the Black Hills area would have a great, comfortable and economic stay at the Lodestone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Catherine P
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed at Lodestone for three nights in June 2012. Tom, the owner, was great to deal with over the phone for our reservation. When we got there, the cabins were just as I expected - Lincoln Logs. So cute! Very clean, comfy beds, adequate space.They have just the right amount of character to set them apart from other "fancier" places. Knotty pine, mismatched dishes and towels. They were home-y and cabin-y. Perfect for the price. You can't find a better place for this price. Hill City is centrally located for all the attractions in the Black Hills. If I had to do it again, we might have just stayed at Lodestone for the whole week. Would definitely stay there again. Tom also had great recommendations for restaurants. My kids hope that Tom's grandson would be around the next time. Watson is quite a charmer, too.

Room Tip: I think any room would be fine. Cabin #1 has an owl theme.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family