All reviewsfront deskhotel breakfastparking lotbeds were comfortablean upgradecleaning staffair forceking roomessentialsadjustmentsleakacwalmart
Reviewed 11 November 2017

Location was excellent,surrounded by lots of walk to resturants plus hotels. Lobby is gorgeous inside & rooms comfortable. A very nice .breakfast til 9:30 with coffee all day. Front desk couldnt have been more accomdating.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Valorie E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to your next visit to Sumter.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Pretty good place. Extremely friendly ladies at the desk and at breakfast. Good advice on where to eat. Only negative was toilet seat not secure. What was secure was lights in the parking lot, so much that I thought I had overslept but it was just 2:30 am.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Valorie E, operations manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Dear Tarra G:
Thank you for your review of Holiday Inn Express Sumter SC. We value your feedback and will correct the issues listed. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Holiday Inn Express Sumter SC.
Kind Regards:
Guest Relations

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Upon opening our room door found we had a 2 bed room rather than the king room we had reserved.
We thought it was a mistake but were told the change was because we had been upgraded. When I asked how a 2bed room was an upgrade I was told it was because we also had a pull out couch. I said that was not an upgrade and I would only accept the 2bed room with a lower rate. She said she was not authorized to adjust the rate.
We finally were given a king room and she said " I'll have to assign the 2bed room to someone else".
The next morning I asked for the Manager and relayed the story. I told him he was putting his desk person in a bad position if she was not authorized to make adjustments.
He agreed, apologized for the way we were treated and then cut my bill by 50%.
Kudos to the Sumter Holiday Inn Express for making a negative situation into a positive one.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B
Valorie E, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2017

Dear Paul B:
Thank you for your review. We value your feedback and will take actions to correct the issues that were listed. On your next visit to Sumter, we are looking forward to seeing you.
Kind Regards:

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Last December, a conversation between my Wife and I began with: "Babe, can we go to see a solar eclipse?"

Cautiously curious, because she had recently completed an astronomy class at the local College I responded with a quizzical "Where?"

Delighted that I was playing along nicely, she explained:  "Well... the closest place we can see it is in South Carolina."

The words, "Are you kidding me?" exploded in my mind because the ONLY THING I associate with S.C. is the gruelling 13-weeks vacation I endured one summer at a place called Parris Island!!

Alrighty then...

Let me fast-forward:  we arrived at the property, and I immediately began thinking of a similar properly in North Carolina, which we recently visited. This property was also tastefully landscaped and it looked great as we entered the parking lot. However, such things happen when you arrive to a hotel property at 3 o'clock in the morning and everything is nice and quiet and the only person awake is the night auditor at the front desk. While my Wife checked us in, I strolled around and looked into every nook and cranny I saw. I was like a drill sergeant conducting an inspection; however I could not find anything wrong.
No flaws; no malfunctions.
This hotel which is located in an Air Force community, was put together like one of those fine facilities. It had all the essentials. And it was operated very efficiently.

However ~ all that quiet and calm was abruptly interrupted at 8:00 a.m. when we headed to the main floor for breakfast. This had to have been the most participated hotel breakfast I have ever seen... There were people everywhere! As I looked around, I saw one employee in the breakfast area. She worked like quite a trooper. She kept refilling breakfast platters, never stopped being polite and she carried her smile quite graciously. My wife was so impressed with this sole employee, she stopped and whispered in her ear the words, "Thank you for such a good breakfast."

This lone soul lit up the room with her smile, then continued trooping along about her duties.

The room was wonderful. Clean.
Climate control ~ great.

Shower and bathroom ~ second to none. Friendliness of the Front Desk clerk ~ awesome.

However, my thoughts go back to that Championship-material Breakfast Employee, and all I can say is:  GREAT JOB.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 4 October 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. If you are ever in Sumter, we look forward to you staying with us.
Kindest Regards:
Guest Relations

Reviewed 8 September 2017

I have never met a more rude and unprofessional Manager at any IHG properties, and I stay at plenty of them. Room 201 has a mouse in it. I physically saw it sitting on the tile, and before I could grab my phone to take a picture it ran under the refrigerator. I was shocked and was considering going to the Candlewood or Hampton Inn, but the Front Desk Rep at the time was helpful and she was willing to move me to another room. It was late and I was extremely tired, so I moved to Room 309. No mice spotted in that room. Unfortunately, the room was much smaller, but I assumed it was all that was available. She offered a free night, but as a loyal customer to IHG properties I agreed to pay. My preference was points (I assumed it would be points equivalent to or a voucher toward a future free night (25,000-40,000 pts). When I inquired with the Manager in the A.M., he said he gave me 5,000 pts. Interestingly, I recently stayed at a Crowne Plaza that made a simple mistake with my dry cleaning and they were so embarrassed, they said they pride themselves on high standards and offered 10,000 points without hesitation. The Manager at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Sumter, South Carolina practically insisted I was lying because I didn’t have a photo. He said he did not find a mouse or mice droppings. I found two droppings on the bed, which I flicked on the floor, because before the mouse sighting I thought it was black fuzz. I doubt he would find them since the carpet is black and gray. I also said the mouse likely ran into the crack in the floorboard or under the cabinet. He said there are no holes in the wall. This entire time, the Manager was rising his voice and argumentative. First, I looked between the refrigerator and the cabinet, and there is a small gap in between the floor and the wall. Mice require very little space to squeeze through. Second, if he looked behind the door he would notice a large hole where people swung the door open too far. With no door stopper in place, the security latch has punctured the wall on what appears to be numerous occasions. If he offered a free night, I would gladly accept a free voucher for another IHG property in the future, as I will never stay at the HI Express in Sumter, nor will I ever recommend it. 5,000 points is an insult. When I called back to discuss that I was offended by his suggestion that I was lying (never mentioning points) he then started yelling over the phone and hung up the receiver. When I called back he did not answer. I wonder how often he ignores phone calls. I hope it’s never an emergency. When a Manager refuses to accept the claim, you can bet that noting will be done to resolve the issue. Very sad.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 201
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Hi Magellan3,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our hotel. I would like to apologize for the issues you had with the presence of a mouse in your room and how the hotel management addressed your concern. We always aim to provide an exceptional stay for all of our guests that is why I regret to see that you did not have a great experience. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay. Rest assured, your comments will be shared with our management team to properly address your concerns I would also like to follow up on this situation that is why I have sent you a private message to obtain more information. I hope that you can respond at your soonest available time.

Thank you for the patronage and for staying. Best regards,

Mike F.