“Yellow BBQ Sauce Maurice’s ”

Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ
Ranked #12 of 154 Restaurants in West Columbia
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Buffet
Description: The Original location of South Carolina's Favorite Barbeque! Real BBQ, Cooked on our Hickory Wood-Fired Pits for 24 Hours!We cook our BBQ the old fashioned way, over hickory coals for 24 hours to optimize that smoky flavor with no preservatives or chemicals! Taste our Ribs, Chicken, & Brisket, and one of the Best Burgers in Columbia! Family Owned and Operated since 1953.Country Buffet at this location in West Columbia, Wed - Sun lunch, Thurs - Sat dinner.
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Always eat at Maurice’s when I am in Columbia. Good ribs and pork but the attraction is the mustard based sauce. Lots of options but the original is my favorite. Also interesting to read up on Maurice’s battle with the grocery stores over the label on his sauce.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We were really hoping to get a good taste of Carolina BBQ on our way back home, and Maurice's seemed to have a lot of good reviews. Yet here I am, disappointed. I'm hoping it was just an off day, and normally I don't like to give negative reviews, but my experience with Maurice's was below even an average BBQ joint.

First things first, one of the staff members came up and took my friend's order, then immediately walked away from the register and ignored me until another staff member came up to help me. Now I assume the first girl just thought my friend and I were together, even though we were in a line, not standing side by side, and he'd only ordered one drink, but... sure, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. So I place my order and go join my friend at the table he's picked. Now we're one of maybe 5 groups of people in the restaurant, and most of them already have their food, so I figure it'll only be a few moments before we're served. Cut to 15 min later and they bring out my friend's tray and the girl asks if we want a second fork to share it. Again, to be clear, it's not like he'd ordered some crazy amount of food, so I really do not understand why now 2 different girls think we're just sharing this plate, but I explain "no thanks, my food should be coming" and she goes. A few minutes later my plate comes out.

Let's talk food: The mac and cheese was barely warmed, let alone hot, and it was average at best. The hushpuppies were savory not sweet (which I get that that's a personal preference). The dinner roll was a crumbly stale mess. The pulled pork? The thing carolina is so famous for, that I didn't think could possibly be bad because Carolina does pulled pork so very well? Yeah... it was dry and flavorless. I had to essentially drown it in vinegar sauce and carolina gold just to get some flavor into it. I will give credit where it's due to the Carolina hash side. That stuff was delicious, and I wish I'd just gotten a giant bowl of that.

Overall. I was just very disappointed by this joint and would not likely recommend it or even give it a second chance, which is why I chose a poor rating over average.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve been eating at Piggy Park far as long as I can remember and I am in my seventh decade. While most of the old family run barbecue restaurants have gone away, Piggy Park still survives. For a long time the place had a reputation as a racist due to the beliefs of its founder Maurice Bessinger. I never considered him to be a rabid racist but some people took exception to his “Heritage not Hate” stance on the rebel battle flag which used to fly over the restaurant. But he’s gone now and the sons are running the place and it appears they’ve concentrated on what made this place so popular. Good food.

I got a hankering for some barbecue on Memorial Day and thought I’d give Piggy Park a try. I was not disappointed. I got a two meat platter with spare ribs and pulled pork. It was great. The onions rings are made the old fashioned way by dredging fresh onions through flour and frying them hot. Fabulous. Hush puppies are double crisp and about the best I’ve had. Even the salty sweet coleslaw is good. But the pulled pork is nearly as good as I ever remember. The spare ribs were great too but I miss the larger ones they used to serve. And the hash and rice which many people avoid is my favorite of any I’ve ever had. There is an all you can eat buffet three or four days a week but I prefer to order the plates or sandwiches. It’s relatively expensive but I find I can make two meals off of one of their dinners.

Give this place a try. There’s something for everyone here. Burgers, chicken, soft serve chocolate dipped ice cream and nanner puddin. Come as you are.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Great experience at the BBQ restaurant established in 1939. I'm more or a tomato based BBQ sauce person, but they have a mustard base that is perfect. The sides are all good southern cooking. Try the hash and banana pudding. None better.

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

I tried the buffet today and was disappointed. The hash and rice were good flavors but the rice has dried out. The bbq pork was good but it was very stringy at about 2-3 inches long. Did not notice a distinct flavor for the bbq but the sweet mustard sauce covered that up anyway. You could be easily be choked on the bbq so you need to cut it up. The fried chicken was too greasy as it sat in a 1/2 inch of oil. The veggies were an overcooked, soupy, lifeless presentation that were totally unappetizing. The non-buffet is the best choice but expensive. If you get a 2 meat plate with side & tea you are at $20 for lunch. Better options and better bbq nearby.