“Lee street station”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Deadwood
Sioux Falls
“Lee street station”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

we did not stay in your motel, but did enjoy breakfast in the lee street station. We did remember the cook from another establishment and as always enjoyed her humor and bantor along with the great breakfast. We definitely are considering staying in your hotel next year and was given a tour of rooms by your friendly staff. We were so happy to find someone that served breakfast since in previous years that was difficult to do! It is a beautiful casino and very inviting!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thanks so much for the great review and for taking the time to let others know! We couldn't agree with you more about Lee Street Station's cook, Tami. She has quite a following because of her personality and she is like that every day! We look forward to your return and would like to remind you that the best deals for a stay with us are on our website or by calling us directly. We try to make each guest's experience with us the absolute best and we hope to see you on your next visit to Deadwood!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We actually visited for the first time and had chosen a different hotel across the street. We went to breakfast at the Martin Mason and met the owner of the hotel. She overheard us comPlaining about our hotel and was sweet enough to give us a tour of her hotel. Every room was gorgeous! Antiques, claw foot tubs, king sized feather beds.....this place is amazing! It's like walking back into time....only it's spotlessly clean. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel itself. Melanie the owner gave us great tips on Saving money on bookings at her hotel as well as history on Deadwood....what a great host! We will definitely be staying at her hotel on our next visit!

• Stayed April 2012
Melanie H, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our hotel. It was truly our pleasure to share with you our history and effort to preserve a part of the historic town of Deadwood. It is precisely because of people like your group (of course we remember you!) that makes sharing so rewarding for us. Spending a little time with interested, intelligent, respectful and appreciative guests is why we we are here! It was so great to meet you and we hope to see you all here again soon!
Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

Great hotel. Friendly service. Close to downtown and very clean.

Stayed January 2012
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed here because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor, and it was the best decision we made on our trip in the Black Hills! Reading historical novels is a passion for me so being able to feel like I truly was in another era was nothing but superb. Right in the heart of all the history of the area, I could live it. I sat on the antique sofa in the hallway reading in the afternoon just so I could soak up the atmosphere. The staff was so attentive with providing anything we needed, bath salts, ice, etc., just like it must have been at the turn of the century.

As others have commented, everything in this small hotel was just perfect, from the complimentary bottled water and soft drinks to the coffee and warm scones right outside our door in the morning. The best part of our room, filled with beautiful antiques, however, was the comfortable King size bed. I have never stayed in a hotel, in any country, in which I slept so well. I even asked where they got the mattress and pillows, as it was the best sleep ever.

We ate in the diner downstairs for breakfast after our early morning scones and coffee upstairs. Hey, it was our vacation, right? All I can say is, you do not want to miss this entertaining and great breakfast, as this is what makes Deadwood, DEADWOOD! We almost sat at one of the tables outside because it was such a beautiful day for March, but we will wait until next time because we will be back!

Room Tip: Do what we did, call the hotel and check with the friendly staff to help select the room that will s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
martinmasonhotel, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience with us! It means so much to all of us here at the Martin Mason when our guests are so unbiased and honest in sharing their feelings about their time here. We all work so hard to make each guest's time a comfortable and welcoming experience. We are lucky that we are small enough to have the chance to meet and know all the details about our guests and their stay. It is just wonderful when a guest like you understands and appreciates our attention to the history of Deadwood. We remember you and we welcome you to return soon!
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This place is highly rated on TA, but I cannot give it high marks. It was the worst hotel I stayed in on a 6 day trip. Having driven 585 miles the Saturday of my arrival. I was more than tired and exhausted. I arrived to a cold, windy, snowy Deadwood and quickly found the centrally located hotel. Dragging my luggage through the snow, I went to the front door of the hotel and found it locked. I went around the side and saw another door with the hotel name on it -it was locked, too. I went to the jewelry store next door to ask how to get into this place. A kind woman threw her cigarette in the snow and escorted me to another side door. This door was marked "Casino" yet made no mention it was the actual entrance to the shared casino/lobby. By this time, I was cold and a little ticked I'd wasted time trying to get into the place. The woman that let me in was also the front desk person. I gave her my name, spelled it three times, and all I got was a head nod - in the negative direction. "I'm sorry, we just do not have you in our system for this evening and we are full." I excused myself, went back outside in the snow, and retrieved my confirmation number which I had written on a road map. When I read her the conf. #, she said, "Oh, there you are, I'm so sorry." This was not a good time for her to be sorry; all I wanted was a room.
The room was decorated with old furnishings, most dating from the early 1900's. The bed was comfy, but the old style bath tub was retro fitted with a wrap around shower curtain which did a poor job containing water, even with my best intentions. The flat screen TV was the smallest I'd ever seen, looking more akin to a heart monitor than a television. The coffee and scones promised in the hallway the following morning were gone when I woke up at 7;30. There are NO food facilities in this hotel. Rather than enjoying a relaxing morning in the old room, I quickly took a messy shower and was out the door by 8:00 seeking a much needed breakfast. All in all, I wasn't a fan of this place. I'm sure it was opulent and tony 80 years ago, but I simply couldn't find nor appreciate the charm.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Drroady
martinmasonhotel, Owner at Martin Mason Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion on TA about your recent stay with us at the Martin Mason Hotel. When we read your comments we actually thought you had made some kind of mistake. When we realized that you actually were referring to us, we needed to find out what could have possibly gone so wrong for you. Unfortunately, issues occur in the hotel business and it is always our goal to improve and ensure every guest has a wonderful experience.

We haven’t had a problem before with guests finding a door into the building as we are open 24 hours and have six doors that are never locked by law. We do have two private entrances directly to the second floor (where the hotel is located) that are locked for guest security and privacy (you need a key).

Both our hotel manager and casino employee remember your check in and I assure you that they are the most personable and helpful employees on our staff. They receive daily comments from guests regarding their professionalism. As for the snowy conditions, Deadwood is a mountain town and we do clear our sidewalks hourly, but it can snow fast here!

We are so sorry that you didn’t take the time to let us know that scones were not available (this is truly a first, especially at 7:30!) as we would have happily provided you with more. While this is very perplexing to us, we are most surprised that you could not see or smell or ask about the Lee Street Station Café right in our building on the ground floor. Breakfast begins at 7:00 am and is considered by locals and guests as the “best breakfast in Deadwood”.
As for the title of your review “Not Impressed, Worn and Haggard’, we feel you could not be further from the truth as we only opened four years ago. The Martin Mason building was condemned in 1996 when we purchased it and we spent the next decade and several million dollars to restore the property and its historical value because we value saving America’s heritage (you can read more on our website). Every original item that could be saved was carefully restored. We purchased quality antique furnishings in which to decorate our hallways and rooms, so that our guests could feel the way others had felt when they walked through the halls as if it was the 1890’s when the building was built. Deadwood is on the National Register for Historic Places and we are very proud to be located in the heart of this wonderful district. The National Trust for Historic Preservation and Deadwood Historic Preservation have given us many kudos for an excellent job in historically renovating the property and it is used as a model nationwide for others to follow. Let me assure you that nothing in the building, including the woodwork, furnishings, carpets, bathrooms, beds, draperies, tile work, etc. is “old” or “worn and haggard”. We have strived to keep this history alive at great expense.

We realize that not everyone is looking for a wonderfully historic and comfortable experience in downtown Deadwood that we provide. Like most towns in America there are many large hotel chains outside the historic district that can provide those with more modern sensibilities the atmosphere they desire. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but we are so thankful to our guests who do enjoy and understand (and are largely very impressed) with what we provide as a boutique historical hotel.