All reviewsfull kitchenblack hillssatellite tveasy accesscuster state parkcomfortable bedsneedles highwaymount rushmorececiliacabinattractionsgrandchildrenswing
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed at Lodestone in May 2010 on a business trip and were so impressed with the cabins, we booked our July 2011 family vacation. Our grandchildren enjoyed hiking and fishing nearby, but they also looked forward to the daily visits by "Watson", the owner’s dog. The location is perfect, because it is just outside of the busy little town, so you don't have all the noise. You are close to all of the attractions, which is so convenient. After a long day of sightseeing, we enjoyed a BBQ on our porch, then sitting in the little porch swing at night watching the stars come out. The owners are very friendly and accommodating, anything you needed they would go out of their way to assist you. If you are looking for a place to stay while you are in the Hill City area, take the opportunity to stay at the Lodestone. This is a perfect place for a memorable family vacation, I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AngiedbPierpont
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The cabin was very small for a family of four. Advertised they had free WiFi, but we could not get service in our cabin.

The owners grand kids were there for the week. They were unsupervised, and unruly! Had to tell them several times to not throw rocks at our car. They would also come to our door and just stare at us, so even though it was nice out we had to have door closed. They ran around screaming the entire time. There is no way to relax, like they advertise. Even our kids were annoyed by them.

The dishes and pans they had available were disgusting. We ended up buying plastic everything. The shower head was busted when we got there. They did put on a new one, but very hard to take a shower when the water is more of a mist than a spray.

It was a nice area, they need to do a better job with up keep and cleanliness. If they have their grand kids there, they need to have rules. I am surprised the kids didn't break the porch swing they had for everyone to use.

The price is ok for what you get. The beds were very hard. We won't stay there on a return trip.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank phays72
Reviewed 28 February 2011

My husband and I went to the Black Hills film festival and stayed at the Lodestone, what a great choice that was. The cabin was very clean and cozy, their dog was such a joy to have around every morning. After being with so many people all day long we couldn't wait to get back to our nice quite cabin. I ran a resort myself for 7 years so I know how hard it is to keep up with the demands of the public but these guys do an outstanding job. That is why we are taking our grandchildren there for our summer vacation this year I think they will love it. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank LittleSpirit
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Stayed at Lodestone for the first time. We found the room at the motel to be clean and the kitchen to be great for cooking and saving money. Mr. Janssen was very friendly and gave us alot of great suggestions for places to eat and where to ride on our ATV's. His dog Watson was very friendly and greeted us every time he could. There were 4 of us in our group. Hill City is also very conveniently located to all the attractions, Custer State Park, Rapid City, Mt. Rushmore, Needles Hwy. But we didn't have to drive to see wildlife as I watched a doe and her fawnout the kitchen window while I cooked breakfast one morning and 3 other does another day. I totally recommend the lodestone motel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmeyers
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My family and I just returned from a trip to Hill City South Dakota. This was a great little cabin for our family. The owners were friendly, and went out of their way to help us have great stay. There were all families with children staying there and my kids loved the little play ground and thier dog. When we first arrived my first thought was that it was pretty small...but really it was more cozy than small even for our large family. I love the view from porch swing each morning and afternoon. We prepared all most all our meals at the cabin and the kitchen had everything I needed, It was very clean and well kept. We will recommend this place to anyone going to the black hills.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family