“Will not return to this location!”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #72 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Sanford, North Carolina
“Will not return to this location!”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed at the Westgate in the owner’s tower from 15-23 JUN 12. There were seven of us (two adults and five children). We stayed in a two bedroom villa. The room was outstanding. It was very spacious and nicely appointed; large jetted tub, spacious walk in shower, a TV in every room, two king size beds and multiple pull out sofa beds. If you really enjoy cooking, you may want to consider bringing your favorite knives, utensils, etc. The kitchen was lacking in this department. We were surprised to find out that housekeeping would only be in to clean at the midway point of our stay. It really did not have a negative impact on the room’s cleanliness as the staff readily takes away trash and towels if you leave them outside the door. There is no shortage of towels as they will bring you whatever you need when you call. The washer and dryer in the room was very small and somewhat ineffective. We attempted to wash several loads and each time, the cycle would just stop midway for no reason whatsoever. We notified the front desk and they did not respond that day but a very nice man named Drew came by the next day and serviced the dryer. It worked fine after that.
The amenities for the children were great. They have three pools for the kids (a lap pool from ankle deep to four feet in depth, a lazy river that is about three and a half feet deep all the way around and a toddler pool that is only one and a half feet deep). The water that flowed throughout the toddler pool sprinklers was intermittent and sometimes nonexistent. When it did flow, my three year old loved it. There is also a jetted hot tub but out of respect for the adults, I kept my children out of it…many other parents did not.
Up to this point, everything was better than an average stay anywhere else….now to the jeers….
PARKING…. We were always able to park on the grounds of the hotel because as owners, we had that privilege. That meant that we had to display a certain parking permit in or windshield. There were times that I could not even pull out of a certain area of the parking lot because people had taken the liberty to park wherever they could thereby blocking the only exit. Needless to say, this complete lack of situational awareness and selfishness aggravates me to no end. What equally aggravates me is that the hotel staff made no attempt to police up this kind of selfish behavior. I had to go and point this out to the staff at which time the concierge said “we’ll try and find out who own the vehicle”….not acceptable. I provided my vehicle information upon check in so I know they had those imbeciles’ information and room number. The other issue was people not taking the time to properly line up their vehicle within the white lines of the parking space that they were in. Why this big deal….because the same person that is too lazy to park straight is also too lazy to make sure their car door doesn’t hit my vehicle.
Overall, the staff was exceptionally nice and pleasant. When they are genuine like this, it is easy to spot the staff member that has a terrible personality. This person works outside at the pool side bar. I won’t mention any names but she is the blonde that finds it impossible to smile or take even an extra second to make any PAYING customer feel welcome.

Room Tip: Call in advance, get your confirmation number and insist on the detailsin writing!
3 Thank BrendanRAM
, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your “outstanding” 2 bedroom villa. We are also glad that your maintenance issue with the washer and dryer were fixed quickly. Our amenities are “great for children.” We have a heated lazy river, children’s play area and more. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and have shared your comments with our department heads. We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention as we will address them immediately. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I was shocked when we arrived in our room to see that it was not at all like ANY of the photos online!! The room was old and musty and the bathroom tub drained super slow.
The breakfast was horrible, everything seemed like it was cooked in a microwave. There was hair on the serving plates and the buffet was not kept stocked. The worst part was that nobody offered us water or came to our table to check on us but I was charged a mandatory 18% gratuity...For what??!!
It cost me over $400 for 2 nights, I really expected so much more!

1 Thank Ebony H
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We have discussed your comments with our staff and management to ensure that they do not occur again. If you would like to discuss your stay, you are more than welcome to call the resort and speak to a member of management. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope that you give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Thunderbolt, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2012

