“A hidden gem”
Review of Waikiki Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Waikiki Village
Ranked #39 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Toronto, Canada
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My family stumbled across this hidden gem 7 years ago and we have returned every year since then. This is an older facility that is well maintained and above all, it is kept very clean. The owner is present every day and it is obvious that she takes pride in her facilty. The staff are friendly and helpful, creating a welcoming atmosphere. We meet many of the same guests year after year and of these, quite a few are now bringing their second and third generation family members to vacation at the Waikiki. The beach is directly across the street-a three minute walk. The pool is kept clean and the water is pleasantly warm. All applicances in the units with efficiencies work well (fridge, stove, microwave, toaster) ensuring a comfortable stay for guests. Barbecues are provided in a common area and these are also kept clean. I heartily recommend this facilty to those who are looking for a clean, comfortable place for a family vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
localmyrtlebeach, Manager at Waikiki Village, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
We at Waikiki appreciate your patronage and thank you for writing this review. We hope to see you here for many years to come. We sincerely enjoy being a part of your family vacation memories.Hope to see you in 2013 !

Nancy and the Waikiki Staff
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I reluctantly am writing this review. I very much like the owners and desk
clerk. But have to say it, and show it, as i see it.
RM 206

THE GOOD:

Nancy and Mr. Harry. They are FRIENDLY, NICE and strive to keep customers happy!
The pool.
The shuffleboard and putting green up front by office.
The private balconies.
The A/C worked great! It was a hot one the days I was there.
The shower head was super, lots of pressure and it didn't take me hours to rinse out shampoo

THE BAD:

The smell. Its was god awful for me. It burns my throat, sinuses, and eyes I slept with the patio door wide open the the first night just trying to air it out. I thought it was an ozone machine, but they said the didn't have one.
The owner said it was probably the cleaning solutions they used. I think she was right.
The next day the owner did offer to take me around to different rooms to
see if any of them was better. I declined since i had already gone thru two and the lobby smells the same.
I ended up moving the 2 chairs that were plastic out on the balcony which helped.
The maids would try to get in the room first, knock later. It's startling
when you're asleep and you keep hearing this.

GET DIFFERENT CLEANER

The WIFI did not work in this room. I had to go out on the balcony and try to aim my computer at another hotel. I HATED this!

It is very busy on the blvd all night long. Good thing the a/c is loud, so it
drowns out all the trucks, scooters and motorcycles.
I would sit on the balcony nightly. (To use my computer)
Last night I was there I had a front row (balcony seat) to what appeared to be illicit behavior. I informed the owner and told her what I saw. She thanked me and said it would be taken care of. They have a policy only to rent to couples and families. Evidently these guys slipped thru the rules. So be observant of every thing around you. Glad my kids weren't with me to witness this.

THE UGLY:

I didn't find this hotel quite as clean as others did. Although it's VERY outdated, that was only part of problem. I took pictures to back up my claims so you could she what I saw, then come to your own conclusions.
I'm sure for many, these pics will mean nothing, but it was enough of an issue for me to post them.

The bathroom was dirty period. Pics will show that. Whoever caulked the bathroom should be fired.
Towels and bedspread were dirty. Wasn't sure what
those stains are, but I'm going to tell myself its rust.
The kitchen along with everything else is dated, but that refrigerator has got
to go. It is sooo rusty.
The bathroom door didn't close all the way, but not a problem for me, since I was traveling alone.

I like these people so much I didn't want to write any thing negative on my review, but i would like to be aware of things like this when making a decision.
It is a cute, quaint retro-ly cool place. It makes me want to go in and
completely re-do a room for them!

Would I ever come back? Maybe. If they take me up on my offer to re-do one of the rooms! ;) ........and use a different cleaning solution.

Room Tip: Top floors non-smoking. Bottom floors smoking. i like the rooms over looking the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank pilotswifecincinnati
localmyrtlebeach, Manager at Waikiki Village, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
We are very sorry that you did not have a positive experience during your stay with us. We sincerely want all our guest to enjoy their vacation. When you are not happy at a property, you should ask for a refund and find different accomadations. Just a few weeks ago, a guest arrived with extra persons and his room was not large enough. We helped him find accomdations at another motel and gave a refund.
Rust is an major issue at all properties here at the beach. We buy new appliances and in just a year it can happen. The refrigerator in your room had some rust but operated well. Each year, we replace and paint several appliances. This room is scheduled to be done in the off season.
We still can't smell the odor that bothered you so much.I am very sorry but we haven't had anyone else to have these issues. Our cleaners are just pine cleaner, bleach, Grease Lightning and Fabuloso. The carpets were cleaned 2 weeks before your arrival so maybe it was that cleaner. The chairs are a high quality vinyl which are easy to clean.
The housekeepers always knock on the doors first. If they do not hear any response, they assume you are out and try to go in and clean the room. They did tell us that they could not service your room.
We are constantly treating stains on our linens. This is a challenge in the busy season so some stains can slip by us.We wash bedspreads on each checkout.
Your issues were many and I am truly sorry that you were so unhappy. By the way, the other customer that you complained about was asked to leave because of his behavior. I appreciate you informing us about this.
We are an older property so not new and shiny. We do try to offer reasonable and clean accomdations. I am sincerely sorry that you were so unhappy.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I just spent 5 nights at the Waikiki Village from 7/23 to 7/28. The company's website describes the hotel as a small 2-story 60’s style motel with only 43 units. In some areas it shows it's age but one could advance the view that this is a part of the "character" of the place. It's an older hotel so you are not going to get some of the new fancy stuff but in reality you aren't missing anything.

The owners state that Waikiki is one of the last “MOM and POP” motels in Myrtle Beach, and that they offer clean accommodations, exceptional personal services with gracious “Southern Hospitality.

Every word is true. The place is exceptionally clean, the rooms are comfortable, the rates are reasonable and the service is unbeatable. What more can one ask for? This is just a great place to stay. I've stayed at other places on Ocean Blvd and they charge twice the price. Waikiki is a better value, their service and comfort is so much better.

Room Tip: 2nd floor overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
localmyrtlebeach, Manager at Waikiki Village, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you here again very soon. We do strive for customer satisfaction so please let us know if you ever need any assistance while here. Once again many thanks for selecting us.
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here several times and I love it. You always see the dame smiling faces It is clean and the people are wonderful. I also love how they only rent to couples and family's. Can't wait until next year.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank cowgirl2011
pilgrims knob
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my two kids and husband for the night. The staff was wonderful, the man who checked us in was wonderful. Unlike most hotels this place was friendly and well worth the price paid. The room we stayed in was great and clean! We will be staying here again :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family