See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

My experience was just horrible...room had a funky smell...also the smell irritated my alligeries so bad that me eyes swelled up. Safe ur self the trouble and stay some where else. Customer service wasn't the best either...front desk always had a attitude.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
rodewayinnnorthchar1, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Rodeway Inn during your recent visit to our area.
We appreciate your review and also take your points seriously.
Our apologies for the bad experience.
We regret the inconvenience caused whatsoever and we are addressing your observations related to the cleanliness and overall hospitality.
You shall definitely find the difference during your next visit.
We await your next trip to our area and promise a nice stay with us.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 18 June 2017

I have stayed at Choice Hotels for about 7 years, but this is downright the worst experience i have ever had. When I walked in the first thing I noticed was the awful MOLDY smell. I turned the AC up and went to my event in hopes that when I got back the smell would dissipate. When I got back 6 hours later the smell had faded just a bit and I thought it was just the fact that the windows don't open and the room needed fresh air. Then I had my son ask the front desk for towels and sheets for the sleeper sofa and they told him he needed to wait until housekeeping came in the next morning. WHAT? well since it was already 10:30 at night I figured we would just make do and get a better hotel room the next day. I took a shower and was completely disgusted with the smell of the water. It smelled like swamp water coming from the shower. Also while I was brushing my teeth to go to bed I smelled Marijuana seeping thru the walls. I just can't believe this place is still a CHOICE hotel. Seriously they need to reconsider keeping this hotel as part of their chain.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in this hotel It needs to be demolished and rebuilt to improve it's quality
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
rodewayinnnorthchar1, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your opinions. I’m terribly sorry that we failed to meet your needs and did not live up to your expectations. We take pride in our hotel and in providing a great place to stay for so many guests, and I deeply regret that we let you down. Perhaps you will give us another try in the future so we can do a better job of satisfying you. We’re always working to get better.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

I have been a regular customer of Choice Hotels chain for many years but this is downright the worst experience. The check-in was good and I could get by with the worn furniture and appliances in the room for seemingly affordable rate for Charleston on Memorial weekend. But, things really started going downhill after that.. I had to go to a formal event so I went down to loan an iron from the front desk and was persistently but politely told that there is iron board in the room. I quickly went back to the room and checked every drawer in the room. The iron board was not existent but there was leftover food from previous guest in one of the drawers?! For interest of time, I decided to focus on getting ready for my event. As I walked downstairs to front desk, I could smell marijuana and saw someone smoking it near the corner of the back parking lot. I decided I had enough at that time and drove off to a laundry shop. But that's not end the story..Early next day, I got my "morning call" by someone who was repeatedly tossing beer bottles into trashcan outside my room. Shortly after, I went to front desk to talk about some of these issues but there was zero empathy for my experience and was asked why I didn't report the marijuana smoker. I kindly explained I was in a hurry and I paid for a comfortable stay, and not to be their security personnel. With no consolation or compensation from the hotel, I decided to cancel my stay for another night and left in a hurry. When I called back the next day about the $60 sandals I left in the room, I was told nobody in the staff saw them. This hotel lacks quality AND integrity! As a loyal customer, I still believe in Choice Hotels so I hope the management will contact me and make things right.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
rodewayinnnorthchar1, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Hotel manager

Reviewed 22 May 2017

I realize that other reviewers did not have the same positive experience as us, but I am only going to remark on my own. My husband and I had a horrible experience right up the road at a Motel 6 and called around before we found a vacancy in this hotel at a cheaper price so we decided to try it out. We were given the opportunity to check out the room before we booked it (which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND for ANYONE staying in ANY hotel, it's only smart to do so!). While some things like molding or light fixtures could have been cleaner, it was definitely not awful. The place was a little older, perhaps needs a few updates, but none of it was enough to make us not want to stay. The AC worked really well, and that's something coming from someone who keeps their home one on 65F at all times!

The room did NOT smell, except like that lotiony smell that most hotels have when they're cleaned. The bed creaked, but that wasn't a big deal to us. The fridge and microwave worked well, the bed was comfortable and we were able to rest like we wanted to before resuming our adventure. Complimentary breakfast included do-it-yourself waffles, cereal, milk and orange juice, the ability to make toast, muffins and coffee. The front desk staff was awesome and accommodating. Though they had a pool, we were not able to go to it considering we had an early day the next day. I would definitely stay again, I don't expect this place to be a five star in the least, but for a place to rest up and relax? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before booking it. Put your curtains on the windowsill for good airflow. Get to breakfast early.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
rodewayinnnorthchar1, webmaster at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us. I’m very glad that our hotel impressed you in so many ways. I’m extremely happy that you had such a pleasant stay.We’ll be here when you need us with another great stay that you’re sure to like again.

Reviewed 11 May 2017

On May 10th 2017 I checked into room 210. In the bathroom there were dead
insects in bathroom light fixture, there was a cup of frozen soda in refrigerator.
The room was dingy dark and dirty. We went to the front desk and wanted all charges to be reimbursed. That's when things got worse. We were told because we went through a booking agency they could not help us.

Room Tip: Ask to view room first before you pay
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kv1h
rodewayinnnorthchar1, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. We always recommend booking directly with our hotel or through the hotel website. We take great pride in this hotel and are sincerely sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on great service but can’t be responsible for lapses by third-party bookers, though I apologize on their behalf.