“Best last minute trip ever..”

Palmetto Shores Oceanfront
Ranked #124 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lexington, Kentucky
“Best last minute trip ever..”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My 3night 4day trip was affordable and convienent. Chris Gerald was manager when I arrived and during my stay. He was very helpful and knowledgable of what was going on in thoffice.. He was on top of corrections and service.. Very professional and approachable in any thing we needed during our stay. My trip turned out to be great success and I will be coming back again very soon.. My reccomendation for anyone. Chris was awesome and his crew Charlie in maintence was a life saver and other but I Cant remember their names right off. Thanks guys.. Breakfast was great

Room Tip: Just call and check whats avaliable.. they work with you and explain it very well.. I thought for t...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback about our property. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also happy about your kind words about Chris and Charlie. Our property is one that represnts a great value with great people and a great location. I'm hope you get to come back and enjoy it again.

Dave Rodham
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is a decently priced hotel for the lack of service. We stayed in the coral building, which meant that you had to lug your luggage up the first set of stairs and take the elevator on the first floor. Thank goodness we were only on the second floor because the elevator could've collapsed at anytime. It jumped when one person got out and the floor was caving in. When we arrived in our room, the kitchen was extremely tiny, our bathroom was slightly dirty, and we had no safe in the room. Over the course of our seven day stay, they serviced our room twice (making beds, taking towels, sweeping). This didn't pose as a problem though because everytime they did service our room we would find little hairs in our bed.

The top lock to our outside patio was ripped off and what was left of the chain remained. This made me very uncomfortable because it seemed as though the workers smoked in the room next to us before their "daily cleaning".

What made our stay completely terrible was the fact that the ice machine was in the basement of the hotel. Not only was the basement hot and muggy, but if you looked on the steps, handrails, and walls there were at least 5-10 visible COCKROACHES. Oh did I mention that the basement is where they clean the towels and sheets? Disgusting, dirty, terrible. Underneath our kitchen sink was a cockroach. By the time our stay was over, the roaches seemed to be gone. (they must've heard me yelling that there were roaches in the basement every day) The only stairwell that didn't have bugs reeked of urine. Finally to top it all off, during our last three night, the hallway would reek of marijuana, which would eventually creep it's way into our room.

I would not stay in this building ever again, maybe another building would be better but I'd rather just go somewhere else for the amount of money we put into it. The service and people were all very nice, but the cleanliness of the rooms wasn't worth it.

3 Thank Katie C
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that the quality of your room was not good at all. We have a new Director of Housekeeping and we are working hard each day to assemble a professional and dedicated housekeeping team. I understand the concerns of the ice machine in the Coral building. We are seeking alternatives to move it from its current location.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Logan Ohio
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We decided to take a trip this year to myrtle beach. We didn't want to spend this much this year so we dicited to stay a palmetto shores. Well after waiting 25 mins to check in our room was ready they didn't have a lot of people's ready (this was after the 3pm chech in time) they tell me my room is 200. On my reservation it says I have a oceanfront 1 bedroom penthouse, now I don't stay a lot of hotels all that I have stayed at the pent houses are at the top. But at this point I really don't care I been in the car for 10 hours and the lobby was full of people I just wanted to get to my room. So I get in the room and I take off my shoes and the floor doesn't fell to clean and I'm looking around and the wasn't a desser to put Clothing in you you had to leave you're stuff in you suit case all week. Then I head int the bathroom and look in the shower and there was hair in it so I went down to the dollar gernral and got things to clean the shower with. Also the living room part of the condo smelled like smoke. One of the bed frames was missing a wheel on the bottom. I used the toaster and it just laid the toast on the heater thing and good thing I stayed around or the toast could have fought on fire.

The wifi worked but I had to go down to the pool to connect and it was rather slow.

Later I went down to ask about my penthouse and they said that all the room in the building were penthouses.........even though the elevator had penthouse buttons. But I didn't care there was always some waiting for it I just took the stairs all week. The place want should proofed were well because the was some mustang thing going on and that all you heard at night.

I give it 2 stars because of the location ( if you like being close to the board walk) and the people that worked there were nice and the room had a good view.

If your on a budget and like being close to the boardwalk this might be the place for you. But it want the place for me.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kemer1
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you did not have a positive experience at our property. We are working very hard each day to improve how we operate in all aspects. That does not excuse a poor performance for your visit. From my staff and I please accept our humble apologies.

Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We only paid 99 a night and it was oceanview...we did have a microwave, fridge, stove top and two queens....The hotel claims to be renovated, but ours wasn't. It had a few issues....tub was stopped up and drained terrible...beds were hard as a rock...the maid service only came about every other day and the last 3 days we didn't even get our trash taken out much less the beds maid or the floors swept....
We wanted to stay an extra night because we left a day early...when calling the hotel I was placed on hold 3 different times and was told on the last call to call back in 5 minutes....so to make a long story short..they had horrible customer service skills as well....
If we did stay here again it would ONLY be for the price and not the service that is for sure!!!

3 Thank Wendy C
Thank you for your feedback on our property. I can understand some of the frustrations you must have had. I can say that becuase of feedback like yours we have worked hard on improving service for all of our guests. I realize this does not make up for your visit, but I wanted you to know we take feedback seriously.

Aiken, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great location, but not a great experience. Check-in is at 3, but at 3 there were easily 20 people trying to check in and NONE of the rooms were ready. My husband and I were able to go to the beach, but other families were really upset because they were stuck with their luggage, kids, etc. and had to just wait. I checked back at 4 and the room was STILL not ready and the lobby was just getting fuller and fuller with MAD people. Everyone was asking for a manager, but they were supposedly at one of the other buildings. My room was finally ready at 4:30. When we got off the elevator it smelled like a mix between fish and cigarette smoke. When we got in our room I really didn't want to touch anything. The best part of the room was the bathroom sink (although even it was a little dirty). One of the stove burners was bent and pulled back and the stove looked like it was easily 20 years old and I wouldn't dare use it to prepare my food! I didn't want to use anything in the kitchen area! Sleep was horrible because the 2 pillows were paper thin, there was what appeared to be a blood stain on the sheet (which we covered with a towel because it was late and we were tired) and at 6am someone was blowing off the parking lot..when I called the lobby to complain they said they would take care of it. I saw someone approach the man and say something to him, but he continued to finish the parking lot anyway.

Luckily, my husband and I didn't plan on staying in the room much...but I would NEVER go back!!

2 Thank Sarah B
I am very sorry you had this experience at our property. We have worked hard to improve housekeeping over the summer and I feel it is starting to show. Thank you for your feedback and please know we do take it seriously.