some of your staff was very helpful. Miss Patty was a lot of help advising about restaurants. Luggage carts were in very short supply both checking in and out and your staff was not helpful at all this regards. Parking was aweful. Saturday night we had trouble finding a parking spot. Your parking attendant working that night was rude and disrespectful, The young man working during the day on Saturday and Sunday was extremely nice and helpful. My niece joined us there on Saturday. She is an owner at the Westgate Miami. She said that she would not be returning to the Myrtle Beach location. Neither will I but that had more to do with the type of people visiting Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: don't drive there. use a taxi. parking is not good.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing a vacation experience that exceeds your expectations and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Your comments regarding the parking attendant have been addressed and we have taken corrective action. Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I have read the reviews on here and can only say that my stay @ Westgate was great. My family and I did upgrade to room in the tower which was reasonable. We stayed on the 11th floor in a corner room (21111). It was beautiful. If you are able to update to a tower room I would advise to to do so. We had a oceanfront view and ocean view. 2 balconies king size bed with jacuzzi and separate bath. The second bedroom had 2 full size beds with a bath adjoining to the living room and kitchen. Had a sofa bed, 3 flat screens, and nice kitchen with washer and dryer. The only complaint I had was the dryer took longer to dry clothes, but it was an apartment size one, so no big deal, and one of the VCR's in the larger bed room was not hooked up (no cord). The view from our balconies was fabulous and the wind is so nice. We sleep with the doors open each night. Plenty of room for your items. The kitchen was so nice. Everything in our room was nice and clean. I have read reviews about the amusement park, but it was no bother and our ocean view balcony was right by the amusement park and the hotel part. I don't know what the reviews on here are talking about and we had our door balcony door open. Noise just was not that much of a big deal, as the park closed each night @ 12. The parking is a problem if you do not get in at a decent time, but we only had to park in the lot one time across the street, but that was no biggie as it was not really that far. All in all it was a nice stay from Mon-Sat (June 18-23) The concierge did call and check on us and was very nice. Also Trevor and Gwen was so nice at check in and Theresa was nice at checkout. Me and my family will return. Enjoyed it all thanks Westgate and Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: Rooms in tower all looked nice. Cleaning people was always out cleaning and it smelled good there...
2 Thank missnikkib21
, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Thank you for your review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. We are so glad that you “Enjoyed it all” at our resort! Our goal is to provide a quality vacation experience that exceeds all expectations and it appears as though our staff accomplished that with their great customer service. Our staff works very hard to ensure that our guests and owners are enjoying their stay so we appreciate your kind words in mentioning the concierge, Trevor, Gwen and Theresa as “so nice".Thank you for choosing Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort for your Myrtle Beach vacation. We look forward to exceeding your expectations again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2012

When I hear the name Westgate I think of a top notch resort. This was anything but top notch. When I reserved this hotel I thought that the name would live up to my expectations. However, it did not. At 1:30 in the morning I checked on my daughter that was sleeping in the bed next to us and pulled the covers back to find that she was laying in a bed full of BED BUGS. That was so DISGUSTING... That alone ruined our entire vacation. Needless to say we had to wake our daughter in the middle of the night which scared her to death. I called the front desk and they immediately moved us to another room. Once in the new room we found it very hard to get comfortable and go back to sleep. Not only did we have to deal with the bed bugs, the bathroom was disgusting. The shower wall was cracked and there was mold and mildew all over the floor between the toilet and the shower. The next morning I went to the front desk to report the bed bugs to the manager and her staff had not even told her that there was an issue with bed bugs which leads me to believe that they just moved someone else in there without even cleaning it. I will NEVER stay in a Westgate resort again. My suggestion for management is if you are going to have your staff try to schedule tours and sell the resort you need to make it worth wanting to invest our hard earned money into.

Room Tip: Stay Away. This is a place that you would take prostitutes not your family.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. After a thorough inspection of your room, both by our trained and certified inspectors and our professional pest control company, we did not find any bed bugs in your unit. We are sorry this was not communicated to you as it should have been. What you reported was determined to be a beetle that is not indigenous to this area but has been seen with some frequency this spring clinging to people’s clothes and on buildings. They are completely harmless, yet unusual, and we completely understand why you were alarmed. They most likely entered your room attached to your clothing or flew in while the balcony door was open. We treat all of our rooms with a very high standard of cleanliness and service and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Once again thank you for your recent review and we hope that in the future you would give us the opportunity to serve you again.